Bring Back Morton Honey Buns

July 22nd, 2007 · 153 Comments

If the 1950s were the Golden age of TV Dinners, the 70s were the Golden Age of Frozen Food.

Brands like Banquet, Swanson, Morton, Birds Eye and Stouffer’s were actually thought of as luxury items, not the Lazy-Parent-Also-Ran dinners of today.

These frozen food brands were the perfect icons for the Ice Storm decade, a time when upper-middle-class families with an Amana Radarange and a Zenith Chromacolor TV were on top. If the 50s were all about watching Howdy Doody with a TV Dinner, the 70s were about watching TV all the time, and eating frozen on special nights. Divorced parents could watch divorce sitcoms (Alice, The Mary Tyler Moore Show) and then serve up frozen foods that made it look like when Dad was still around.

Breakfast to dinner, the brands were full line, and none better than Morton. Oh, Birds Eye sold some frozen peas and stuff, as old Clarence Birdseye was the pioneer in freezing. But Birds Eye was so Quick Freeze Harry Truman! There was also Banquet Foods Corporation of St. Louis, which was, oddly (or quite appropriately), owned by TV maker and NBC owner RCA. Banquet was the pioneer of TV dinners, and rode the confluence of cheap aluminum and color television to frozen brand greatness. And let’s not forget Stouffer’s, with its fantastico jingles. Stouffer’s was truly deluxe, as it grew out of the famous Stouffer’s restaurant and into hotels. Who else would have made a frozen spinach soufflé or put a pizza on French bread? And Swanson? Steve McQueen bought a stack of ‘em in the 1968 San Francisco crime thriller Bullitt.

But the real great brand was Morton Frozen Foods, not connected to that steakhouse brand Morton’s. Morton’s (though the packaging said Morton) was encyclopedic in its frozen grocery offerings, and each package, at least in the 70s, was stylish. (Pictured above is an old Look magazine ad from 1969, before a 70s super-graphic redesign.) There were Morton Pot Pies, Morton Creme Pies, Morton Cinnamon Rolls. But the real star was Morton Honey Buns. Morton Honey Buns came four to a package, and there was so much sugar on each that when you pulled the buns out, the sugar frosting was all over the package and the four came out like a brick.

But the brand is gone, nowhere to be found. And since the launch of the BrandlandUSA blog, we have discovered it is one of the top searched for dead brands on our site. People far and wide are searching for Morton, but cannot find it. While we knew Morton’s was a personal favorite, until we launched the blog, we didn’t know how many others loved the brand too. Apparently, they are mostly searching for the Morton Honey Buns, and not so much the Pot Pies, though those get requests too.

In 1940, Harold Morton of Louisville started selling a chicken and noodle dish, according to an excellent and seminal article in the Crozet Gazette in February 2007. Subsequently, his Morton Packing Co. of Louisville, Ky. launched Morton Chicken Pot Pie in 1949, which was made from an Old Kentucky Recipe. In 1953, Morton bought a frozen food storage facility in Crozet, Virginia for his enterprise; at its height the Morton freezery became Albemarle County’s largest employer.

The freezery factory itself had a long history, and was home to the famed apple beloved in London, the Albemarle Pippin. Streams of snappily dressed truck drivers in liveried trucks would deliver fresh Morton products to groceries across the country. In 1965, Morton was so successful that the company was bought by Continental Baking, a unit of the vast International Telephone and Telegraph conglomerate. In 1981, it was sold to tobacco giant R.J. Reynolds. In 1982, it became a unit of RJR’s San Francisco-based Del Monte, along with Del Monte’s other brands Chung King and Patio. It was part of Con Agra by 1991. The brand existed until at least 2000, when the Crozet, Virginia freezery closed.

As part of the brand, there was also a Morton Donut Shop (registered by the U.S. Trademark Office as a unit of ITT Continental Baking in 1975). Luckily, many of the old commercials are at the Library of Congress in the Karr Collection. In addition, the packaging was done by one of the great brand identity firms of the 1970s.

Roadfood.com, that wonderful site about American foodways, has a great thread on where it has gone. Posted is a letter from ConAgra to a fan who asked about Morton. Whenever a conglomerate kills off a great old brand, of course, it is the consumer’s fault that they didn’t buy enough of the product. (By the way, check out artist Dan Goodsell whose website www.theimaginaryworld.com has great images of the product.)

How would a giant like Con Agra relaunch Morton?

• ConAgra could bring back the Honey Buns for now, with only a small launch. A modest run of the products, sold at a few select media savvy supermarkets, will do the trick.
  • A few T-shirts and promotional items. And word-of-mouth promotion. This will not only preserve the equity and business goodwill of the brand, it will give Con Agra reps calling on supermarkets a boutique item that actually has some punch.
  • Or it could license the name to an upstart small company interested in frozen food brands. Take a 25 percent share of the new start up.
  • It could license the name to a grocery chain, for store-branded items.

So how about it Joan Chow, Chief Marketing Officer of mighty ConAgra Foods Inc.? Let us latchkey 70s kids have our Honey Buns back!

A possible resolution:

Resolved that Morton Honey Buns be returned to America’s supermarket freezer cases. We, the lovers of the products of Morton Frozen Foods, not only wish for our beloved Honey Buns to return but also our Morton Donuts, Morton Pot Pies and Morton Creme Pies. These and other dishes were lovingly developed by the late Harold Morton of Louisville, Kentucky and quickly gained acclaim as some of the best frozen food of the 20th century. The brand was closed by Con Agra in favor of its other more fashionable frozen food brands. We respectfully ask, first, for the return of Morton Honey Buns and then the consideration of the return of the other Morton classics.

Tags: Zombie

• 1 Anonymous // Aug 11, 2007 at 6:41 am

Pot pies were better than Swanson

• 2 JDH // Oct 20, 2007 at 10:17 pm

Conagra made the decision to de emphasizes Morton because it was basically the same premise as Banquet. Value dinners and pot pies. I beleive they could have done a Hellman’s/ Best brand strategy and let the stronger brand win out depending on the market. This would have been a perfect way to go after Swanson. As for Honey buns’ – it wasn’t just a Morton issue. In the late 80″ and early 90’s in store bakery and Entenmann’s DSD became increasingly popular. Stouffer’ suffered in this area as well they used to have frozen crumb cakes and cup cakes that were very good.

• 3 Anonymous // Nov 24, 2007 at 1:13 pm

Also, they had great TV dinners. My favorite was “beans and franks”. I haven’t even seen another brand try that one. And if they did, it most likely wouldn’t be as good. And, of course, don’t forget the best-tasting frozen donuts that you could buy!

• 4 Orange // Dec 19, 2007 at 11:15 am

Sure, this comment is 5 months late. But it has been far longer since my sister and I devoured a box of frozen Morton mini-donuts fresh from the oven, hot and crispy and chewy and cinnamony and sugary. Now that was a helluva product.

• 5 Anonymous // Jan 24, 2008 at 9:42 am

Can you now turn your attention to getting Kraft to return Kraft Pizza mixes to the US market? Thanks!

• 6 MortonNorton // Jan 25, 2008 at 7:43 pm

Seems to me that when ConAgra ditched Morton’s over Swanson’s they also took out the stuffing in the pies. These things have more air in ‘em than meat and veggies. Somehow the Morton’s tasted better and I believe had more filling than Swanson. Poor old man Morton must be rolling over in his grave….

• 7 marvin // Jan 29, 2008 at 11:52 am

I would love to see the Morton Honeybuns and donuts brought back. My son is 5 and he would love these. Dunkin Donuts and the like have gotten too expensive to visit and there is nothing like a fresh hot donut from the oven. I vote bring them back, who cares what name they are under!!!!!

• 8 Morton FREAK! // Jan 31, 2008 at 7:59 pm

cinnamon donuts or honey buns? I like the cinnamon

• 9 Ann // Feb 6, 2008 at 5:02 pm

I swear my sisters and I lived on those donuts and honey buns. I’m glad I’m not the only one that misses them. I would love if someone could bring them back. Those are the only two things that could get me out of bed in the morning on time.

• 10 VW4Mortons // Feb 9, 2008 at 4:15 pm

Ohh those sweet donuts…bring them back ConAgra. You’d sell millions for nostalgic reasons alone!!

• 11 Anonymous // Feb 11, 2008 at 11:28 am

Bring back the cinnamon donuts. The Best!! My sister used to eat them right out of the freezer.

• 12 Jennifer // Mar 6, 2008 at 11:29 pm

It’s 12:30 am and I really want some Morton mini-donuts.

• 13 cursichella // Mar 31, 2008 at 2:23 pm

Perhaps there’s someone out there that used to work for Morton’s that wants to share the recipe? I’d relaunch the donuts if I could figure out how to make them. I’ve tried, but haven’t come close to duplicating the original.

• 14 bmrchik19 // May 4, 2008 at 7:43 pm

Please, please, please Conagra bring back Morton’s Honey Buns. We are 53 aand 50 years old respectively and we have never forgotten them! They were the best!!!!!!!!!! We haven’t found anything that even comes close!
    Let’s give another generation something wonderful to remember!They were a real comfort food from home!

• 15 Anonymous // May 18, 2008 at 7:43 am

those Morton mini donuts were the best. I just found a cruller that kind of reminds me of them but its just not the same as those hot out of the oven donuts! Please bring them back!

• 16 Anonymous // Jun 8, 2008 at 8:03 pm

The world would be a much happier place if the donuts were brought back! PLEASE! Let’s introduce them to the next generation!

• 17 bryan // Jun 11, 2008 at 10:25 pm

God, I remember the Morton’s Donuts like it was yesterday! I’ve tried to explain the phenomenon to my girlfriend but, it just doesn’t translate. I would love to see them bring back those donuts. I would be a guaranteed-once-a-week purchaser!

• 18 Anonymous // Jun 17, 2008 at 9:43 am

ConAgra, how could you have closed Morton’s Division, especially the mini donuts. I thought the company had gone out of business, not shutdown by a food giant. This was my favorite donut of all time from age 5 to age 30. Truly one of my most disappointing moments in life.

• 19 Anonymous // Jul 21, 2008 at 6:13 am

All the big companies are alike saying how much they care for the consumer. If you really care about us then bring back Morton’s frozen doughnuts!!! Especially the glazed! I would love to bake them in my oven just like mom did when I was a kid. I have never had a better tasting doughnut!

• 20 Anonymous // Aug 3, 2008 at 2:19 pm

bring back the little cinnamon donuts.We still talk about them,
    how good they were.My cousin is having a fit looking all over for
    them finally i went online and found
    this hey big wig companies listen for once to the little people!

• 21 dewey donut // Oct 1, 2008 at 9:40 am

we could stimulate the economy by bringing back those little jewels (cinamon donuts…YUM)

• 22 honey bun lover // Oct 14, 2008 at 2:16 am

Yes, we loved and do miss the honey buns, glazed donuts & mini donuts baked at home for a night snack eaten warm with milk or hot cocoa.
    Please bring them back

• 23 Lori // Oct 24, 2008 at 6:58 pm

Bring back Morton’s donuts!!!!!

• 24 FRANK PRESUTTI // Nov 1, 2008 at 4:32 pm

BRING BACK THOSE BUNS AND CHARGE WHAT YOU WILL THERE ARE ENOUGH OF US OUT HERE WHO ARE WAITING FOR THEM ‘
    WE USED TO HAVE THEM WITH BUTTER AT ANY MEAL AND AS A SNACK
    WE MISS THEM AS THERE IS NOTHING TO TAKE THEIR PLACE
    THE REST STINK MORTONS ARE THE BEST //

FIVE FAMILIES IN RAMSEY NJ

• 25 Janie // Nov 10, 2008 at 10:46 pm

Please Bring Back Morton’s Donuts! I’m even dreaming about them. Oldie’s but Goodie’s. I think you could make a fortune with that product & theme to go with it.

• 26 Martha // Nov 12, 2008 at 11:46 am

I want the receipe for Morton’s frozen Coconut
    Custard Pie that you had to bake in the oven.
    I don’t want an Egg Custart Pie with Coconut in it, that they call Coconut Custard .

• 27 Tony // Nov 27, 2008 at 9:42 am

The honeybuns were good – and yes, we were part of that Amana Radarange class of folk. But the absolute best were the mini donuts. Like so many others, I even ate them frozen!

• 28 admin // Nov 27, 2008 at 10:48 am

Tony. We had the Zenith, but we didn’t have the Amana Radarange. I’m still envious.

• 29 Nancy // Dec 6, 2008 at 4:32 pm

Mini-donuts and honey buns were my most favorites, and I have been CRAVING them! Why are we just making comments here; why doesn’t everyone bombard ConAgra?????

• 30 Diane // Dec 23, 2008 at 6:34 pm

I can not believe the comments about the Morton honey buns! My sisters and I lived off of those at breakfast before school. I don’t know if anyone remembers Morton’s Blueberry Rounds-those were my all time favorite. There would definitely be an argument if someone ate the last one. I was hoping to find them and I had no idea the brand has been dissolved. I miss those days!

• 31 Pam // Jan 18, 2009 at 8:35 pm

The mini cinnamon donuts were a piece of heaven. I’ve never had another donut that could compare to those Morton’s donuts right out of the oven.

There’s a market for them, Conagra. Help out your bottom line and give us back our Morton’s donuts!

• 32 cheryl // Feb 26, 2009 at 8:31 pm

those frozen jelly donuts where the absolute best. it would give dunkin donuts a run for their money!

• 33 Roseann // Mar 25, 2009 at 7:34 am

After mortons honey buns left the grocery store frozen shelf… they were replaced with pet ritz honey buns. they were a bit smaller and not quite so gooey but they were a great 2nd choice. I haven’t seen them in a while and I asked my grocer about them and he said they disappeared just like mortons. I certainly don’t need the calories but I keep wanting them!

• 34 susie // Mar 27, 2009 at 3:17 pm

i miss the pot pies they were the best, no brand today can compare, please bring them back!

• 35 christy // Apr 2, 2009 at 12:54 am

I too miss the doughnuts. I loved to eat them frozen and hot. Please bring them back.

• 36 Anonymous // Apr 3, 2009 at 11:57 am

I too loved those donuts and honey buns and hadn’t had them for years until I moved to the Chicago area where I was able to find the honey buns at a grocery store in Wisconsin but then a couple of years ago all of a sudden they were gone just like that. Surprisingly, about 6 months ago I found some honey buns at Jewel/Osco Grocery Stores. The are called Super Buns (SuperBakeryInc) and they taste exactly the same as
    Morton’s Honey Buns. Now I can’t get enough of them.

• 37 Gullyborg // Apr 14, 2009 at 7:58 pm

Seriously, where do I sign to show my support to bring Morton Honey Buns and Donuts back to life?

They were the greatest joy of my youth and I truly weep, for I may never taste their sweetness again.

• 38 cmac // May 3, 2009 at 6:56 pm

The closest I have found to those little cinnamon pieces of wonder is the donuts you can get at Smokey Bones Restaurant. Although I actually liked them better frozen

• 39 Sue Haycock // May 13, 2009 at 7:03 am

I ate only Honey Buns for breakfast for years and still really miss them. And it is not only me. My grandson ate them when he came to visit us, and just last week still asked me if I had any. How do you explain to someone 10 years old that something you like has been discontinued?

• 40 History of TV Dinner Brands | // May 20, 2009 at 8:51 pm

[...] I think I ate more Banquet (an RCA subsidiary) and Morton frozen dinners, Swanson has taken the crown of being the official “retro” TV dinner. [...]

• 41 Mandie // May 21, 2009 at 3:21 pm

I am a child of the 80’s and those Morton Honey Buns were the best! Please please please bring them back. And don’t even try to bring them back fat free or low fat because it just wouldn’t be the same!!!

• 42 VTGobbler // Jun 13, 2009 at 8:36 pm

I grew up on both the honey buns (my fav) and the little cinn doughnuts. Please o please o please, bring them back. I’ll by them by the case if I have to.

• 43 Ron Ray // Jun 16, 2009 at 1:27 pm

I am looking for pictures, family information, and anything about Harold Morton, who started Morton Frozen Foods / Morton Pot Pies. I am a nephew of his. My Aunt Virginia Highbaugh was married to him. I have never met him but only have a picture of him on his wedding day to my aunt. Please contact me at the e-mail address (ron.ray@insightbb.com). I am trying to gather some family history and photos.

• 44 Patricia // Jul 14, 2009 at 9:06 pm

I agree……bring the Morton Honey Buns back to
    our grocers freezer……my kids grew up in the late
    70s and 80s and that was their breakfast before leaving for school every day. As a mom, who also loved them for breakfast, I surely hope someone picks up on these comments and knows they would have a huge buyer population if they bring them back (or the equivalent of same under a different brand name) !!

• 45 CAROLYN // Jul 24, 2009 at 9:29 pm

BRING BACK THE TV DINNERS. THEY ARE TEN TIMES BETTER THAN ANY OF THE OTHER BRANDS. THE MEATLOAF IS THE BEST. IT HAD THE BEST TASTE TO IT.

• 46 Tim // Jul 31, 2009 at 4:17 pm

My sister and I also remember the cinnamon-sugar mini-donuts. They came 18 to a box and were a great, bite size treat.

• 47 cdc // Aug 17, 2009 at 6:14 pm

Morton’s Honey Buns were to die for! The doughnuts weren’t bad, either. I spent 16 years in NYC, and their grocery stores were so small they couldn’t carry much of anything. I’ve been back in the south for 8 years and couldn’t find them anywhere. Been meaning to research into them. Please pressure ConAgra to bring back the brand!

• 48 Jan Bass // Aug 24, 2009 at 6:57 pm

My son called today (He is 26 yrs old) and said Mom remember those Honey Buns we always had on Sunday Morning getting ready to go to SS & Church. I said yes ,they were called Morton Honey Buns they do not make them anymore. He said I know I have been looking for them but could not remember who made them.Do you think they will ever come back in the grocery stores.

• 49 queen // Sep 8, 2009 at 9:03 am

Thank you!..finally , i find that iam not the only one who loved mortons honey bun! Please bring them back!

• 50 SLM // Oct 13, 2009 at 8:25 am

Morton’s cinnamon mini frozen donuts were the absolute best. I still remember them 30 yrs. later. Too bad they’re no longer made, I would love to be able to share those with my kids. Their frozen pies were great too. Conagra needs to bring the brand back.

• 51 Jim // Oct 17, 2009 at 10:01 pm

I grew up on Morton’s Honey Buns….had to heat them in the oven, didn’t have a microwave in the 70’s…I used to put some butter on them when they came out of the oven, so so good! Bring them back…please!

PS- Anyone remember Ronzoni’s frozen meals? They had a lasagna that was so good, much better then Stouffer’s. This would have been in the 70’s .

• 52 SDB // Nov 2, 2009 at 2:00 pm

I grew up on Morton’s mini cinnamon donuts before school every morning and they were the best! I would love to be able to buy those again and carry on the tradition for my kids! Please bring them back Con Agra!!!!

• 53 Stephanie // Nov 18, 2009 at 4:20 pm

I miss the Honey Buns. I would love to share them with my kids. The entermann’s honey buns aren’t even close.

• 54 Loretta // Dec 10, 2009 at 12:23 pm

My husband and I were just discussing Morton’s Honey Buns and wondering if they still were being made. It was a staple in my freezer as a young adult. Now we’re looking for that wonderful, nostalgic taste again. We’d be a big customer if they were ever brought back.

• 55 Lucia Alberti // Dec 10, 2009 at 8:03 pm

i would be so thrilled if these were back, i’ve been missing them forever

• 56 denise // Jan 10, 2010 at 12:27 pm

Aloha,

Just get us the original recipe –Please–

Waiting to Bake,
    D

• 57 Paul // Jan 19, 2010 at 4:59 am

I loved Morton Honey Buns. I have been searching for them for years because I wanted my kids to have them as well as myself. Those were the days! I thought things were supposed to get better with age, but so far frozen foods today are worse than they ever were. Bring back the Honey Buns!!!

• 58 Bob // Jan 30, 2010 at 10:53 pm

Congra, you suck for doing away with my honey buns, which I ate religiously every week. Morton’s were the best, i did see a similar product, but was extremely disappointed in the lack of icing on the cinnamon bun. It was a joke compared to mortons buns. As for most treats now a days, these companies have cut back on the sugar content as if the general public doesn’t notice the difference in taste. Now they even have fiber added to Fruit Loops and Apple Jacks, talk about a turn off. lol. O well if there sales drop, don’t wonder why. Dumb corporations don’t know what people really want, they just care about their image.

• 59 Steve // Feb 1, 2010 at 7:10 pm

For over 40 years I had Morton Honey Buns in my house. I think it time to bring back some good old things. You put ‘em into the store and will buy them!!!!!!!!

• 60 Debbie // Feb 4, 2010 at 3:56 pm

My 25 year old son just called me to ask the name of those honey buns he used to eat as a kid.
    He was remembering how good they were. He was wanting to buy some but then we realized thaey were disontinued. He was really bummed. My kids loved those honey buns and never got tired of them. Bring them back so their kids can enjoy them.

• 61 randall murphy // Mar 4, 2010 at 12:19 am

Miss em! Loved em! My son needs to try em!!!!!! The donuts and honey buns!!!!

• 62 The Best Thing I Ever Ate… « My Muddled Thoughts // Mar 9, 2010 at 7:16 am

[...] every single morning… and I wanted to be just like him.    Apparently, there seems to be a thing about bringing them back.  I even found a FB group for them.  That shit was pure, unadulterated [...]

• 63 Kandy // Mar 29, 2010 at 10:57 pm

You must bring back the mini donughts and the honey buns, even the mini honey buns. I can remember the taste like yesterday. There is nothing on the market like them. I’ll open the plant if you’ll give me the recipes. PLEAASSSEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 64 Cordelia // Apr 16, 2010 at 8:46 am

PLEASE bring back Morton’s frozen donuts!!!!

• 65 Anonymous // Apr 27, 2010 at 7:34 am

My sisters and I ate the honey buns and the little donuts all the time for breakfast. I think my favorites were the donuts, and by god, if I could have one of those hot, tasty, crispy on the outside, soft on the inside donuts, I would be in heaven! Bring them back!

• 66 Aimee // May 4, 2010 at 5:49 pm

Please bring back the Honey Bun! They were the joy of my childhood Christmas mornings…I want to share them with my children.

• 67 Jennifer // May 17, 2010 at 9:15 pm

I miss Morton’s macaroni and cheese. Their little donuts were the best.

• 68 Salina // May 19, 2010 at 4:06 pm

Yes! The cinnamon sugar mini doughnuts were THE BEST!!!! I miss them terribly all of the time! What does it take to get them back in the freezers?!!!!

• 69 Margaret Bowling // May 31, 2010 at 10:23 am

Please bring back Morton Mini Donuts. They were and still are my favorite, please bring them back. Be blessed.

• 70 Margaret Bowling // May 31, 2010 at 10:29 am

I am 57 years young and have enjoyed those mini donuts for 30 years then they dissappeared, what happened? Bring that joy back to other generations

• 71 Tammy LaCroix Keller // Jun 30, 2010 at 7:00 pm

I can’t believe I found this …. So many folks like myself missing those super yummy honey buns (heated in the oven w/a little smear of butter, OMG!) I adored the little cinnamon sugar donuts, my grandmother kept them in her house as a staple. I have been hunting them for quite some time. I live in Columbia, SC now but grew up in WPB,Fla and my Mom bought them on a fairly regular basis. I remember the cream pies too, lemon was my fave but the chocolate was great as well. If anyone knows of any other brand that even comes close, please send me an email: tlkeller.2008@gmail.com Thanks for this site, nice to know I’m not alone!

• 72 M B // Jul 2, 2010 at 2:57 pm

I soooooo remember Morton Honey Buns! It seems that some foodie could find a way to get them produced and distributed again. If they can bring back poncho’s for people to wear, they can bring back our delicious Honey Buns.

• 73 fhp57 // Jul 20, 2010 at 2:34 pm

I knew I was’nt the only one that missed those little teeny tiny cinnimon sugar wonderful widdle cute luvable tastey melt in your mouth bestest mini donut in the world. Oh yah, Tammy from Columbia, SC im in love…

• 74 Michele66 // Jul 21, 2010 at 12:06 pm

I remember my dad was stationed at Eielson AFB, Alaska and my mom would serve my brother, sister, and I Morton little donuts, honey buns or my favorite, blueberry muffin go rounds!!! I totally love those and would love to see them and eat them again!!!!!

• 75 debra // Aug 3, 2010 at 8:45 pm

I was having lunch with friends and we were talking about those Morton’s donuts. THE best treat. My mother bought them for me all the time. When I came home from school I would pop 3 or 4 in the over and a glass of cold milk. I am actually getting a bit misty. Such a lovely memory. I was floored today when I found this site and others and there were other people who remembered them too.

We have a restaurant in our city called Old Charlie’s and they make a donut that is similar. I have to go at least 2 time a month to get them NOT the same. But they spark that memory.

I still ache for them. And will not say how many years it has been.

• 76 andy // Aug 6, 2010 at 3:17 pm

Morton must have been popular in the militay. I lived on military bases my whole childhood. From Germany to Arizona. The commissaries always had Morton’s Honey Buns and I always had the for Breakfast. There is no Honey Bun now that’s even close to Morton’s. I miss em

• 77 Jodi // Sep 28, 2010 at 9:31 pm

PLEASE bring back Morton Honey Buns…I ate them all through my childhood up until they were no longer available. I had them for breakfast, and late night snacks. Just tried a Little Debbie Honey Bun…yuk! It just doesn’t compare when you’ve had the best!!!

• 78 Chris // Oct 6, 2010 at 1:03 pm

I used to wake up to the smell of the Morton cinnamon donuts only to find out that my dad had them before heading out the door to work – and there wasn’t any left for me. I have always wondered if they were going to come back because I could certainly buy them. I recently found something very similar and my daughter loves them as much as I loved Mortons. Check out Market Day website (www.marketday.com) and look up the Mini Donuts with Cinnamon Sugar. They don’t have the Morton packaging but they’re a dead ringer when you fix them and it’s a great way to support your local school! Enjoy

• 79 Miss Alba Farina // Oct 7, 2010 at 7:13 pm

October 6, 2010
    Hello
    Morton’s Frozen Cream Pies RULE!
    I wish that they WILL RETURN SOON!
    . ]
    Blessings to ALL
    – Miss Alba Farina
    2034 Rosalie Street
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19135 USA

• 80 Miss Alba Farina // Oct 7, 2010 at 7:17 pm

October 6, 2010
    Hello
    Morton’s Frozen Cream Pies RULE! .
    I wish they WILL RETURN SOON! . ]
    Blessings to ALL
    – Miss Alba Farina
    2034 Rosalie Street
    Philadelphia, Pennsylvania 19135 USA

• 81 janine Bryant // Oct 9, 2010 at 9:14 pm

PLEASE BRING BACK MORTON FROZEN HUNY BUNS. ABSOLUTLY THE BEST!!!!
    my sister and I were just discussing how good they are and decided to google where to buy them.. or order off the internet… PLEASE

• 82 Teresa // Oct 10, 2010 at 1:02 pm

OMG!! My children and I have always loved the Morton Honey Buns and they still to this day ask if they will ever come back. Why doesn’t the company who bought Morton reissue them? They are a top seller and the promotion would be easy to lure new unfamiliar customers to this great product! I have tried every honey bun out there and none comes even close to the truly great taste of Morton’s Honey Buns! BRING THEM BACK!!!!

• 83 craig // Oct 11, 2010 at 7:08 pm

i wanted to know if you let me know where i can find the morton leomon frozen cream pies if they still exizest or give me a call or leave me a adress where i can order them my number is 336 357 2978 thank,s

• 84 Craig // Oct 11, 2010 at 7:17 pm

Hey man where’s the lemon pies? Gone with the 70s!

• 85 Mark // Oct 17, 2010 at 4:26 pm

Yes, PLEASE bring back the Honey Buns and the little sugar (Cinnamon?) donuts. They
    were awesome. I think there was like 12 or 18 donuts in the box?

• 86 Deborah // Oct 19, 2010 at 7:50 am

I TOTALLY miss them. Remember when my mom would fix them for breakfast as my brother & I were getting ready for school. Loved all the Morton Breakfast Products………the tiny cinnamon donuts & those yummy jelly filled donuts with sugar! Bring them back~

• 87 Laura // Oct 22, 2010 at 1:22 pm

And I thought I was the only person on the planet still searching for Morton’s honey buns! My favorite food of all time! Especially with some butter on top!

• 88 les // Oct 29, 2010 at 8:10 am

I too have been searching for the honey buns and little donuts! They were the BEST!! Bring them back to us!!!

• 89 Robin // Nov 2, 2010 at 12:23 pm

My whole family loved the Morton Honey Buns the most. My brother has recently found out that his cancer has returned and we were sitting in the hospital talking about Morton Honey Buns. He stated sure could eat one before I start my chemo. I told my sister if I ever found some I would buy cases of them. PLEASE, PLEASE bring them back. We loved them when we were little and would love for our children to be able to see how good they were.

• 90 Mel // Nov 4, 2010 at 11:22 pm

Please bring back Morton’s donuts and honey buns! If you take Crispy cream donuts & freeze them, heat them @ 350 for 5 min. in the oven, its almost the same, but not quite as good.

• 91 rich // Nov 20, 2010 at 8:35 am

I grew up and these, I got a divorce from my wife because she would not get them for me. ( I did not realize they were off the market).

• 92 David // Dec 12, 2010 at 3:14 pm

I came from a poor family but had no clue that I did. My parents, mostly my mother, did a fantastic job managing the money. The biggest thrill I can remember was Christmas morning, not for the presents, but for the Morton Honey Buns warming in the oven. It was a “special” purchase my mother mostly made at Christmas and they had become a tradition in our home. Even though I am 45, I have been searching for them at the stores, wanting to share this special item with my baby daughter. She is almost 6 years old now, and I just now learned here that what I wanted to share was gone forever.

• 93 Emily // Jan 18, 2011 at 5:15 pm

Bring back the Morton mini-donuts! I am 53 and can’t recall the last one I enjoyed…..had I known they would disappear, I would have bought up all the boxes in the store to freeze for later!!

• 94 Patricia Lyra // Jan 20, 2011 at 12:26 am

I was an exchange student from Brazil in Massachusetts and I absolutely loved those donuts. I looked for them everywhere ever since but to no avail. It is a pity, they were delicious!

• 95 The car windows were frosty in Marlborough 30 years ago « Cuak! Cuak! Cuak! in English // Jan 20, 2011 at 1:17 am

[...] Frozen donuts heated in the microwave – I remember them so well I can almost taste them! I thought I had imagined them, but then I found Morton Frozen Donuts! There is even an article entitled “Bring back Morton’s honeybuns”. [...]

• 96 As janelas do carro estavam congeladas em Marlborough há 30 anos atrás | Cuak!Cuak!Cuak! // Jan 20, 2011 at 9:08 am

[...] delas, mas encontrei a página sobre as Morton Frozen Donuts ! Tem até um artigo chamado “Bring back Morton’s honeybuns” (tragam de volta os pães doces [...]

• 97 Jennifer // Jan 23, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Please bring back the Morton’s Honey Buns!!! I ate them for breakfast every morning and would love to share them with my kids! They were the best! I can still remember how they just melted in your mouth! If they want to sell the recipe, I’ll make them myself!

• 98 Todd // Jan 30, 2011 at 4:06 pm

I was at a fund raiser the other day and had a cake doughnut. Immediately I was transported back to my childhood and having Morton’s mini doughnuts. I am very sad to know that I can not find them anywhere. If they came back, I would love to share them with my kids.

• 99 Valerie // Feb 4, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I’ve been searching for the Morton mini-donuts with the sugar you could pop into the oven & they would come out crisp on the outside warm & soft on the inside. A few with a glass of milk for a child or with a cup of coffee for an adult, how do we get them back?

• 100 Mike M. // Feb 10, 2011 at 11:50 pm

Bring back the cinnamon sugar donuts!! Those things were a staple of my breakfasts before school, back before our family got it’s first microwave. Those donuts were so good, I ate them frozen on many occasions. Unfortunately, the donuts were doomed once the microwave became common in the mid 80’s. Like most frozen foods when nuked, they tasted awful and soggy.

• 101 Steve C. // Feb 13, 2011 at 10:15 pm

Please bring back the original Morton’s Honey Buns. I grew up eating those things by the box. Nothing these days even comes close!

• 102 Pippin // Feb 14, 2011 at 10:36 pm

If they ever brought back Morton honey buns and frozen donuts, (I preferred the jelly- there is nothing like a hot jelly donut) I would buy a second freezer and order them by the case!

• 103 Creepy // Feb 17, 2011 at 8:09 pm

Please, please, please bring back the cinnamon sugar donuts and the pot pies…so good…been looking for years…why would you not want to make millions from your 70’s children?

• 104 giggles56 // Feb 24, 2011 at 3:55 pm

please please !!!!!bring back the morton honey buns.no other ones have ever come close to tasting like those from the 70’s!!even my daughters born in the 80’s say they were the best.you would make sooo many people happy again.doritos listened to us and brought back the original taco doritos so please listen to our needs and wants..you wont regret it!!

• 105 K Schloss // Mar 3, 2011 at 8:25 pm

My grandma always had Morton’s glazed donuts. She lived across the street and it seemed like whenever I looked in her freezer, they were there. She died in 1981 and I don’t think I’ve had them since. My mom would never buy them. Krispy Kreme comes close, but I agree, there’s nothing the same as that piping hot donut coming out of the toaster oven, all warm and crisp and sweet on the outside and all soft on the inside. I miss Morton’s! Just wish I could have them one more time and let my kids try them. I miss my grandma!

• 106 Tracy // Mar 5, 2011 at 8:46 pm

I miss those Blueberry Rounds. I remember them in the freezer isle in the store as a little girl and wish they were still around for my children to taste how wonderful they were coming out hot from the toaster and letting the butter melt all over before I took my first bite!

• 107 Sherry // Mar 16, 2011 at 9:42 am

I’ve missed the Mortons honey buns AND donuts so much, I’d love to have them come back!! I’d sure stock up.

• 108 Christine // Apr 1, 2011 at 4:45 pm

WOW! I knew Morton Honeybuns were popular but I didn’t realize just how much! My mom didn’t have alot of money but growing up they were the Sunday morning treat for me and my sister. We’d wake up to the smell of them wafting into our room and race to get to the kitchen! I burned my mouth and tongue SO MANY TIMES cause I couldn’t wait for mine to cool down. They were the BEST! Bring em back!

• 109 Mr Bo // Apr 8, 2011 at 5:32 pm

I too remember the honeybuns from my Pittsburgh days. They were simply the best. The only ones that come close are from Dunkin Donuts and that’s one I had in Nassau Bahamas. I’m not sure if the American ones make them as well.

Do the right thing and bring them back!

• 110 kkam // Apr 11, 2011 at 10:34 pm

i, along with many others, thought i was the only one still looking for morton’s honey buns. they were the BEST!!! I have such fond memories of eating them right out of the oven. They just melted in your mouth!!! I wish they’d bring them back……..

• 111 Nicole // Apr 22, 2011 at 10:32 am

It occurred to me not long ago that I had not had those wonderful honey buns my mom used to make me and I have been to every grocery store looking for them. Finally I have decided to look online. If so many of us want them why wouldnt someone bring them back! They are so much better than all those dry nasty donuts that come in a box. Even Little Debbies honey buns are dry and nasty. Mortens were moist like they were homemade, just a little crispy on the outside and all soft on the inside, and completely covered in that wonderful sugary glaze. PERFECT! I want them back to make for my kids! And myself of course, lol!

• 112 wolf64 // Apr 30, 2011 at 3:42 pm

Morton Honey Buns were the greatest ever!
    I can almost taste the gooey goodness with butter ane drizzeled SueBee honey. Every morning for breakfast while watching the Bozo Show and the Three Stooges before school. EVERY morning! So u cant tell me they werent good sellers. LOOK at all these people. Ya may have a riot on ur hands if u dont return them to the masses.
    pLeAsE bring em back, Conagra…or are you skeered? I’d pay whatever just to have my tastebuds not mad at me anymore.
    Send me a Morton Honey Bun shirt XL and I’ll advertise for u. It’d be the greatest comeback EVER!!!!
    Sincerely,
    Lost Without You

• 113 Anonymous // Jun 18, 2011 at 6:19 am

I had forgotten about the honey buns. They were delicious, but what I really loved were the mini donuts. I have never eaten such a good donut. I have told my son about them so many times he is tired of hearing me bring them up. They need to bring them back. They were awesome!!

• 114 Patrice // Jul 31, 2011 at 9:16 am

I loved the little mini donuts. I have been telling my kids about them for years….I think ConAgra should start selling them again. I think they would be surprised at the popularity.

• 115 MBProc // Aug 23, 2011 at 3:03 pm

Every Sunday Morning after Mass 2 boxes of Morton’s Honey Buns and 1 Sara Lee Coffee Cake – either crumb or Pecan – There were 9 of us eating them so it really wasn’t as overkill as it sounds – but it was a Sunday only treat that all of my siblings and I still crave to this day.

• 116 Charles Watkins // Aug 24, 2011 at 9:07 pm

I was only about 4 years old when I had my first Morton (glazed) donut, which was shortly after we had moved to Minnesota from Texas in 1974. Naturally as a child…I LOVED THEM, and I recall how flake worthy the glaze was after they were taken out of the toaster oven. (No other frozen donut has been able to share that particular quality that I know of since!) We moved back to Texas the next year and unfortunately they were not being sold in our State. Little could I have imagined then, that I would go on missing and thinking about them for a lifetime! I was curious to their ingredients. After many years of entering searches on eBay for a Morton donut box, I landed an original which had come from a late hoarder’s estate…lol. When I get time to do so, I’ll come back and list the ingredients. There’s no nutritional facts as to total calories or fat content, This was not required back then. Amazing!

• 117 Claire // Sep 30, 2011 at 1:42 pm

I have been searching for years for the Morton Honey Buns,,like all the others that have posted on this site, I was rasied eating Morton Brands and miss them so much! I also gave them to my kids as they were growing up. Like a person posted before me..if they did bring them back, I’d buy a second freezer and stock up! Please bring back the HONEY BUNS!!!!

• 118 Terrie // Oct 7, 2011 at 3:53 pm

I was just telling my husband about these, particularly the mini cinnamon doughnuts, and the honey buns, and I tried to google them and came across this. I am going to Con-Agra’s site after this. I don’t understand why, if all these people are searching for them, they don’t start making them again!!!

• 119 Meggan // Oct 17, 2011 at 7:34 pm

I have had a craving for the Morton mini cinnamon doughnuts since I had a “food memory” of them suddenly surface last year. Last week I bought the Limited Edition Pumpkin Spice Eggo Waffles at Target, and one bite brought me close to the taste. They are definitely less sweet, but give them a try for a quick Morton doughnut craving fix!

• 120 Agent K // Oct 27, 2011 at 10:42 pm

PLEASE, bring back the Morton’s Honey Buns,….but the original recipe from the 70’s. Thsoe were the absolute BEST!!!

• 121 Ann C // Dec 8, 2011 at 9:54 pm

I, like so many others, have had cravings for those wonderful cinnamon donuts. How can we get them back???

• 122 Jay G // Dec 29, 2011 at 1:44 pm

I walk by my grocersd freezer every week hoping to see Morton’s honey buns. One day I hope to see them and fill my freezer full.

• 123 Jim // Jan 23, 2012 at 10:24 am

Had Honey Buns for breakfast almost everyday. First the oven and then Microwave. I liked them from the microwave as they did not get crunchy around the edges..and faster..I looked this story up as I hoped they really were not gone! Bring them back…there is no replacement out there!

• 124 Bill // Jan 23, 2012 at 10:49 pm

I was just reminiscing about the Morton glazed and jelly donuts and stumbled om this. Bring ‘em back I say!

• 125 Anonymous // Feb 19, 2012 at 9:57 am

Yes, please bring back the honey buns and the donuts (all of them).

• 126 Leah // Mar 8, 2012 at 7:04 pm

I agree, bring them all back. I am almost 50 and can still taste them!

• 127 Lyn Wilburn // Mar 17, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I really miss Morton’s pot pies and tv dinners. Banquet could never hold a candle to their quality … and Swanson always cost too much for what you got. Morton was simply a lot more reliable than what you can buy in the freezer case today! And yes, the donuts were great, too!

• 128 anonymous // Mar 31, 2012 at 8:36 am

I loved the frozen Morton honey buns. There has never been a honey bun like Morton’s honey buns. Now I know to no longer look for them. How sad that they are not around.

• 129 RACHAEL HARRIS // Apr 22, 2012 at 8:59 pm

I TRUELY MISS THE OLD TIME FOOD…THE HONEY BUNS WAS THE BEST EVER..MISS THE GOOD OLD DAYS

• 130 Angela Treglown // Jun 5, 2012 at 3:57 pm

We were talking about those yummy honey buns today at work. One of the things I miss the most from my childhood. Please bring them back. And yes, those warm from the oven cinnamon donuts too.

• 131 Erik // Jul 7, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I can remember burning my tongue on the jelly from the jelly donuts… it was sooooo worth it.

• 132 JLS // Aug 2, 2012 at 8:52 pm

I still go through the freezer section looking and hoping to see those little Morton’s Cinnamon Donuts. And now that I know there are so many others that miss and love Morton’s, I’ll continue to look and hope.

• 133 Robert // Oct 13, 2012 at 8:21 pm

If Morton’s Honey Buns are back in the grocery, I will regularly buy them, simply delicious.

• 134 Laura Martin // Nov 7, 2012 at 8:54 am

I still look for them after all of these years (the Honey Buns) – just hoping they will “reappear” on the store shelves! I have tried other ones – but nothing compares!

• 135 Sheila // Jan 7, 2013 at 6:35 pm

We were just talking about Morton Honey Buns and the Glazed donuts at the dinner table. They were soooo good. We first got them at the Kwik Chek, now Winn Dixie, here in Florida some 30 plus years ago. I too still look in the freezer dept, hoping they would appear. They were the best!!!

• 136 Cindy // Feb 5, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I still miss the honey buns, but especially the cinnamon & sugar donuts. All I can do is hope that one day they will come back.

• 137 David // May 23, 2013 at 8:18 pm

I had a little Debbie honey bun with my kids tonight and I was immediately craving a Morton’s honeybun. I told them how I heated them in the oven with butter on top and it was so hard to stop eating more. So I got online tonight to see if they were still around and I land on this Honey Bun Blog. My kids were amazed and now want to try Morton’s amazing Honey Buns too. “Bringem back!” from a 60’s kid and his 9 kids.

• 138 Garland Pollard // May 23, 2013 at 9:27 pm

i totally agree David….little Debbie doesnt come close. I think the genius was that there wasnt too much sugar, but there was plenty. i also think the cinnamon was greater. it was also baked better…less puffy.

• 139 Georgie alley // May 24, 2013 at 1:15 am

I would love to have some Morton meatloaf dinners, the carrots was awesome…….banquet does not compare to these old TV dinners, the pot pies was a favorite of mine to, please bring these dinners back

• 140 Crickett // Jul 10, 2013 at 10:20 pm

PLEASE….return the Morton’s Honey Buns to all Grocer’s freezers. You may as well open up the entire Morton line. Check out the responses posted for the past 5 years. Just do us a big favor …process all of the Morton line using the original recipes and the original ingredients (no high fructose corn syrup or any other additive that may or may not cause cancer!! Ingredients link listed below:

http://www.mortonsflour.com/recipes/article.asp?ArticleID=honey buns recipe. Shall we get a petition going?

Cheers

• 141 Susan // Jul 15, 2013 at 9:13 pm

BRING BACK MORTON HONEY BUNS, PLEASE!
    My 15 year old son and I just saw that Twinkies and Cupcakes from Hostess are back. I was just telling him about my favorite food that is no longer available. I too, thought it most like a HOTTIE from Krispy Kreme. Delicious, not nutritious! He thinks he would love to try one! Please let him!

• 142 B. Eric // Sep 7, 2013 at 6:28 pm

The best thing that could happen to the brand is for someone to buy the trademarks and the Honey Buns recipe from ConAgra and start making the frozen dinners that people actually liked again, rather than the puny things they were selling a notch under Banquet. ConAgra says low sales killed the line; I say low quality did.

• 143 Mike // Nov 7, 2013 at 2:50 pm

Krispy Cream Donuts are a lot like Morton Honey Buns

• 144 Garland Pollard // Nov 10, 2013 at 5:39 am

great point. I hadnt thought of why i liked both so much. its all in the clear glaze, eh?

• 145 Betty // Dec 22, 2013 at 6:45 pm

Ooh is this for real : http://shop.mywebgrocer.com/Shop.aspx?strid=EA3978969&shopurl=ProductDetail.aspx&pid=21270&clk_src=seopd&sc=SEOPD_CA_4795D138-B97E-465B-9428-AF62E970711D

Has a 2013 date and ConAgra as maker — a test market ??

• 146 Donna // Feb 26, 2014 at 12:16 am

Please bring back the donuts. I can taste them right now with my eyes closed.

• 147 Brenda // May 23, 2014 at 9:22 am

I have been looking for any reference to Morton Frozen Foods, on 1980 Captain America items. I have several I found but can find no reference between the two. I imagine they advertised for the comic books?

• 148 Sharon Fermil // Jul 20, 2014 at 6:30 am

Please bring back morton honey buns no one can or has come close to your four packs. Thank you

• 149 JoAnn // Aug 9, 2014 at 10:05 am

Please bring back Morton products; specifically the Honey Buns and donuts…they were the best and there are no similar products on the market that I have found!!!

• 150 steven noe // Aug 22, 2014 at 2:31 pm

I grew up on morton honey buns they were the best ever. Im 54 years old now & i still miss & talk about them. They would be a great sell !! Many foods are still around because they were great tasting. Why not bring back morton honey buns !!!!

• 151 Colby C. // Sep 21, 2014 at 10:49 pm

When I was a kid, I used to love going to my grandparents’ house out on the farm for one main reason…Honeybuns!!!

I would pay $100 today, for one last 4-pack of Morton Honeybuns. Then I would be really tempted not to share…lol

• 152 Cheryl // Oct 10, 2014 at 11:51 am

I was so happy to see this site, thinking it might convince ConAgra or someone, ANYONE to bring back Morton Honey Buns and mini-donuts! But now I see people have been leaving messages for YEARS. What would it take? Who do we have to convince? We have to find a way to make it happen…

• 153 Terry In Delaware // Oct 11, 2014 at 3:40 pm

Please, please, please, someone bring back the mini frozen sugared donuts!, I promise I will single-handedly keep you in business!!