|From Flicker Vintage Review|
What’s fun about the new Vassarette ad campaign is that the Vassarette brand is one of the oldest bra brands in the United States.
Vassarette’s new ad campaign includes the Vassarettes, a group of women not afraid to play rock in their bras.
Vassarette was once a sister company to Munsingwear. A timeline from their website:
- Vassarette was originally the Vassar-Swiss Underwear Company of Chicago.
- By 1900, it was known as a maker of ribbed union suits for gentlemen and women’s underwear.
- In 1951, the Vassarette label became known for its women’s lingerie by its parent company, Munsingwear.
- In 1958, Vassarette was combined with another Munsingwear holding company to form Hollywood Vassarette. You can read about the history of Munsingwear by seeing our story on the revival of the Munsingwear Penguin.
- Martin Agency of Richmond apparently did some recent advertising.
- In 2009, the Vassarettes debut. They will appear April 19 on Style Network’s Running in Heels.
Today, Vassarette is a trademark of Vanity Fair Brands, LP.