Prairie Belt, Tasty Smoked Sausage

October 27th, 2008 · 57 Comments

Prairie Belt, Tasty Smoked Sausage

Cousins to Vienna Sausages, but darker? Try some Prairie Belt Smoked Sausage! In case you didn’t know or can’t read, the serving suggestion on the front shows that the sausages are best eaten on a plate, stacked. Thank you for that.

The sausage is distributed by Castleberry’s Food Company from Augusta, Georgia. We found this gem of a food product on the shelves of a Dollar General store in Sarasota’s Gulf Gate area. Dollar General is a genius font of beautiful old brand names. They also sell big brand names, but have gems like this Prairie Belt sitting on the shelves.

Did you know these facts about Goodlettsville, Tennessee-based Dollar General? We pulled it from their site:

Bunny Knows Her Brands
When Will Richmond Bring Back Miller & Rhoads?
Clabber Girl, Indiana (and American) Icon
Valentine Museum Shows Regional Retail Neon
Jane Parker Fruitcakes at A&P
Five Favorite Retail History Websites

Tags: Brand History · Grocery

• 1 David L. McNiel // Nov 6, 2008 at 8:59 am

oh, yeah! I grew up on Prairie Belt sausage! thanks, DG for selling it!

• 2 Patricia Lee // Nov 7, 2008 at 3:49 pm

I have been trying, trying and trying to find this Prairie Belt Smoked Sauasge Packed in Oil, That is the way it use to come packed. Please e-mail me any information you have on where to abtain this item. Any infomation you might have will be a big help. My parents are 81 years old and love these and I am trying to buy a couple of case for them for X mas

• 3 admin // Nov 7, 2008 at 4:09 pm

Patricia — I found them at a Dollar General store here in Sarasota. They are made by Castleberry Food of Augusta, Georgia. I would ask at your local Dollar General.–Garland Pollard, Editor

• 4 bill // Dec 5, 2008 at 6:27 pm

i have been trying to find these sausage in the big cans like they used to come. if anyone knows if they still make them in this size please let me know.
    thanks
    bill in mississippi

• 5 Dorothy Clark // Feb 26, 2009 at 11:03 am

I just want to ask a question. What happened to the oiled sausage that Prairie belt used to make?I can’t find it any more so i assume it was discontinued. If it is still made I would like to know where to get it. Thank You.

• 6 Garland Pollard // Feb 27, 2009 at 7:48 am

Dorothy.. I would suggest you leave a comment with Castleberry directly. The link to their website is below, and if they have your name and information they can track the people who like the product…

Good luck!

• 7 barba ra l williams // Apr 4, 2009 at 6:36 pm

where can I find it in cincinnati,ohio with the area code of 45206

• 8 barba ra l williams // Apr 4, 2009 at 6:38 pm

where can I find it in cincinnati,ohio with the area code of 45206. It was really good!

• 9 barba ra l williams // Apr 4, 2009 at 6:41 pm

please send me some coupons , I liked your product

• 10 David L // Apr 8, 2009 at 10:10 pm

I know where these are made. We just ran a bunch of 5 oz. Prairie Belt this week. We have been making a bunch of the 9 oz. lately, as well. From what I understand, the 9 oz. size is sold mostly in the South.

• 11 New Dollar General Logo - Why Bother? : Keysplash Creative // Apr 24, 2009 at 8:22 pm

[…] on this post from BrandlandUSA, I think that perhaps Dollar General should have focused on updating other parts of its business […]

• 12 Garland Pollard // Oct 19, 2009 at 5:32 pm

We had a reader from Mississippi asking for the LARGE SIZE can of Prairie Belt sausage. Apparently, you could heat up the whole can ON the stove and then eat them right out of the can, hot!

• 13 Tina Brand // Oct 20, 2009 at 12:00 pm

Cannot wait to find some- they look delicious, and I want that label!!
    Prairie Belt, here i come!

• 14 Linda Lail // Jan 16, 2010 at 3:15 pm

Can you tell me were i can find the big cans of smoked sauage at? When i was growing up we called them oil wieniers. can you order them from the company. please let me know. Thank you

• 15 fannie washington // Feb 10, 2010 at 1:48 pm

As an avid Coupon Shopper, I am writing to express my concerns regarding the limited distribution of coupons. I usually get a great deal of my coupons from the Sunday newspaper, however as I am broadening my scope on securing coupons, I have learned that many coupons that are distributed are not enclosed in the Sunday newspaper. I live in a very rural area and the great point of access to coupons for me and my neighbors is the newspaper. I also read the Coupon blogs and have noted that many in other areas (States) are getting coupons from their newspapers that Mississippi does not get. Can you assist in rectifying this concern by including the Mississippi Clarion Ledger newspaper on your distribution list for ALL coupons. In this day of “The big R – Recession” , we all need all the help we can get. I look forward to hearing from you on this matter and getting my coupons in my Sunday newspaper like my other Coupon Buddies. THANKS for your attention and help in this matter.

• 16 Andrew,J. Burnett // Feb 11, 2010 at 8:24 am

looking to buy a case of Prairie Belt smoked sausage,1/2gal,orgal.

• 17 Latasha O // Feb 13, 2010 at 5:51 pm

I just found a site that will ship the prairie belt sausage to you it’s called shopfoodex.com. I just ordered a bunch. Good luck to all.

• 18 Lisa Rattlinggourd // Apr 19, 2010 at 12:20 pm

Until recently, we have been able to buy Prairie Belt Sausages in the large cans at Walmart .. they have discontinued them. Walmart also carried the HOT variety — it is AWESOME!! I have no clue where to buy the HOT PB’s now … we only get the tiny cans at DG.

• 19 Paul McElveen // Jun 14, 2010 at 5:42 pm

I’ve not been able to find PB oil sausage in DG stores or anywhere else. Please, where can I purchase a gallon-size can of PB oil sausage. As a youngster, this was a family reward at cotton-picking time when the first bale of cotton was hauled to the gin.

• 20 Al Foster // Aug 4, 2010 at 11:58 am

Where can I purchase smoked oil sausages
    in Cleveland, Ohio?
    I must have them sent from New Orleans.

• 21 William Ezell // Sep 23, 2010 at 10:24 am

Where can I find the Rex brand sausages. They were oil smokes sausages in a red can With white writing that spelled out the brand name ” Rex” ?
    I live in California and haven’t been able to find them for quite a while.

• 22 OLANDER ELLIS // Dec 15, 2010 at 3:02 pm

i have read all the questions asking where can they buy oil sausage ,but i still don’t know where to buy them. Can someone please tell me where i can get them?

• 23 OLANDER ELLIS // Dec 15, 2010 at 3:03 pm

where ca i get oil sausage

• 24 venechor boyd // Dec 31, 2010 at 9:51 am

you can find the praire belt smoked sausage at the following phone no.
    1-225-687-4547
    Butcher boy
    small cans is .89
    large cans is 1.69
    i do know how many is in a case.

• 25 Pete // Jan 7, 2011 at 1:25 pm

I bought a can of Prairie Belt sausages last night at a
    corner store in Cook County, Ill., and they may have been the
    vilest thing I have ever tried to eat. Wow. I like salt, I like
    sausages, and I like canned food, and my standards are low, but
    these were so salty and ill-tasting that I could only choke down
    two of the seven wieners in the can. Even that small dose left a
    foul taste so intense that brushing my teeth did not remove it.
    Wow. That is a fine label, though.

• 26 Anonymous // Jan 12, 2011 at 8:24 am

where can you get 3lb cans?

• 27 Sai // Jun 15, 2011 at 3:12 pm

You can by Prairie Belt smoked sausages 9.5oz can at Superlo stores – memphis tn. They are $1.67 each. Kids luv these little meaty morsels.

• 28 Gee // Aug 17, 2011 at 5:19 pm

Growing up in New York, we had Rex smoked sausages which had a very good taste. WHERE CAN I FIND THEM OR WHO MAKES THEM? I HAVE TRIED PRAIRIE AND IT DOES COMES CLOSE BUT NOT THE SAME.

• 29 Nick // Sep 6, 2011 at 2:34 pm

I JUST FOUND THIS PRODUCT AT DOLLAR GENERAL!! I HAVE BEEN ASKING MY MOM ABOUT THEM FOR AWHILE. We could not remember the name and I just happen to be in Dollar General Today and I found them!!! Although they are the Vienna Sausage size, the ones I had when I was a kid was in a BIG CAN and the were Bigger Size Sausages. I LOVE THEM and haven’t been able to find them anywhere. No that I have found the Vienna Sausage, I feel like there is hope of finding the LARGE ONES in the BIG CAN. For those of you who have not had the Large version of this Vienna, THE ARE VERY DELICIOUS!

• 30 L D, Just a Souvenir! // Oct 10, 2011 at 11:12 pm

Looking at the comments I see a definite disconnect between those saying they are finding Prairie Belt oil sausages the stores now and the sausage some are referring to as ‘in the big can’.

The big can was a gallon, there was a half gallon and the smallest was about 16oz. They were packed in an oil that had about the same viscosity as 30 weight motor oil which easily jelled when put in the fridge. They had a robust taste that resembled Underwood Deviled Ham if you were to smoke it but without the gritty bite having instead almost the consistency of an almost ripe banana. Only the kid on the label is the same and the last time I saw a can was around ’92 at a truck stop stacked on a shipping palate and had a feeling I should have bought a few of them because they were gone the next day.

I did see them on a Piggly Wiggly store flyer online but when I called they did not have anyone that seemed to be about to set up shipping some to me.

The Vienna sausages may be okay by most standards, but just using the image to sell a memory, just a souvenir can as I see it.

• 31 Laquida Rone // Jan 8, 2012 at 10:02 pm

Looking for rex smoke sausage in the red can. I use to eat them years ago and cannot find them now. They were much bigger than the vienna sausage in the cans today. If they are still on the market I would love to know where I can purchase them.

• 32 The7thDoctor // Feb 4, 2012 at 12:11 am

In Chicago, IL they were packaged as “Red River Sausages” and sold in little convenience, AKA LIQUOR stores (all run by Arabic men, who all, somehow, inexplicably settled on the store name “Three Stooges”. ?) I understood that my mother was a greedy SOW but she totally stretched the limits of vulgarity by buying and eating these disgusting wieners, produced in Satan’s kitchen! I notice the words “Chicken” on the label in this picture. The ones from the 80’s were made from whatever was left of cows after the normal people got done with them… INGREDIENTS: Beef hearts, beef spleens, tripe, beef lips… That’s right, BEEF LIPS! What. The. FUCK! When I read that, as a kid, I imagined a guy going up to some unsuspecting cow and ripping it’s lips off!

• 33 Roger // Mar 16, 2012 at 9:28 am

Do they still make the large cans of Prairie Belt smoked sausages all I can find are the 9.5oz cans

• 34 Lynn // Apr 8, 2012 at 12:09 am

Does anyone know where I can get a prarie belt sausage t-shirt??

• 35 Ben // Apr 16, 2012 at 4:16 pm

Dollar General carries the 5 oz cans, Walmart online shows both, 5 & 9 1/2 oz cans. At one time they were made with beef scraps, not anymore. They also had big cans they called breakfast sausage, it was fine ground like gravy but was not too bad. Haven’t seen that in a long time.

• 36 David // May 12, 2012 at 12:38 am

Prairie Belt (my kids called them Prairie Dog) sausages are good and spicy…there is nothing like them for breakfast! I hate the Vienna Sausage size ones, they taste nothing like the breakfast sized ones. We buy them at Winn Dixie and at WalMart stores…all you have to do is ask for them, and they’ll find them for you…they have to sell enough of them to justify keeping them on the shelves, so be ready to stock up!

• 37 markpenland // Aug 15, 2012 at 6:27 pm

how can I order prairie-belt to my home,I live in Scobey MT 59263

• 38 James // Sep 19, 2012 at 8:14 pm

It is amazing that from the comments I did read that this is a new product to some people! I am 42 years old and I remember getting them from my Grand Mother when I was 5. They are always readily available in the grocery stores here in SC also in WalMart and DG.

• 39 anthony // Oct 6, 2012 at 2:45 am

here in ms. we have those smoked sausage in a can here but its its not nothing like what we use to have .wish i could find the real rex oil sausage

• 40 anthony // Oct 6, 2012 at 2:47 am

i guess its because they dont swim or fly the reason they dont make rex oil sausage anymore

• 41 David610 // Oct 7, 2012 at 10:51 am

I live in the Philadelphia Pa area and remember eating these as a kid in the 60s. I loved these sausages. My mother use to buy the large can. From what I’m reading these smaller cans are not the same. There are sites online like buythecase.com that sell the smaller cans.

• 42 April // Oct 22, 2012 at 8:23 pm

Just sliced 2 small cans in a lil spaghetti and cheese mmmm mmm good

• 43 Daniel Tran // Jul 5, 2013 at 7:49 pm

More proof why old people shouldn’t be allowed on the Internet. The nostalgia for an awful food product is astounding.

• 44 Jones // Feb 19, 2014 at 1:56 pm

Prairie Belt Sausage….

Use to be made by Bryan Brothers (Bryan Foods)
    Packing Company of West Point, Mississippi.

Made at the former West Point Plant, Jettisoned by Sarah Lee Corporation around 2007.

Put some 1,500 West Pointers Out of Work.

Grew up on the NASTY little greasy sausages in a grade school cafateria, at least twice per week, courtesy of Ida Folain, so called cafateria dietician.

She was also noted for her famous vinegar salad!

Often wonder if the “little dork” on the can, was one of the Bryan Brothers son’s and or grandson’s?

He was straight out of the 1950’s, the only difference was, that he did not ware “white wall’s”, like my parents insisted on!

NASTY, NASTY, little greasy sausages and just looking at the label, I NOW CAN TATSE the FOUL TASTE!!!

• 45 Rhonda // Oct 30, 2014 at 8:47 pm

The best sausage I have ever tasted. Can someone please tell me where I can get some more of these deliciously tasty treats. I eat them with homemade biscuits and ribbon cane syrup.

• 46 Hallie // Apr 26, 2015 at 4:12 pm

Where can I find Prairie Belt smoke sausage. They are the best. I have been looking for months in San Antonio TX. Please help.

• 47 gail brown // May 24, 2015 at 6:03 am

where can i buy the Prairie Belt Smoke Sausage

• 48 Cindy Sanches // Oct 9, 2015 at 7:17 pm

Where can I buy Prairie Belt Smoke Sausage? In the Dallas Ft. Worth Tx area. Dollar General use to have them but not anymore

• 49 Linda Pulliam // Oct 14, 2015 at 1:12 pm

Does Castleberrys still make Georgia Hash? I loved this and would like to continue to buy it if I can find somewhere that sells it. Please say you still make it!!!

• 50 Kai // Nov 21, 2015 at 1:35 pm

Like lots on here, I too am on the hunt for the “Rex” sausages I grew up on in the red labeled can. My granny would fry them up, gently and we’d eat them with grits and eggs…yummy! I would LOVE to find these and let us have the notalgic taste/ moment together today!! There was a store I use to know where to get them in NY in the ’90’s but I doubt they still have them. Plus I now live in 99th west coast. Of anybody knows…….PLEASE POST!!

• 51 Karen williams // Jun 7, 2016 at 7:52 pm

Why does prairie belt not make the oil sausage in the large cans. I grew up with my mom cooking biscuits and rice with oil sausage we would save the juice and make coffee gravy to dip our biscuits in .there is such a demand here in mississippi for the product that dollar general can not keep them stocked ! I guarantee if you start putting the larger cans back into production you will not be able to supply the demand ! Why wouldn’t a company want to increase the sales of there product ? Doesn’t make sense to me . Sincerely karen williams Laurel, miss.

• 52 Karen williams // Jun 7, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Here it is above

• 53 Karen williams // Jun 7, 2016 at 7:54 pm

Karen williams , laurel ms.

• 54 L McDonald // Jul 22, 2016 at 9:16 pm

Dollar General sells tghe Prarie Belt small cans in East Texas. Just bought 24 cans in Jasper Texas, to take home to San Antonio. They are nor as good as the large oil sausage cans of my youth, but still better than Viennas.

• 55 LeRoy Hurlbut // Aug 17, 2016 at 7:22 am

I recollect buying a 55 gallon drum or two of these from the West Point factory, for company picnics back in the 1960’s. Mmmmmmmmm!!

• 56 Eloise McLendon // Jan 24, 2017 at 9:25 am

I buy these at dollar general in our small town in Jena Louisiana .At a young age I remember my older sister keepin big can of these out on her stove.They were packed in oil so in the morning at breakfast she would pull out amount to warm in skillet.So good!!

• 57 Nicole Eason // Jul 7, 2017 at 8:43 am

Hi your smoked Sausages are the best. Is there anyway we could get some with less sodium and half the cholesterol???? I love them, but my doctor says its too much sodium intake and I don’t want to give them up LOL. Thanks