SARASOTA – Today is no longer the era of the circus. But regional and some national circus troupes survive as of 2009. Below are some of the organizations:
- Clyde Beatty Circus Founded in 1956, it’s one of the traditional tent circuses, and amazing it is still around.
- Ringling Brothers and Barnum & Bailey Circus: Not much else to say. Icon. Currently, they have three tours, a red tour, a gold tour and a blue tour. Still, they ought to think about doing a brand spin-off; they really need to recreate the P.T. Barnum show as first, an act in the show, and then secondly as a spin off attraction, separate from the regular circus.
- Teatro ZinZanni, based on the west coast, is a dinner theater circus in Seattle and San Francisco.
- Big Apple Circus: An old-style circus in New York.
- Circus Circus: Las Vegas casino has, of course, a circus operation, Dan Tanna style. Dan Tanna lived next door, and James Bond visited in Diamonds are Forever.
Circuses Around the World
- The Moscow Circus: A Russian circus.
- Moscow State Circus: A new production comes out March 1, 2009.
- The Chinese State Circus: With the Shaolin Wu-Shu Warriors.
- Circus Royale: An old-style Australian circus. Lots of camels.
Artsy Francophone Circus Companies
- Cirque Eloize: A non-animal circus from Canada.
- The Seven Fingers: An artsy Quebec circus.
- Cirque du Soliel: Four circuses, including the Americas, Oceania, Europe and Asia.
Non-profit Circus Companies
- Circus Center of San Francisco: The Pickle family circus.
- Circus Sarasota: A non-profit circus of performers in Sarasota, many Ringling veterans. They take an educational approach.
- PAL Sailor Circus: A local circus in Sarasota, sponsored by the Police Athletic League.
- No Fit State Circus: In Wales, with performances and education, with public funding.
Know of any others? Please leave comments at the end and we can gather a full listing of circus brands around the world.