“Core values” of the Partridge brand
HOLLYWOOD – The Partridges are coming back. Nellie Andreeva of The Hollywood Reporter writes that The Partridge Family will return to television. Instead of ABC, the singing family will be on NBC. According to the story, writer Jeff Rake will have a new twist on the show, which will be shot with a single camera, and will apparently “turn the premise on its head.”
“In the original, the kids actually recruited their mom to front the band, which I can’t see happening in any family on this planet,” he told the Reporter. “The new version will reflect what seems to me to be the more realistic family band scenario these days: a struggling, sort of well-meaning mom pimping her kids in order to create a wholesome-slash-sexy cash cow.”
It certainly does seem like that would be the reality, but do we need to tart up Shirley Jones? We knew Shirley liked to sing, but Danny has to be the pimp or it won’t work. Frankly Reuben Kinkaid was the guy who was always pimping, along with Danny. The question. How will NBC reconcile the lyrics to the theme song with the mom as pimp premise?The words go:
Five of us, and mom working all day, we knew we could help her if our music would pay. Danny got Reuben to sell our song, and it really came together when mom sang along.”
What are the core points of the Partridge brand? Remember, to relaunch a brand you need some core ideas of the original, with a fresh twist. That means new, but not too new.
Partridge brand points:
- First, there is the theme music and the cartoon egg graphics. Frankly, if the episode was junk, at least the theme song and graphics gave you a bit of entertainment. Cover the song, but don’t change the song, or the animation.
- Second, there is the association with ABC. ABC is so much more Partridge than NBC. Wrong, wrong.
- Third, the show needs to be made by Screen Gems. Screen Gems seems to be all about horror these days but the association is key.
- Fourth, some sort of Cassidy needs to be involved, somehow. We hear Shaun Cassidy, now 50, directs TV. Whatever it is, it needs some Cassidy around the set to give it street cred.
- Fifth, it needs to be on Friday nights. Friday is the night for babysitters, kids’ slumber parties and such. That’s the night when kids get to stay up late.
- Lastly, a red-head needs to play Danny Partridge.
Perhaps we need one of the many Partridge or Cassidy fan clubs to start a “Keep Reuben as the Pimp” lobbying effort?