Did You Like 7Up’s Like Soda?

July 30th, 2011 · 6 Comments

Your alt textThere are so many great old soda brands that are no longer around. One of the more clever, graphic wise, is Like, which was a diet version of 7Up. Here, a bottle in the Morattico Waterfront Museum in Morattico, Virginia. The museum is the old Morattico Country Store, which also now includes exhibits of life on the Rappahannock River.

The drink Like was popular in the 1960s, but was discontinued when cyclamates were banned, making its slogan, “Diets Like Like” a bit obsolete.

Back in the day, soft drink companies had different brands for their diet drinks. For instance, Coca-Cola had Tab and RC had Diet Rite.

It later became Diet 7Up, and 7Up apparently brought back the brand Like as a cola drink.

Question: Was it a good tasting drink?

Branding Lesson's from Gloucester's W.J. Stokes Road House
Coca-Cola Bottle to be Replaced; America's Ise Shrine?
Views on Licensing from Pete Canalichio
Andy Warhol and Brands
Mello Yello Goes Back to Irvington, Virginia, 1979
Merry Christmas From Coca-Cola

Tags: Beverage

• 1 denise lee yohn // Aug 13, 2011 at 6:10 pm

interesting that companies moved from developing/promoting separate diet brands to using a master brand strategy (coke, diet coke, coke zero, etc.) — was the change due to the expense of building awareness and equity of different brands or due to the targets between regular and diet soda drinkers being one and the same (or similar)? hmmm…

• 2 Vincent T. Oddo // Aug 14, 2011 at 12:19 am

I actually remember Like as 7UP’s attempt to compete in the cola market in the mid-80s. It was alright, nothing that would want to make me give up Coke and Pepsi (I actually flitted between the two). One short-lived 7UP brand I remember more fondly is something called Quirst, which was a lemonade-citrus-flavored soda. I can still hear that “I feel like a Quirst” jingle in my head. It was around in the late-70s and then suddenly disappeared.

• 3 Garland Pollard // Aug 15, 2011 at 7:38 pm

Quirst..now thats one I had TOTALLY forgotten. Thanks for that reminder.

• 4 John Greco // Aug 22, 2011 at 7:16 am

I like the separate brand names for diet sodas, rather than Diet Coke, Diet Pepsi…which actually started out as Patio.

• 5 Don // Dec 11, 2012 at 9:44 pm

I appeared in a Quirst commercial filmed at the Old Chicago amusement park in Bolingbrook, IL. Unfortunately, due to the injunction, the commercial never aired. I would love to find a print of the commercial but I doubt if it survived.
    “Quench your thirst with Quirst!”
    I still have one can of Quirst stashed away.

• 6 Rich // Jan 29, 2017 at 6:59 pm

I heard that commercial for Like soda so many times one summer in the 1960’s that i memorized the words to the jingle.