Tame Conditioner Returns As Frizz Tamer

August 4th, 2010 · 18 Comments

The original conditioner, Tame, is back on the shelves as a house brand at Dollar Tree. On the back, it has “Distributed by Dollar Tree” so you know its an exclusive.

The use of Tame as a store brand is part of a recent trend of retailers licensing old lower-tier brands that have some shelf appeal. The consumer thinks they are getting a national brand, and yet the discounter has an exclusive product.

The packaging says it dates from 1978 but I believe the product is much older. Originally it came in a round bottle and was called Tame Creme Rinse. The packaging says it is licensed by Silkience to Dollar Tree.

Above, a commercial from 1972. They did a smart thing by using the 1970s font for the new packaging. It’s sort of groovy, and while it does not resemble the font in the commercial seen above, it is seen in a later 1970s commercial.

I don’t remember that Tame was a product that consumers missed that much. Not that the product wasn’t good, it just sort of got forgotten. However, if others disagree, love to hear from them.

Tags: Health and Beauty

• 1 Stephanie // Sep 1, 2010 at 6:03 pm

I found Tame creme rinse in the dollar store yesterday and I was elated. I hope it works as well as it did in the 60s and 70s!!!

• 2 elisaross // Sep 5, 2010 at 10:10 am

I’ve been looking for Tame for years! I’m gonna try looking at the dollar store.

• 3 Cindy // Oct 14, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I got the tame shampoo and conditioner from dollar tree and used it for the 1st time tonight and I gotta say I’m impressed!!! after I got done blow drying my hair it was so so soft and the frizzies were less noticeable..I will be buying both again and again and again :)

• 4 Mrs. Godoy // Jan 11, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I just got it today from the dollar store hope it works
    smells great and purdy bottle lol got my attention

• 5 Janine // Aug 25, 2011 at 8:23 am

Called Dollar Tree..they don’t get this product anymore. I found it a couple of weeks ago, but not available anymore. Does anyone know where else it can be purchased?

• 6 kbrown5523 // Aug 25, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I loved this product, I grew up using it. I have fine hair and I’ve been looking for Tame for years. I finally found the shampoo at a Dollar Tree, but not the Creme Rinse! I hope I can find it somewhere.

• 7 Shelley // Jan 28, 2012 at 7:47 pm

I found some Tame shampoo today at the Dollar Tree (my first time there!) and I was elated!!! However, I couldn’t find the creme rinse, either. I’ll have to check out another location. Tame creme rinse was my absolute favorite! Loved the fresh scent! I never forgot it. I actually found one of the original bottles about 4 or 5 years on EBay. It smelled weird, but it worked the same. Can’t wait to try this! :)

• 8 Linder // Feb 5, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I’m going to check the Dollar Store. I’ve looked for Tame creme rinse before and couldn’t find it. We stayed at a Hotel while on vacation and they had it in the bathroom. I’ve been searching for it for a while. I love the way it leaves my hair.

• 9 Kristi // Mar 21, 2012 at 3:39 pm

No Tame at the Dollar Tree in Minneapolis. I’ll keep looking!

• 10 April Woods // Jun 29, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Been looking for this since the sixties!! Tame has been very much missed.

• 11 peggy // Jan 22, 2013 at 10:35 am

Hip, Hip ,Horaa, So happy to know I can buy a
    Tame product again even though its name has changed I hope it hasn”t. I have missed this product forever. Will look for it at the Dollar Tree today. Thanks

• 12 Eva // Jun 15, 2013 at 8:36 am

I live in the city I don’t have a dollar tree store in NY nothing is a dollar here. I love Tame shampoo and Tame cream rinse. Does anyone know where a girl can get hold of this product. It can blow all those new and improved products out the water. But I digress. My mom washed my hair with those products when I was a kid I loved it. Pls let me know where I might find it. Thanks.

• 13 debbie // Nov 5, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Are you kiding, I looked for Tame for so long
    the last time i found it I was it NC. 24 years ago
    I bought all the store had. I tried to find it again
    by using google. I live in TN. I hope what I am reading is true and I can find it at the dollar tree
    and not a nock off. This consumer missed this product very much. All these years I was looking
    for it. Going to make a trip to the dollar tree.
    Hope it is the real Tame.
    Thanks

• 14 Garland Pollard // Nov 10, 2013 at 5:45 am

Please tell me if it is still available at Dollar Tree and if it is up to scratch or just a fake. Next time I go to Dollar Tree I will look for it.

• 15 pennie // Mar 5, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Clairol took it off the market years ago, it is still found as the conditioner in their hair dye products…. They should bring it back! Will try DollarTree, hopeful that Silkience has put it there. sigh….

• 16 Diana // Jul 1, 2014 at 2:23 pm

I remember Tame Creme Rinse from the late 1950′s it was the first conditioner we ever used. It was great since my hair was waist length. Mama would rinse my hair in vineger to condition it before Tame.

• 17 Jiji // Jul 22, 2014 at 8:30 pm

I just bought both the shampoo and cream rinse at food city if anyone’s still looking for it. It was only 79 cents.

• 18 Dawn // Aug 12, 2014 at 10:06 am

Has anyone found this in Ohio yet? Does it go by another name?