Glad Mrs. Filbert’s Mayo is Still Around

May 11th, 2009 · 11 Comments

filbertsOne of our favorite companies, C.F. Sauer of Richmond, owns one of the great forgotten mayonnaise brands, Mrs. Filbert’s. At right, the Mrs. Filbert’s tower, from the Flickr page of Zeusface. Click on his collection, and you will see lots of cool stuff, including old Atlanta.

In the South, mayonnaise is important. Food snobs do not like it, but that is so wrong, because different degrees of vinegar make different mayo. For instance, I think Kraft mayo is WAY too sweet. And I find that lowfat mayo has an aftertaste.

The key to good food, especially in the summer is mayo. In Virginia, it was mostly all about Duke’s Mayonnaise, which is a North Carolina brand but owned by Richmond-based Sauer. However, just poking around their website, we noticed that they also now sell Mrs. Filbert’s. Mrs. Filbert’s was also a Southern brand, and we didn’t know how Southern until we saw the tower picture in Atlanta from Zeusface.

Sauer bought Mrs. Filbert’s in 1999. Sauer now owns Sauer’s Mayonnaise, Duke’s Mayonnaise and Mrs. Filberts. If Unilever ever sold them Hellman’s, we’d have to put the old Justice anti-trust on ’em!

There was actually a Mrs. Filbert, a Mrs. M.V. Filbert, who would give you your money back if you didn’t like the mayo.

We are glad Mrs. Filbert is still around.

Searching the Seven Seas salad dressing
Goodbye To Postum and Derby Tamales
Kraft Ditching Nabisco Brand? Looks Like It.
Mercury's Future, Waiting to Hear About Postum
Sound an Alarm for Eight O'Clock Coffee, Please
The Krafty Treatment of Sanka, Hardly Worth Beans

Tags: Grocery

• 1 Dooney Tickner // May 12, 2009 at 2:00 pm

Sauer’s also has the Bama brand and the JFG brand. These are Alabama and Tennessee regionals. Every one tastes different!

• 2 dig sandy // May 18, 2009 at 2:35 pm

Garland, Duke’s is SOUTH Carolina-born and -made! Not N.C.

• 3 MellowRoast // Jul 8, 2009 at 9:42 pm

JFG is produced by JFG Coffee Co. of Knoxville, Tennessee, which is a subsidiary of Reily Foods in New Orleans. Not affiliated with Sauer’s and Bama products.

• 4 stella carter // Mar 16, 2012 at 12:19 pm

where can I find mrs Filberts mayonnaise in martinsville va.

• 5 Linda Hall // Nov 11, 2013 at 6:30 pm

What has happened to Mrs. Filbert’s margarine?

• 6 Connee Sheckler // Jun 28, 2014 at 2:47 pm

Mrs. Filberts Mayonnaise was a Southern Brand but Baltimore, Maryland not Atlanta, Georgia. My late aunt was Mrs. Martha Filberts’ personal secretary.
    Reference:

• 7 Richard // Jul 2, 2015 at 12:08 pm

Mrs Filberts mayo has always been my favorite.
    Why is it not more available here in Pasadena
    Md. The only place I have been able to find it is
    at Mars supermarket and now that Mars has decided to close several stores it is even harder
    to get.

• 8 Crabb // Jan 9, 2016 at 6:36 pm

620-2163.. Where can I find mrs filberts mayonnaise in Norfolk Company.

• 9 David Smith // May 15, 2017 at 10:35 pm

Don’t bother trying to find Mrs. Filbert’s mayonnaise, and expect it’s like it used to be. Since Sauer of Richmond bought them out, all they did was stop the original Mrs. Filbert’s recipe, and fill the jars with there nasty Duke’s mayonnaise.
    Suggest you try Blue Plate Mayonnaise, sold at most Wal-Marts. That’s even better than the old Filbert’s, and very similar in texture and taste.

• 10 Judy Testerman // Dec 30, 2017 at 11:59 am

I love Mrs. Filberts Mayo. It’s hard to find here in Maryland. Redners is the only place I can find it. Help

• 11 Lady Anne // Jan 14, 2018 at 6:41 pm

As far as I know, Mrs. Filbert was a Maryland native – possibly a Baltimorean. My mum told me the Filberts had begun making their condiments during the Depression, just to get by. It was the only brand she ever bought.

In our neighbourhood, a Mrs. Filbert’s mustard jar was a standard measure. “Mrs. Harper is ill. I think we ought to make a food tree for her.”
    “Good idea. How much do you thing we should send?”
    “Well, she’s alone. I think a Mrs. Filbert’s mustard jar of soup ought to be enough for a meal.”