Tabletop brand H. J. Stotter, the next Tervis Tumbler?

July 5th, 2008 · 8 Comments

We all know the success story of revived Tervis Tumber.

These insulated glasses, with different designs inserted inside, are sold with every sort of design and logo.

But there are other home fashion brands that are ready for revival, and have a history and tradition that is bankable today.

Of the great WASP home accessories brands, there is H.J. Stotter, now called Stotter & Norse. Their website shows none of the current product line, save that the brand is owned by Injectron. The Plainfield, New Jersey-based brand achieved its greatest popularity in the 1960s and 1970s, when its colorful plastic tumblers and other tableware were sold at high-end prep-type retail and gift shops.

Items from H. J. Stotter were a VERY popular wedding gift in the 1960s and 1970s; not only were they considered “good taste” they were terribly practical. We are sure that many a Rye, New York household still sports a few, though the worn-out ones have probably gone into the mudroom to serve as a scoop for the dog food for the Labrador.

Stotter tumblers and bar-ware were typically slightly clear, with bright patterns of flowers in the style of companies like Marimekko and Vera.

The H. J. Stotter Co. was started by Herbert J. Stotter, who died in 1967. The company was not only known for glasses, but sold a complete tabletop line and was more a fashion brand like Vera Bradley.

Stotter was of the sort of folk he sold to, and lived at 417 Park Avenue in New York. Many of the designs were done by Beatrice Stotter (not sure of the relationship but she was a sort of pre-television Martha Stewart type). The company was high end; it was originally in the business of silk fabrics, or so say early clippings. James H. Stotter Jr. of the firm also patented a smokeless ashtray.

In the 1940s, its operations were considerable. It even hired ad firms like Hockaday Walsh. It even had subsidiaries, like Edgar Watkins at Home, which sold ice buckets for WASP parties and other housewares (some look a bit like Jonathan Adler). Stotter considered themeselves the “Welcome mat at the finest tables” and had a showroom at 225 Fifth Avenue in the New York Gift Building. Today, sadly, the only thing on Amazon.com with the Stotter name is a Stotter & Norse Crystal Wine set.

Want to know more? A BrandlandUSA Research Report on the history of H.J. Stotter brand is available. Email writer Garland Pollard by clicking here.

Tags: Deathwatch

• 1 pauline m. gopin // May 31, 2010 at 1:15 pm

i have from many, many yrs ago, dark blue very heavy plastic ar.12″ tumblers which I love made by H.J.Stotter, N.Y. (4) is at the bottom. I wd like to buy a dozen. Please advise and thank u.

• 2 Mary Jo Bowman // Jul 14, 2010 at 5:16 pm

Many years ago, at Marshall Fields in Chicago, I purhadsed a 70″ round Organdee Scroll Buffet cloth which was an organdy look transparent plastic tablecloth complete with a liner. It came in white, blue and pink. After all these years the tablecloth has torn and I wondered if there was any change one might still be available. I don’t care what color liner since I have liners – I need the top transparent plastic that is blossoms entwined in scroll work.

Your help is appreciated. I know this is a long time ago but I thought there might be a chance one 70″ round cloth could be available.

Mary Jo Bowman, maryjokc@sbcglobal.net

• 3 mike // Aug 1, 2010 at 3:36 pm

I’ve got a “party stotters party glass”. It allows you to wear the glass as a necklace. It says to “tie one on at your next party”

What do you think about that?

• 4 rosemary // Feb 14, 2012 at 9:58 pm

I have six vinly foar plastic placemats with navy alphabet signals. We used them on our cruiser & houseboats during the 70s. Each has the word stotter in the lower right hand corner. Can find NO information on them.

• 5 Laurie Houck // Jul 11, 2012 at 3:02 pm

I found a H J Stotter tray, ice bucket, and tumblers with a pink tulip design. This is the first time I was not able to find anything at all about an item. Your article was helpful. I wish I

• 6 Elsie Strain // May 29, 2013 at 5:51 pm

FYI: pauline m. gopin

I have more than four of the dark blue heavy plastic glasses 4″ high and approx. 3″ in diameter by H. J. Stotter with a 1 on the bottom, but would like some more. I, too, have truly enjoyed mine. Was a gift. Will look further.

• 7 omer // Jun 30, 2013 at 4:15 am

I was saddened to read that H J Stotter is no longer made. I am from Australia, and use to retail this brand in my homewares store. I still have some which I still use today. It was the height of chic, at the time, for plasticware.

• 8 Karen J. // Jan 4, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I have 6 plastic, Christmas tumblers, red with holly on them. I am interested in finding more. I remember my aunt using them on New Years
    day, as far back as I can remember . I was happy to get them from her estate after she passed 2 years ago.