Bermuda Fans Still Miss Trimingham’s

May 8th, 2008 · 8 Comments

Ever since it closed in 2005, folks have missed the Bermudian department store Trimingham’s. Fodor’s 1961 Guide to the Caribbean, Bahamas and Bermuda stated that the store had a “wide selection of bargains including doe-skin gloves, perfume, English handbags and Indian Madras sportswear.”

The store opened in 1842, and was known not only as a traditional department store for Bermudians, but a top stop for visitors.

We would love BrandlandUSA readers to do some sleuthing in Bermuda as to great old brands that are still around, or are gone. Other great Bermudian retail brands still around to look out for, and support, include:

We are still searching for information on:

• The Cedar Shop
  • Hildred, the children’s shop
  • The English Sports Shop
  • Peniston-Brown Co., Ltd.
  • The Bermuda Shop
  • H.A. & E. Smith, Ltd. (gone)

And while we are thinking of Bermuda brands, lets not forget the Furness Bermuda line, and it’s great ships the Queen of Bermuda, Monarch of Bermuda and Ocean Monarch, which sailed from Piers 95-97 in the afternoon and arrived in Bermuda 40 hours later, with schedules perfectly timed for weekend jaunts. We only wish one of those Celebrity or Carnival numbers would do a little renaming and get on the Bermuda route regularly.

You know, at one time B.O.A.C. flew jet-prop Britannias from New York. We think it would be darned amusing if British Airways still flew the route, though right now they only fly from Gatwick to Bermuda. New Yorkers would pay a premium to fly on a 3 p.m. flight from Kennedy to Hamilton.

Tags: Retail · Tourism

• 1 Vicky // Oct 22, 2008 at 10:06 am

I think that The Bermuda Shop was not actually in Bermuda; it was located on Madison Avenue in New York, as I recall.

• 2 History of Barritts Bermuda Ginger Beer | // Mar 28, 2009 at 7:30 pm

[…] our previous post, Bermuda Fans Miss Trimingham’s. Digg, Reddit, […]

• 3 Gerri // Feb 19, 2012 at 5:32 am

The Bermuda Shop was located on the corner of Reid & Queen Streets, opposite where the Phoenix used to be located. It was owned by Gibbons Company and sold more up-market clothes than their other shops – Gibbons Company (for Men) and Woman’s Shop. I don’t remember the year it closed, but it was a very long time ago.

There are pictures to be found on old postcard sites.

• 4 It Might Get Loud… | Arliss // Jun 21, 2012 at 8:55 pm

[…] Bermuda”. Chester Barrie’s still around. Trimingham’s…. well, not so much. Appropriately, since the jacket was sold to tourists in Bermuda, it only has a 1/4 lining (which […]

• 5 EmilyAnn Frances May // Jul 19, 2017 at 7:51 am

My family went on a summer vacation to Bermuda in 1968. While at Trimingham’s my parents bought me a woolen sweater dress. It was all natural and very warm. The quality of the merchandise was very high.

• 6 victoria // Jul 31, 2017 at 7:54 am

I just found a sweet Burmuda bag with the wooden handle and the inside lining has Triminghams all over it! Thrift shop for $1 I am researching this company and will be heading to Bermuda inOctober for my first visit.

• 7 Marti Rabb // Sep 28, 2017 at 10:33 am

Fifty years ago I got a sweater in Bermuda from H. A. & E. Snith. It finally wore out and I’d like to get a new one. Can you help?
    Martin Rabb

• 8 Garland Pollard // Sep 30, 2017 at 1:27 pm

Wish I could Martin…its always a challenge to find another when the product lines change. Sometimes there is Ebay but its hit or miss.