Bartons Candy and Chocolate

December 22nd, 2008 · 22 Comments

Bartons Candy and ConfectionersOnce an institution in New York, Bartons Confections candy is still around.

Founded in 1898, their site says that it was in 1938 that the company was started by Viennese chocolatier Stephen Klein. He started Bartons Salon De Chocolat Shops in the New York area.

We are fans of their peppermint bark. Sort of. Well it depends.

Sadly, they no longer have any of their own retail stores, though their products are sold in retail stores across the country and online including Amazon. Read below for many comments on the history and brand.

Life Savers Hang on For Life
Halloween Candy Market Share, Very Unscientific
History of Bogdon's Candy Sticks
Sevigny's, Great American Ribbon Candy
Dubble Bubble, America's Favorite, Not American!
New Necco Packaging Ruins Classic Look. Necco's New Coke?

Tags: Grocery

• 1 Beverly Brady // Mar 14, 2011 at 8:41 am

I recently purchased 3 Barton Candy molds. Each is about 2 ft long, 1 ft wide…They make from 50 to 75 of so of candies. The antique shop I purchassed them from had written on each tag “made 1913″…Can you tell me more about them (how to use them in a home environment)…..they appear to be made of heavy gauge aluminum…Thanks.

• 2 gert epstein // Mar 5, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Interested in the history of the Bartons candy company. We carried the Bartons line of kosher for passover candies for many years in our Kosher establishment..as I recall the original company changed ownership sometime in the early 1980’s? We were unable to purchase the kosher candy for awhile. Can you suggest where I might be able to learn more about their history since that time? Thank you so much. Still think there is nothing equal to the “almond Kisses” made at Passover time.
    Gert Epstein
    epsteinbubbie@aol.com

• 3 Debbie Pasinski // Jul 24, 2012 at 5:46 am

I just purchased a Happy Elf from a garage sale that was still in the package, could you tell me what it is worth or do you still sell these? They are adorable.

• 4 Alicia // Jan 15, 2015 at 4:09 am

I’m curious as to why there was a small piece of plastic in my candy? Is this a new ingredient?

• 5 Gerda Albert // Aug 23, 2015 at 9:18 am

Your info about Barton’s Candy is not quite correct. They had MANY of their own retail stores. Over 3,000! See below:
    The company, which began as a one-room factory with door-to-door sales, expanded quickly through the establishment of retail outlets, initially known as Barton’s Bonbonniere. The company, which became a public corporation in 1960, now has annual sales of $17 million and serves 3000 stores throughout the United States.

• 6 Deborah Ware // Nov 10, 2015 at 10:59 am

I miss Barton’s Candies. I use to live in Los Angeles and for a long time there were places you could purchase Barton’s Candies. Fairfax District, etc. Also, during the Chanukah and Christmas Holidays sometimes the Union Markets like Safeway or Pavilions would carry the Barton’s Candies in colorful tin boxes. I would buy several for gifts. If Barton’s original recipe candies no longer exist, I beseech ALL descendants of King David to rise to the effort of bringing back delicious quality of Kosher Candies back to the public! But made in the U.S. Todah .

• 7 Joe Weingarten // Nov 21, 2015 at 8:32 am

Bartons was started by Saul Klein and Isak and Mancie Weingarten. My grandmother, Mancie, made most of the recipes for the candy much of which is still in use. I remember as a very small child sitting on the floor behind the counter reaching into a bin of candy like M&Ms until I was too full. Also after Thanksgiving and Easter getting broken chocolate turkeys and rabbits. The store was on Broadway in NYC between 95 and 96 st. In the late 40’s or early 50’s my grandparents sold their half of the business to Mr. Klein and then he expanded the business. But if you like the truffles thank my grandmother.

• 8 Garland Pollard // Nov 23, 2015 at 9:43 am

Joe..thank you for this history of Bartons, joe…..

• 9 Charles // Nov 30, 2015 at 10:37 am

4yrs ago I purchased a great peppermint bark candy bar from Trader Joe’s after two years they quit carrying them, then the next year I saw Barton’s peppermint bark candy bars at Raleys. I purchased a years supply! I think TJ’s had Barton’s make theirs. This year, I found their products at the Grocery Outlet chain. Unfortunately no single peppermint bark bars. But they had the Tin’s and the 8oz boxes. Enjoy everyone!

• 10 Shirley // Dec 16, 2015 at 3:17 pm

Can’t find the peppermint bark any place.
    Last year it was at The Christmas Tree Shops.
    In Indianapolis, IN.
    My friends will be disappointed for sure this
    Christmas!
    Shirley

• 11 Shelly // Jan 13, 2016 at 7:33 pm

Hi, I just purchased a box of Bartons Peppermint Bark at our local Dollar General Store.

• 12 Ruth Padorr // Apr 23, 2016 at 7:45 am

Just bought the kosher almond kisses. Have been a customer for years, but had not seen them around here in South Fla until now. I was so excited to find the,. Bought them and I am thoroughly disappointed. The taste was awful, almost spoiled and the form is totally different than the old almond soft ones I used to get years ago. Appreciate your comments. Thank u. Ruth

• 13 Michael Weinstein // May 29, 2016 at 10:40 am

A nephew of my grandmother, his name was Robert (Rubin) Levine, owned a few Barton’s Candy outlets in New York in the 1930s and 1940s. His main location was in the garment district of Manhattan. As part of my genealogy research, I would like to find out how many retail Barton’s Candy outlets Mr. Levine owned. How would I go about this research? My email address is weinstein1250@comcast.net

• 14 Garland Pollard // Jun 3, 2016 at 9:17 pm

Good luck on the search Michael…

• 15 Sadie // Jun 21, 2016 at 2:03 pm

I’d be Leary of Barton’s. I worked there a few years ago. It was part of cherrydale farms in Allentown pa. The family 2-3 generation ran Cherrydale into the ground and acquired Barton’s. They ran Barton’s into the ground and bought Bazzini Nuts. They run the Barton’s name and Cherrydale through this company. Before Bazzini they were bankrupt and selling off all their machinery. Its a ?????!! Organization now….

• 16 megan // Jan 12, 2017 at 5:21 pm

I was interested to see these posts. We’ve carried Bartons candy for 50 some years. My store was named after Bartons candy in the beginning. I don’t know how many other original Bartons candy stores there are in the US anymore. We’re expecting our first shipment of candy in February (next month) and another shipment in March in time for Passover. We’ll have the almond kisses and we’re taking pre-orders now. Like everything, tastes change, ingredients change and candy changes. But the Bartons name is still around and they’re still producing candy under the name. And we’ll continue to carry it. Check us out on: http://www.bartonstoys.com

• 17 Garland Pollard // Jan 12, 2017 at 7:46 pm

Way cool glad you all lasted — what a treasure

• 18 Suzanne Bullard // Mar 10, 2017 at 8:21 pm

I bought 6 tinsd of almond kisses….why are they NOT Carmel soft like a flaky fudge not at all what I have bought in the past 20 years..what’s going on this was no a cheap price and I am very disappointed…..

• 19 Audrey Leffel // Apr 11, 2017 at 6:58 pm

I just bought the Passover Carmel Almond Kisses…they are terrible. the only thing the same is the tin. Bartons started the almond kisses in 1938, the year I was born. I grew up eating them. I haven’t had them for a number of years…..this Passover I bought a few cans..couldn’t wait to open and eat. the packaging is different, the candy is flat, its not chewy like it used to be. I know the company
    was sold, but what happen to the recipes. These tins are expensive….I am very disappointed.

• 20 Sandra Mell // Apr 20, 2017 at 11:39 am

The new Almond Kisses are terrible. I have bought them for many years during Passover and looked forward to them this year.
    They are not carmel like previous years. Very disappointed

• 21 Rochelle Kevelson // Apr 28, 2017 at 10:31 am

I purchased the Almond Kisses in Boca . They do not taste anything like
    they used to.
    I would like to know how the tin is sealed? My tin had 4 round clear stickers. The kisses are sealed in plastic. One was slit.

Very disappointed .

• 22 Mother’s Day Memories | Pen 4 Rent // May 14, 2017 at 12:18 am

[…] Mom’s favorite ice cream, but it was an infrequent treat. However, it was usually available at a Barton’s confectionary store, one of which was located near Penn Station, so we’d often stop there after […]