Tame Conditioner Returns As Frizz Tamer

August 4th, 2010 · 49 Comments

The original conditioner, Tame, is back on the shelves as a house brand at Dollar Tree. On the back, it has “Distributed by Dollar Tree” so you know its an exclusive.

The use of Tame as a store brand is part of a recent trend of retailers licensing old lower-tier brands that have some shelf appeal. The consumer thinks they are getting a national brand, and yet the discounter has an exclusive product.

The packaging says it dates from 1978 but I believe the product is much older. Originally it came in a round bottle and was called Tame Creme Rinse. The packaging says it is licensed by Silkience to Dollar Tree.

Above, a commercial from 1972. They did a smart thing by using the 1970s font for the new packaging. It’s sort of groovy, and while it does not resemble the font in the commercial seen above, it is seen in a later 1970s commercial.

I don’t remember that Tame was a product that consumers missed that much. Not that the product wasn’t good, it just sort of got forgotten. However, if others disagree, love to hear from them.

Tags: Health and Beauty

• 1 Stephanie // Sep 1, 2010 at 6:03 pm

I found Tame creme rinse in the dollar store yesterday and I was elated. I hope it works as well as it did in the 60s and 70s!!!

• 2 elisaross // Sep 5, 2010 at 10:10 am

I’ve been looking for Tame for years! I’m gonna try looking at the dollar store.

• 3 Cindy // Oct 14, 2010 at 11:00 pm

I got the tame shampoo and conditioner from dollar tree and used it for the 1st time tonight and I gotta say I’m impressed!!! after I got done blow drying my hair it was so so soft and the frizzies were less noticeable..I will be buying both again and again and again 🙂

• 4 Mrs. Godoy // Jan 11, 2011 at 7:50 pm

I just got it today from the dollar store hope it works
    smells great and purdy bottle lol got my attention

• 5 Janine // Aug 25, 2011 at 8:23 am

Called Dollar Tree..they don’t get this product anymore. I found it a couple of weeks ago, but not available anymore. Does anyone know where else it can be purchased?

• 6 kbrown5523 // Aug 25, 2011 at 10:08 pm

I loved this product, I grew up using it. I have fine hair and I’ve been looking for Tame for years. I finally found the shampoo at a Dollar Tree, but not the Creme Rinse! I hope I can find it somewhere.

• 7 Shelley // Jan 28, 2012 at 7:47 pm

I found some Tame shampoo today at the Dollar Tree (my first time there!) and I was elated!!! However, I couldn’t find the creme rinse, either. I’ll have to check out another location. Tame creme rinse was my absolute favorite! Loved the fresh scent! I never forgot it. I actually found one of the original bottles about 4 or 5 years on EBay. It smelled weird, but it worked the same. Can’t wait to try this! 🙂

• 8 Linder // Feb 5, 2012 at 9:36 pm

I’m going to check the Dollar Store. I’ve looked for Tame creme rinse before and couldn’t find it. We stayed at a Hotel while on vacation and they had it in the bathroom. I’ve been searching for it for a while. I love the way it leaves my hair.

• 9 Kristi // Mar 21, 2012 at 3:39 pm

No Tame at the Dollar Tree in Minneapolis. I’ll keep looking!

• 10 April Woods // Jun 29, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Been looking for this since the sixties!! Tame has been very much missed.

• 11 peggy // Jan 22, 2013 at 10:35 am

Hip, Hip ,Horaa, So happy to know I can buy a
    Tame product again even though its name has changed I hope it hasn”t. I have missed this product forever. Will look for it at the Dollar Tree today. Thanks

• 12 Eva // Jun 15, 2013 at 8:36 am

I live in the city I don’t have a dollar tree store in NY nothing is a dollar here. I love Tame shampoo and Tame cream rinse. Does anyone know where a girl can get hold of this product. It can blow all those new and improved products out the water. But I digress. My mom washed my hair with those products when I was a kid I loved it. Pls let me know where I might find it. Thanks.

• 13 debbie // Nov 5, 2013 at 9:08 pm

Are you kiding, I looked for Tame for so long
    the last time i found it I was it NC. 24 years ago
    I bought all the store had. I tried to find it again
    by using google. I live in TN. I hope what I am reading is true and I can find it at the dollar tree
    and not a nock off. This consumer missed this product very much. All these years I was looking
    for it. Going to make a trip to the dollar tree.
    Hope it is the real Tame.
    Thanks

• 14 Garland Pollard // Nov 10, 2013 at 5:45 am

Please tell me if it is still available at Dollar Tree and if it is up to scratch or just a fake. Next time I go to Dollar Tree I will look for it.

• 15 pennie // Mar 5, 2014 at 11:31 pm

Clairol took it off the market years ago, it is still found as the conditioner in their hair dye products…. They should bring it back! Will try DollarTree, hopeful that Silkience has put it there. sigh….

• 16 Diana // Jul 1, 2014 at 2:23 pm

I remember Tame Creme Rinse from the late 1950’s it was the first conditioner we ever used. It was great since my hair was waist length. Mama would rinse my hair in vineger to condition it before Tame.

• 17 Jiji // Jul 22, 2014 at 8:30 pm

I just bought both the shampoo and cream rinse at food city if anyone’s still looking for it. It was only 79 cents.

• 18 Dawn // Aug 12, 2014 at 10:06 am

Has anyone found this in Ohio yet? Does it go by another name?

• 19 tona rankin // Sep 16, 2014 at 3:35 pm

i live in lakeland, fl. where can i find tame cream rinse.

• 20 Binny // Sep 20, 2014 at 10:50 am

OMG! just came across this! I’ve been missing Tame Creme rinse for years. I used Apple Pectin shampoo and Tame for years- ALWAYS got compliments on how shiny and soft my hair was. It wasn’t too heavy for fine hair and, since I had oily hair, I could use it without breaking out. I am going to go look for it.

• 21 Magaly Duchene // Nov 11, 2014 at 10:08 pm

where in brockton ma can find tame hair rinse

• 22 Carmella // Nov 25, 2014 at 11:09 am

I am so happy to find this again. I love it. My mother always used it on our hair.

• 23 Babette // Jan 1, 2015 at 4:51 pm

I have a green comb that came with Tame Creme Rinse & would love to get one for my daughter. Anyone have one?

• 24 Glenda Aul // Jan 14, 2015 at 3:33 am

I love tame! Have been looking for something as good since they stopped selling it! The only rinse that ever stopped static! I need it!!!

• 25 Betty Barrett // Jan 14, 2015 at 11:07 pm

I used Tame for years and when I had children I used it on my girls fine red hair. It was the best for our hair. Always looked soft and smooth and the scent was just lovely. Have searched for this product for twenty years and that includes scouring tiny little stores and old drugstores everywhere I have traveled. Really glad to know it is back ( hope it is the same). Will be checking tomorrow!

• 26 billie marsh // Jan 31, 2015 at 2:39 pm

i loved the lemon tame creme rinse. got rid of tangles and made your hair smell so good. i always carried it to the swimming pool and would shower before i left and use the products. i cant find it anymore and i think it worked better than th new stuff

• 27 CSLamb // Feb 27, 2015 at 4:12 pm

We used this back in the early 60’s and up until they quit distributing . I have extremely fine hair and have used today conditioners and just leaves my hair feeling heavy and gets greasy before I am ready to shampoo again. I would love to find this again and the original formula . Does any one know who made it and where I can get some.

• 28 Valarie // Mar 13, 2015 at 10:34 pm

I loved Tame in the’70’s, my hair used to be down past my rear end in those days. Sometime during the early 80’s it disappeared from the store shelves. I was so excited to see the shampoo at the Dollar Tree a couple days ago, but they didn’t have the conditioner so I didn’t buy it. I don’t want to buy unless I know I’ll be able to get both!

• 29 shirley mccormick // Mar 16, 2015 at 2:22 pm

Please continue with the TAME products. I love TAME.. I’ve looked at several stores here in North West, AR. I looked at Dollar Tree and not there. I will have to keep looking. Shirl Mc

• 30 Ruth // Apr 18, 2015 at 9:39 am

Omg I soon loved Tame Conditioner…I lived in Huntington Beach,Ca and my hair smelled better than the suntan lotions….best memories ever Tame n Ditto Jeans

• 31 donna // Apr 29, 2015 at 8:34 am

tame cream rinse was around in the middle 1960 s.I haven’t seen it here in Canada in years..wish we could get it again.

• 32 Elaine // May 24, 2015 at 11:22 pm

Whomever it was that made Tame cream rinse,should make it again.There are enough of us out there who would help promote it! Sadly missed.You could make a lot of$$$!!

• 33 Tee // Jun 8, 2015 at 4:38 am

I could not live without Tame cream rinse conditioner in the 70’s/80’s please bring this product back. The one with the green cao especially. It nevet weighed my hair down and gave my hair grest body! Miss you Tame!!!

• 34 Marlene // Aug 14, 2015 at 10:10 pm

Please help me find Tame Creme Rinse …Great memories of my Mom washing my hair when I was a little girl and my hair always looked Terrific!!!

• 35 Nnacy // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:25 pm

I used this back in the day and I loved it. I was just thinking about it and decided to look and see if I could find it and where I could find it and this is what I came up with. eqw

• 36 Nnacy // Aug 20, 2015 at 3:26 pm

I used this back in the day and I loved it. I was just thinking about it and decided to look and see if I could find it and where I could find it and this is what I came up with. I hope I can find it where I live.

• 37 Susan G. // Aug 25, 2015 at 4:19 pm

aug 25, 2015
    I live in Chestermere (near Calgary) Alberta, CANADA, I too am looking for Tame shampoo & conditioner.
    Just like you, used it when I was in highschool. If I find it , maybe we can chat. If you e-mail me please make sure you use the words tame shampoo, or I may delete you. thanks. Susan

• 38 bobby // Sep 15, 2015 at 5:59 pm

Found Tame shampoo at grocery store today. Cannot find creme rinse but do have Dollar Tree here n Tennessee.

• 39 Mari // Oct 22, 2015 at 1:46 pm

I would love to find the non shampoo version, creme rinse only from the early 70’s
    I would buy a gallon to start!

• 40 steve // Dec 1, 2015 at 9:21 pm

hey im, a dude,and I love the tame clean rinse ,when I lived at home.I had kinda long hair,that was the best stuff ever for my hair . been missin it for 30 years. glad Icould relate.later OH YEAH,SKYNYRD`S THE BEST.

• 41 Maryellen // Jan 20, 2016 at 11:32 pm

I’m so glad I finally thought to search online for TAME! We have Dollar Store nearby and I’m going there tomorrow! This was the cream rinse my sister and I grew up using- from the very early 60’s to the mid 70’s and then it disappeared 🙁 I hope they have it- if not, would anyone be willing to ship it, or give me the address of the dollar store near you that carries it so I can order it direct ? Thanks again!

• 42 Martha Koelemay // Jan 23, 2016 at 7:27 am

I am elated to find that Tame Creme Rinse still exists! My hair has always been extra-fine and flyaway, and I used to use Tame but stopped when I cut my hair very short back in the 70’s. Since I have retired I have let it grow back out, and in winter the static electricity could light my house! My regular Jhirmack conditioner doesn’t control it, so I am headed to the Dollar Tree for a bottle of Tame–thank you, thank you!

• 43 Sheila // Jan 25, 2016 at 1:16 pm

I have ed been looking for Tame Cream Rinse for 20years. I loved that product it’s the best. I will look at the dollar tree to see if I can find it.

• 44 Martha Koelemay // Feb 4, 2016 at 4:23 pm

I have looked at the two Dollar Trees within driving distance of me and they didn’t have it. Bah! I was so excited to see that it’s still around, but now I can’t find it. My hair is very fine and flyaway and the conditioners I have tried don’t do the job as well as I remember the Tame doing. I live in west-central Arkansas and have looked in Mena and Hot Springs, the two nearest towns (20 and 60 miles). Anybody find it in Arkansas?

• 45 Karen // Feb 26, 2016 at 2:39 pm

Tame is made by Evergreen. If we all emailed them, maybe they will bring the product back to the shelves.http://www.evergreenbrands.net/our-brands/tame/

• 46 Karen // Feb 26, 2016 at 2:43 pm

Evergreen Brands make the Tame products. Maybe, if all of us email the company, maybe they will bring it back to the shelves. http://www.evergreenbrands.net/our-brands/tame/

• 47 Ronnie // Mar 24, 2016 at 5:43 am

Please, please send it to Australia. Love Tame cream rinse. We used it in 60s and 70s.

• 48 Theresa // Apr 15, 2016 at 8:36 pm

Love tame! It seems to me, I’m not the only one!

• 49 Chris // May 11, 2016 at 4:27 am

Just left Evergreen a message about reproducing their product Tame..
    Let’s all keep sending messages..here is link

.http://www.evergreenbrands.net/our-brands/tame/