Thinking Louis Sherry Ice Cream

April 6th, 2009 · 32 Comments

NEW YORK -  We are so over Ben and Jerry’s, and are tired of hippie wanna-bes with pierced crap in their noses and lips serving us overpriced ice cream, all the while standing next to guilt-inducing tipjars. We are so tired of them that we don’t even care if it’s an “and” or an ampersand.

We say this. If you have to pay $5 bucks for a cone, you might as well get something worth five bucks. That something would be Louis Sherry, though we have to admit, we’d only pay a buck for the tasty honey roll cone at right.

You know Louis Sherry. That elite little ice cream and candy brand. Yes, we do like Sealtest or High’s Ice Cream. And Carvel’s cake is great.

But somehow, we very and most fondly remember Louis Sherry.

Vermont born Louis Sherry (1855-1926) was an important restaurateur and caterer to the Gilded Age. Beginning at the Brunswick Hotel at 26th St & Fifth Avenues, then the Elberon Hotel in Elberon, N.J, he eventually opened a restaurant at 38th Street and 6th Avenue. His obituary from the Woodlawn Cemetery website goes this way:

When the ‘Mikado’ opened in New York, Sherry cornered the market in Japanese parasols and ornaments used in cake decoration. He began to receive orders from the carriage trade. He said of this, ‘Nothing goes further with dainty people than dainty decorations.’

The restaurant closed during the Depression. Sherry apparently had some problem with “Bolsheviks” and couldn’t stomach the commies. Atlas Shrugged! You bet.

According to a 1950 Time magazine article, the brand was partly owned by Mrs. Lucius M. Boomer, who was the widow of the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel’s longtime board chairman. Boomer founded the confectionery company with the late Louis Sherry after Sherry’s fashionable Fifth Avenue restaurant closed down. According to USPTO searches, the name was owned by Borden and Beatrice Foods.

Sherry and Boomer together developed The Sherry-Netherland (781 Fifth Avenue, New York, New York 10022-1046, 212-355-2800, www.sherrynetherland.com) where residents could eat from the Sherry kitchen. Thankfully, it’s still around, keeping the Sherry legacy alive.

Bring Back Sealtest Milk. Yes. Of course.
Brigham's Closes Last Boston Ice Cream Store, a Not So Wicked Move

Tags: Brandicide · Grocery · Regional Brands

• 1 elana // Dec 4, 2009 at 6:34 pm

my dad metioned this ice cream he said it was expensive but the taste was worth it. aw man! i wish i could try some of this ice cream!

• 2 a v mcgowan // Apr 7, 2010 at 12:34 pm

many wedding receptions took place at louis sherrys on park ave in the mid 40’s.when did it close??

• 3 Ron l. // May 17, 2010 at 5:01 pm

I located a Louis Sherry inc. stock certificate.
    Is this certificate, still listed on any stock exchange?
    or have any value?

• 4 mariagrazia // Jun 16, 2010 at 4:52 am

vorrei assaggiare i gelati luis sharry. ma in italia ci sono?

• 5 Paul // Jul 25, 2010 at 12:07 pm

Hi Ron,

If you are interested in selling the stock certificate my friend is a decedent of Louis Sherry and she collects many of the memorabilia.

• 6 Jeff // Aug 6, 2010 at 8:15 am

I also have located an old stock certificate of Louis Sherry Inc and wonder if there is any interest in it.

• 7 lisa andrew // Aug 19, 2010 at 12:54 pm

Hi,
    My mother-in-law is the granddaughter of Louis Sherry and she grew up in New York at the restaurant and in the Sherry Netherland hotel. We would be very interested in buying the old stock certificate of Louis Sherry Inc. We would also love to talk to the friend of Paul who is a decendent of Louis Sherry to find out the connection. My mother-in-law’s maiden name is Virginia Sherry

• 8 glenn leslie // Dec 15, 2010 at 12:08 pm

louis sherry’s cherry vanilla had whole cherries in it many of them to be exact it was awesome — glenn leslie

• 9 Denise Chatman // Dec 22, 2010 at 10:37 am

Was there ever any more beautiful packaging than the purple chosen to package the ice cream and the candies.
    My grandfather and grandmother Peter and Edna Koch knew Louis Sherry. I heard the name mentioned quite often over the years. …long after Mr. Sherry had passed away.

• 10 Darien White // Jan 13, 2011 at 1:08 pm

I also have located an old stock certificate of Louis
    Sherry Inc and wonder if there is any interest in it. please
    contact me

• 11 Jim Maida // Mar 12, 2011 at 9:50 pm

Is his ice cream still available anywhere? As a kid and young adult I would eat only this ice cream. It was incredible. I have been searching to find out if they are still in business. If so, PLEASE let me know where I can get it.

• 12 Anonymous // Mar 26, 2011 at 6:50 am

As a kid in Queens, NY, I’d spend weekends at my Aunt Rose’s and she always gave me Louis Sherry ice cream – it was the best!!!

• 13 Chet Kingsbury // May 28, 2011 at 2:48 pm

My wife just bought some “Butter Brittle” and I remembered the best in the world from Louis Sherry, Butter Brickle

• 14 Andy Novins // Jun 11, 2011 at 2:40 pm

I
    remember eating Louis Sherry ice cream in
    Louis Sherry candy store was located in
    East Atlantic Beach Long /Long Beach it was near Brookline and Beach Blvd in the early 40’s. It was the best ice cream I ever tasted. It was so rich the vanilla was slightly yellow from the butterfat. It wouldn’t completely harden. I brought it home to my folks one day and they wouldnt eat anything else.

• 15 Jack Dobrow // Jun 14, 2011 at 12:42 pm

I am attempting to find a retail shop that sells Louis
    Sherry chocolates. I am only able able to locate places that have other Louis Sherry products. I
    would appreciate it very much if someone would
    contact me. I am the Jack Dobrow from Florida,not
    the one from New York. If you are interested in
    poetry, please see my web site: jackdobrow.com

• 16 Jack Dobrow // Jun 14, 2011 at 12:43 pm

Please help me locate a retail shop that has Louis
    Sherry Chocolates.

• 17 camille catarelli // Jun 15, 2011 at 1:34 pm

there never was and never will be another ice cream like Louis Sherry. What happy memories it evokes. Thank you, God, for Louis Sherry.

• 18 Donald R. Fox // Aug 18, 2011 at 7:39 am

I was born in Brooklyn, NY (Nov 1932). I remember Louis Sherry Ice Cream very well. Wonderful! I have a 9 1/2 long Louis Sherry ice cream scoop, heavy stainless steel with a 5 inch fine wooden handle. Maybe a rare item?

• 19 Mike // Aug 22, 2011 at 9:47 am

I grew up eatting plenty of Lewis Sherry ice cream. My father worked at the plant at 777 Kent Ave in Brooklyn. As a kid I was there a few times and remember getting to taste the ice cream right after it came out of the machine, talk about ice cream flavor!!!!!

• 20 Brian Charles // Nov 22, 2011 at 6:21 pm

My favorite was Butter Almond/Chocolate. Used to buy it at Safeway Stores in Maryland. Would love to have some again!

• 21 linda pelka // Dec 26, 2011 at 7:13 pm

i found a stock certificate dated 1968. Louis Sherry, Inc. any value in it?

• 22 Saul // May 27, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I have a 1950″s plug in sign 18 inches by 14 inches… I perfect condition… Still works… I would rather give it to the family if they would like to buy it… I had it in my store for many years. barryh4456@aol.com

• 23 Saul // May 27, 2012 at 1:22 pm

It says only Louis Sherry on the sign and is purple in the backround

• 24 Jennifer // Jun 11, 2012 at 5:10 pm

They still sell Louis Sherry chocolates at The Plaza Food Hall in New York. I bought some for my mom for mothers day and they were delicious!

• 25 ron novak // Jun 22, 2012 at 10:16 am

i have a tin that the broadway gun girl owned. her husband had gifted it to her. i have done a little research on it but would love to sell. email me sentryfloorservice@yahoo.com

• 26 ron novak // Jun 22, 2012 at 10:17 am

i for got to add its was in 1932

• 27 George // Jun 26, 2012 at 3:35 am

They sell Louis Sherry chocolates at Mary Mahoney on Worth Ave in Palm Beach. Definitely some of the best chocolates I have ever had. Actually stumbled upon this website looking for somewhere I can order some online but cant seem to find any.

• 28 Annette // Sep 5, 2012 at 8:41 am

I have engaged in a life-long search for an ice cream that tastes like Louis Sherry’s vanilla (or is it French vanilla) ice cream my grandmother used to serve me. The closest I have come to is Haagen Dazs’ rum raisin — only because I remember a slightly alcoholic taste to it. Does anybody have other suggestions?

• 29 Richard Donnell // Feb 14, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Please let me know where I might get Louis Sherry Vanilla Bean ice cream. It was the absolute best. I now live in Maine. There must be some distributor. It was available in Columbus, OH several years ago. It’s got to be available somehow.

• 30 Pat // Aug 30, 2014 at 12:28 am

Where or Where can I taste Louis Sherry’s vanilla ice cream once again? It is the Standard by which I judge all vanilla ice cream. My mother would take me to the local drugstore on Linden Blvd. and help me climb up on an ice cream parlor chair. Then she would bring me this dish from Heaven. It was pale yellow and had flecks of vanilla bean throughout.

• 31 Olly // Sep 29, 2014 at 4:48 pm

In the late 1970’s I lived right across the street from a Louis Sherry Ice factory in Kent Ave Brooklyn NY, there work several nice gentlemen who every Friday use to bring boxes of free Ice cream for the kids in the block, I remember it being a great tasting ice cream, it use to be so fresh I think it closed down in the 1980’s it was sad to see the factory close down, please back fun memories.

• 32 r blue // Oct 30, 2014 at 9:36 pm

My father worked for Louis sherry. He would bring home tons of this delicious treat. At times we did not have enough room in our freezer. This ice cream was sooooo yummy…. I was a little girl from Brooklyn.