History of Lem Pie Filling and Pudding

March 6th, 2010 · 41 Comments

Lem Pie fillingCHERRY HILL, N.J. – LEM is a special kind of lemon filling, found in select grocery stores and specialty food shops. Made by Cherry Hill, N.J.-based Serv-Agen, it is quite different than your regular pie filling.

It was originally called Mrs. Morrison’s LEM, and was a “one-line item” company. It is made with pure egg yolk batter, tapioca flour and no artificial lemon flavors. Eventually, it became part of the Serv-Agen company, makers of Serv-a-Gravy.

Its ingredients are a lesson in marketing. The prize element of the filling is that the oil of lemon in the ingredients is sent to an extra sterile pharmaceutical company where it is turned into an encapsulated gel capsule, before it is packaged.

We found out about Lem while writing about Serv-a-Gravy, that classic gravy sauce in a packet. The company was founded by Herbert W. Salus in 1936, though LEM much older, over 100 years old. Salus was a civil service commissioner and attorney who got into the spice business on the side. LEM can be found at many regional grocery stores.

Serv-Agen Makes Some Serv-A-Gravy
Thinking About Congoleum and Linoleum
Need Some Hollingshead Wax for That Olds Cutlass?
Serv-a-Gravy Found! Plus a Bit of History

Tags: Grocery

• 1 BARBARA // Mar 31, 2010 at 9:27 am

Where can I purchase LEM Pie and Pudding?
    I live in Magnolia, NJ (very close to Cherry Hill) and I can’t find it…………..Thanks

• 2 L L // Apr 2, 2010 at 11:55 am

This information is wrong. Serv-Agen is closed up. The phone # 856-685-7946 is no longer. Sorry

• 3 dayle // May 19, 2010 at 2:37 pm

I live in Myrtle Beach, SC and I can’t fine Lem pie filling anymore either. What’s happened to it?

• 4 Karen // May 27, 2010 at 4:10 pm

I live in Pa below Philadelphia and my mom too is looking for LEM pie filling. The only store around here that still carried it was Shop N’ Bag in Aston and they recently closed. Now she doesn’t know where to find it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

• 5 Garland Pollard // May 28, 2010 at 7:14 pm

I would talk to your grocery store. From what I understand Haddon House distributors and some other specialty wholesalers carried the line. I would ask for it at gourmet stores, etc.

• 6 Reverend MA // Aug 11, 2010 at 5:28 pm

On Monday, I purchased a box of LEM at the Acme in South Philadelphia on Passyunk Avenue. It was stocked with the Jell-o and what not.

I am eager to give it a go.

• 7 Clif // Sep 6, 2010 at 11:04 am

Grew up in Philadelphia and remember Mrs Morrison’s Vanilla Pudding, It was awesome and the chocolate was good too. last time I bought it was in the early 70’s. Anybody now where to buy some today?

• 8 Greg // Dec 10, 2010 at 6:37 pm

Question, if the company has closed, how is product available? Search for Lem. It is everywhere on the net. However with shipping the price is pretty stout.

• 9 linda // Feb 6, 2011 at 12:58 pm

You can find lem pudding & Pie filling in giant food stores for .89

• 10 Theresa // Jun 3, 2011 at 8:30 pm

Karen, I live in Philly, you can find Lem in the Acme stores.

• 11 W. T. MacNew // Jun 6, 2011 at 4:18 pm

What ever happened to Mrs Morrisons Golden Pudding? I’m 86 and would love to have that glorious pudding before I get the final call. My mother and grandmother use to prepare it often as a family dessert.

• 12 kim // Nov 19, 2011 at 5:34 pm

we live in Seaford Delaware and cant find Lem anywhere where can we find it

• 13 D.Townsend // Nov 20, 2011 at 11:59 pm

Live in Seaford,De..I seen other post as where to find Lem..We have Gaint Food here in the Salisbury Md area and Acme in Dover,De area.

• 14 Pauline mobley // Nov 25, 2011 at 10:30 pm

I have an annual quest for this pudding and pie filling. My Mom always used this pudding for cup cake filling, lemon meringue pie. I’m in my fiftys and my son in his thirty’s and wants only LEM for his pie. I tried other brands and they just don’t measure up to the taste, color ad cosistacy.

I’m so glad to have foud it this year.
    Happy Thanksgiving

• 15 Donna // Dec 16, 2011 at 9:46 pm

I was just at the Acme in South Philly 2day & I was told they have taken the Lem Product off the shelves & it is no longer sold in the Acme on Passyunk & Reed St . There is no Giant store around here and I don’t know where else to look. Shop Rite has something awful that they pass off as a lemon filling

• 16 Lauren // Dec 23, 2011 at 6:29 am

I also live in Philadelphia and have been looking for Lem. My grandmother used to make it all the time, and I was looking for a bit of nostalgia/comfort foods lately. Is Lem no longer available? I have looked at my local ShopRite and Superfresh, no luck. Seems to be out of stock on Amazon as well.

• 17 Pie fillings : Lem Pie Filling And Pudding // Jul 23, 2012 at 10:59 am

[…] CHERRY HILL, N.J. – LEM is a special kind of lemon filling, found in select grocery stores and specialty food shops. Made by Cherry Hill, N.J.-based Serv-Agen,… Link to source site […]

• 18 Sharon Johnson // Jan 5, 2015 at 3:14 pm

My mother made this throughout my childhood and teen years. Fantastic product! I don’t care what the cost is but I have to order it probably in bulk. I just happened to get on line to check it out and found this site! Another site is selling t for $1.99 per box. Any suggestions about price range? Email me at sjohnsonrn@att.net

• 19 Charlette Scarborough // Mar 29, 2015 at 10:08 am

I love in Columbus Ohio and been looking for this every since a general store closed in Virginia named New Church market…where can I get it online without having to purchase the whole 24 pkg for $70+

• 20 Carolynne // May 13, 2015 at 4:50 pm

I tried Lem for the first time today. It is not very lemony-really it is rather bland. It was a waste of money. It is easy to make lemon pudding (lemon curd) and it is much tastier.

• 21 Lisa // Jun 6, 2015 at 12:31 pm

I just purchased it at a Giant in Doylestown, PA!

• 22 Richard // Jul 13, 2015 at 9:36 am

You can buy it at Walmart and Martin’s Food Market. I live in Cumberland Maryland. It makes the best Lemon Pies. Yum Yummy!!

• 23 Marge Copple // Aug 3, 2015 at 11:16 am

My girlfriend found Lem at the Shop Rite in West Chester, looked for it at the Shop Rite in RioGrande<NJ, but no luck—I live in Pittsburgh cannot find it at all, please help me locate it in this area.

• 24 Pam // Nov 4, 2015 at 5:27 pm

I too, am looking for LEM. My mother would pour a little on ginger bread cake for us as children in the 60’s. Loved it. I want to share it with my grandchildren now. Northampton Pa

• 25 Debbie // Oct 20, 2016 at 7:02 pm

I live in Rochester, WA . I grew up on gingerbread with a lemon sauce over top of the gingerbread. I can’t find the Lem pie fill here . Can anyone help me? It’s getting that time of the year help

• 26 Kathe Wagner // Nov 28, 2016 at 12:10 pm

Please where can I find LEM? Delaware or Eastern Shore of Maryland??

• 27 Vincent Lattanzi jr // Jan 2, 2017 at 4:13 pm

Where can I find lem? Is the company out of business?

• 28 Ruthann // Jan 6, 2017 at 3:42 pm

Where can I get LEM pie filling? Wish another company would make this item if Ser-Agen has gone out of business. SURE DO MISS THIS PRODUCT. I live in south Jersey but go to Delaware often.

• 29 Earl // Jan 8, 2017 at 12:20 pm

Can not find Lem here in northern Chester County Pa. any more. Last saw it in October 2016 at Acme, but no more. Also – not at Wegmans, Giant, or Redners.
    Really miss it. Made perfect lemon meringue pie every time.

• 30 Nettie // Feb 19, 2017 at 8:53 am

Please let me know where I can buy Lem. My mother had been using this every since I was a little girl that the only thing I will cook with. Please help me. Thanks In Advance
    I live in Phila., Pa.

• 31 Mickey // Feb 20, 2017 at 9:45 am

Hi, live in southern Chester County PA, i too am looking for the original Lem pudding and pie filling and have wasted a good amount of money etc to find a replacement. How is it that something so popular just drops off the face of the earth? Can anyone help?

• 32 Martie // Mar 21, 2017 at 7:54 am

3/21/17-I just called their corporation office and they said that they had stopped making it a year ago-it was no longer cost effective to make-anybody know where to get any old Lem?

• 33 Susan // Mar 24, 2017 at 12:45 pm

I am also looking for original LEM, my Mother used to make a lemon sauce to pour over Gingerbread. The recipe was on the box! I miss it so and would love to make it for my parents.

thanks!

• 34 Judy Drexler // Apr 17, 2017 at 9:29 am

I am looking for Lem pudding. Tried to make a pie for Easter and it did not gel like Lem pudding. Where is it available in the Easton, PA area?

• 35 Eileen // Apr 25, 2017 at 10:58 am

lem is the easiest filling to make for people with sugar

• 36 Joan // Jul 12, 2017 at 9:24 am

I live in Pa. and can’t find LEM In any of the stores around here, WalMart, or Giant.

• 37 Jeannie Messantonio // Jul 20, 2017 at 3:32 pm

Hello
    We live in Plymouth Meeting PA
    Can you PLEASE let us know where we can buy LEM????

• 38 Deborah Stewart // Sep 4, 2017 at 10:00 am

I live in Florida, I am looking for it. I love it with gingerbread. Please let me know if there is anything that comes close to it.

• 39 Monica Warren // Sep 6, 2017 at 7:39 pm

I grew up in Millville and my mother woyld make gingerbread cake and pour lem on top. I now live in Asheville NC and can no longer find. It was here when I worked gor Haddon House Foods but when we lost the Ingles account lem disappeared. Ive heard thru the grapevine that they ghost ot the business back starting in 2018. So I’m hoping it will return to the shelves here as I would love to make for my grandkids.

• 40 betty jean miller // Sep 10, 2017 at 3:43 pm

where can i buy lem pudding and pie filling? is it ever coming back?

• 41 Dawn Phillips // Oct 18, 2017 at 1:03 pm

as of 10/18/2017…. I just spoke to SERV-AGEN, The distributor of LEM. Their representative told me that LEM is no longer manufactured because of the high cost of its unique ingredients. He gave me his sincerest apologies… THE END