Brands of Toaster Pastries

October 3rd, 2009 · 16 Comments

Toast Em toaster pastryWhile we are big fans of Pop Tarts, we are intrigued that there are other brands around.

Wikipedia says that Post, part of General Foods, was the innovator in the early 1960s of the toaster pastry.

1. At Dollar Tree today, we found Toast’em Pop Ups, which claim to date back to 1964 and are the descendants of those first toaster pastries. Their website says that Schulze and Burch Biscuit Company produced the first toaster pastry – Toast’em – for General Foods. In 1971, Schulze and Burch of Chicago bought the Toast’em brand, and still makes it. At $1 for six, it’s a deal.
  2. Nabisco used to make Toastettes, but we recall that they were never iced and were a bit more boring, though competent. If you go to the site of Toastettes, it refers back to Nabisco’s site. We won’t miss Toastettes that much.
  3. Then there are Kellogg’s Pop Tarts, the favorite. Pop Tarts, according to their site, began in the early 1960s, and were actually first to market. Frosted Pop Tarts appeared in 1967.

Did you know that after natural disasters, Wal-Mart knows that Americans crave Pop-Tarts, and they are restocked quickly because of demand.

Hydrox cookies come back
Kellogg's Brings Mother's Cookies Back To Life
Pop Tarts Go Pop Art
What Happened to Milton the Toaster?
Mother's Cookies Now In Kansas City
Lemon Coolers or How to Snag Brand Equity Legally

Tags: News

• 1 dig sandy // Oct 14, 2009 at 3:05 pm

Was it Toast’ems or Toastettes that had its little holes shaped like X’s? I liked those just fine, and at a much better price than Pop Tarts!

• 2 Garland Pollard // Oct 14, 2009 at 9:36 pm

I think it was Toastettes, but I could be wrong. Come to think of it, in the 1970s, any tart was a treat.

• 3 Stevie D // Jan 20, 2010 at 2:20 pm

You’ll need to add “Danish Go Rounds” The King of the toaster delights.

• 4 gojira // Feb 17, 2010 at 5:58 pm

I remember eating the ‘generic’ Toast’ems as a child & thought that they were much better than poptarts bc they were moister. I am glad that they are @ the $ Tree nowadayz

• 5 Andy // Apr 16, 2010 at 1:05 pm

Toastettes indeed had a frosted variety … but the crust was so pourous and spongy that the frost didn’t appear very solid on top, and when you toasted them the white frosting sort of oozed into the cakey goodness.

And Toastettes were the ones with the little “X”s on top.

I loved ’em, though. If you did too, join our Facebook group to help bring them back!

(Thanks for the article, Garland. Keep up the good work!)

• 6 Garland Pollard // Apr 17, 2010 at 6:08 am

Andy: Thanks for starting up the group. Nabisco just might listen.

• 7 Janie // Oct 19, 2010 at 7:59 am

The BEST!

• 8 Angela // Jan 27, 2011 at 10:51 am

Toastettes were the BEST!! The neat little x-shaped holes, the little “pillow” crusts and the sprinkle of sugar instead of frosting. So much better than Pop-Tarts! I hope they bring them back!

• 9 diana ward // Jan 28, 2011 at 11:14 pm

looking for the recipe for poptarts
    It was on nbc today show this week
    and I cannot find it on their website.
    thank you…….

• 10 ba84ut // Dec 25, 2012 at 7:07 pm

who made the toaster pastries in 70s which were shaped like animals? I think I remember a peanut butter flavor shaped like elephant.

• 11 myrnamau // Jul 14, 2013 at 8:09 am

I remember the animal shaped toaster pastries in the late 1960s. I loved those! Would eat them now. I think they were Toast’ems but I was pretty young back then so I could be remembering it wrong. I liked the elephants the best.

• 12 Donna // Jan 5, 2015 at 11:58 am

Toastettes were the best! I haven’t eaten toaster pastries since they quit making them because the other brands are too doughy. Toastettes were lighter and crispy-toastier. Now I just make a loaf of banana bread if i want quick breakfast snacks for a day or two.

• 13 bill // Jul 29, 2016 at 6:19 pm

In the sixties we bought a toaster pastry called Toastwitches. I don’t know who made them. They seemed to disappear about 1969. They blew Pop Tarts away. Does ANYONE remember these, or am I slipping between parallel dimensions? I can’t seem to find any history on this product to save my life!

• 14 Garland Pollard // Jul 30, 2016 at 4:46 pm

sadly I dont remember Toastwitches at all, but home some others do. Good memory….

• 15 Mike // Jan 27, 2017 at 5:55 am

There is something seriously wrong with anyone who has eaten Toastettes and does not miss them !! I personally do not like toaster pastries with frosting. Why ruin a good pastry by putting bad frosting on it ? That’s like putting bad icing on your pie. The frosting was probably introduced on Pop Tarts to make the “cardboard cookie” somewhat edible and add some semblance of taste.

• 16 Greg // Jul 30, 2017 at 8:27 pm

Toast’ems chocolate elephant, berry bear, and sugar spice lion:)
    Pic of end cap display here: https://www.flickr.com/photos/29884868@N04/4392256930