Yes, its the time for Super Bowl ads. A quick list of some of the planned commercials that are to run during the game:
- Pittsburgh Steeler Troy Polamalu takes on the starring role in “Mean Troy,” a new Coke Zero ad that puts an unexpected twist on the iconic Coca-Cola “Mean Joe Greene” commercial. It will be the first Coke Zero ad ever to air during the Super Bowl telecast. In the 30-second spot, Polamalu reprises the part made famous by Pittsburgh Steelers legend “Mean” Joe Greene. “The Coca-Cola ‘Mean Joe Greene’ ad is one of the most famous commercials of all time, so I was blown away when they asked me to be in this new spot,” said Polamalu.
- Heineken USA, as part of their new marketing platform “Give Yourself a Good Name,” will air a new Heineken television ad featuring John Turturro in 27 top markets during the Super Bowl XLIII broadcast. The campaign showcases subtle ways in which consumers decide to “give themselves a good name” through their actions, their words and their choices.
- Seattle seafood restaurant Ivar’s Seafood Restaurants (Ivar’s Acres of Clam, Ivar’s Salmon House and Ivar’s Mukilteo Landing) will run a half-second, regional television spot during the big game. This is the shortest known television spot to ever air in any market, apparently. It will feature a flash of iconic imagery and a brief voice over. Terry Heckler, principal of Ivar’s advertising agency of record, Heckler Associates, encouraged the idea. The agency contacted Seattle’s NBC affiliate, KING-TV, requesting the highly unusual :005 spot and made quick work of production and placement. Following airing, Ivar’s will place the ad on www.ivars.net and link to a page on its website for the replay.
- Monster.com, the online career and recruitment resource of Monster Worldwide Inc. (NYSE: MWW) will launch a unique promotion during Super Bowl XLIII in an effort to identify, recognize and reward one of football’s biggest fans. Monster and the NFL have teamed to create the Department of Fandemonium and Monster will launch a national contest providing fans the chance to apply to be the first ever Director of Fandemonium. The Director of Fandemonium will serve as goodwill ambassador for Monster and the NFL at several marquee events during the 2009 NFL season and also will receive a $100,000 signing bonus, courtesy of Monster.
- First Toy Story, and now the Super Bowl? Hasbro, Inc. (NYSE: HAS) characters Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head will appear in a Bridgestone Americas Tire Operations commercial which will air during Super Bowl XLIII. Titled “Taters” and slated to air between the first and second quarters of the game, the 30-second commercial depicts the iconic couple enjoying a scenic drive which is interrupted by an unexpected turn of events. “MR. AND MRS. POTATO HEAD are two of our most iconic characters and we are thrilled to share them with one of the year’s largest television audiences on Super Bowl Sunday,” said John Frascotti, global chief marketing officer, Hasbro. “MR. AND MRS. POTATO HEAD were perfectly cast as the loveable stars for our ‘Taters’ spot.” said John Baratta, president, Replacement Tire Sales U.S. and Canada Consumer Tire Sales Division.
- Spartanburg, South Carolina-based Denny’s (NASDAQ:DENN) will run their first ever Super Bowl ad, developed and produced by San Francisco based Goodby, Silverstein & Partners. It takes a humorous shot at its competitors’ “candy breakfasts.” The spot is part of the next evolution of Denny’s “Real Breakfast” campaign which touts their famous Grand Slam through scenarios in which “Cowboys” and “Thugs” are served pancake breakfasts drowning in sugary whipped cream, jelly beans and other assorted candy. “We know there is stiff competition out there,” notes Mark Chmiel, Chief Marketing Officer, Denny’s. “So we are highlighting our points of differentiation…..real, serious breakfast that tastes great.
- E*TRADE FINANCIAL Corp. (NASDAQ: ETFC) will feature its “Talking Baby” during Super Bowl XLIII. The “Talking Baby” ad campaign, which premiered during Super Bowl XLII, generated lots of attention. “History repeatedly has shown that those who continue to make smart marketing investments when economic times are uncertain are best positioned for success when the economy rebounds,” said Nicholas A. Utton, Chief Marketing Officer, E*TRADE FINANCIAL Corp.
- Go Daddy, the internet domain company, received network approval for TWO GoDaddy-esque naughty commercials weeks in advance of the Super Bowl; viewers have picked one to air online. Historically, censors have rejected Go Daddy’s risqué ads.
- DreamWorks Animation SKG Inc. (NYSE:DWA) and PepsiCo’s SoBe Lifewater joined together with Intel Corporation and NBC to create the ‘Monstrous’ 3D event for Super Bowl XLIII. This first-ever all 3D Super Bowl commercial will mark the debut of DreamWorks 3D movie trailer for its upcoming feature film, Monsters vs. Aliens, which hits theaters in the U.S. on March 27th. In addition, the timeslot will feature a 60-second SoBe Lifewater commercial marking the return of the SoBe lizards.