Amusing Brand: Glamorene Rug, Upholstery Cleaner

November 3rd, 2010 · 21 Comments

Glamorene was once a top upholstery cleaner; it has since disappeared from American shelves. Such an amusing name. Pictured here, a can from the 1970s or so.

Glamorene was originally made by the company Jerclaydon, a company owned by three brothers named Sheldon, Clayton and Jerold Hulsh. Time magazine has a great article from the 1950s on its testing by Reader’s Digest; apparently it was a “compound of cellulose fiber (resembling sawdust) and various cleaning agents which can be rubbed into a rug, then brushed out bringing the dirt with it.”

Later, it was made by Airwick Industries of Carlstadt, New Jersey. At some time, it became part of Reckitt & Colman, the British company best known for Dettol. Apparently, Glamorene was sold, on order of Federal Trade Commission divestiture, to Joh. A. Benckiser GmbH of Germany.

In 1999, Britain’s Reckitt & Colman and Benckiser merged, becoming one of the world’s largest companies of cleaning brands.

Apparently, the brand was a bit more glamorous back in the 1950s, when it was new.

Tags: Soap

• 1 Howard // Nov 4, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Very interesting! And the link that you have for Glamorene’s past went to another website I subscribe to, Allie Willis.com Everything’s come full circle for me!!

• 2 billy // Mar 26, 2011 at 9:30 am

My mom and I just found one of the glass bottles! We had no idea what it was until we came on here and looked! WOWWWW!!! 1950!

• 3 beth // Jul 2, 2011 at 3:38 pm

im trying to find some glamorene.. or does anyone have something similiar?? email me :((

• 4 Mary C. Mills // Aug 25, 2011 at 2:30 am

I remember my Mom buying Glamorene in the 50’s & how amazingly it worked. Where can I buy some? I really miss it & I haven’t found anything that cleans as well as Glamorene did!

• 5 Pat Krimmel // Dec 28, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I have an item that may be of interest to someone associated with that company or someone who purchased that company – Glamourene. If someone can help with a contact – it could be fun!
    Thanks!
    Pat

• 6 waldo // Jan 17, 2012 at 9:55 pm

This product was frequently advertised on the old radio comedy “the couple next door”.

Episodes can be found at archive.org, and the advertising starts around episode 100

• 7 Karl Kress // Mar 16, 2012 at 5:51 pm

What happened to Glamorene SPRAY ‘N VAC RUG cleaner and deoderizer?

• 8 Karl Kress // Mar 16, 2012 at 5:53 pm

It was a fantastic product.

• 9 Dianne Crockett // May 23, 2012 at 11:46 am

Did anyone find out where we can buy Glamorine of a product that works as well?

• 10 Lady Ashmire // Aug 15, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Supposedly this is a very similar product: https://hostdry.alice.com/

Anyone know if it’s also good on upholstery? I don’t have carpets in my home but I do have a couch that never looks clean.

• 11 Victoria Hulsh // Oct 14, 2012 at 8:38 am

Even today many are looking for Glamorene carpet cleaners that my father created. Not only does it work to clean, there was not water clean up , not shrinkage to wool carpets which would shrink away from their respected size!!

• 12 Denny Van Orman // Nov 7, 2012 at 9:01 am

In the infamous “50’s” my mother dated Mr Hulsh. Nice person.

• 13 Tim Eldridge // May 13, 2014 at 11:38 am

I actually have a can just like the one pictured in the article complete with yellow brush. It is in good condition. Anyone interested may email me at eldridgebilly@yahoo.com.

• 14 Paul Boothby // Jul 5, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I was a chemist at Winthrop Laboratories, Newcastle upon Tyne, England in the mid 1960’s, where one of the products I workwed on was Glamorene Carper Shampoo. I never saw it on sale in the UK

• 15 Kirk // Sep 10, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Hey all. I use a product called Host in my janitorial service that my customers tell me is very similar to Glamorene. Their web address is: hostdry.com
    Hope this helps,Kirk

• 16 Richard // Nov 9, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Thanks Kirk, that’s good information :)

• 17 Joe // Mar 19, 2015 at 3:07 pm

I have a full bottle of glamorene in my garage, is it worth anything?

• 18 Garland Pollard // Mar 20, 2015 at 3:05 pm

probably not…but a fun thing to have…. I think it sorta worked well…

• 19 hazel // Jul 16, 2015 at 4:30 pm

looking to see if I could get thisproduct and came across these comments ,neither wonder it is fantastic europian or uk.
    can someone please tell me where i could get the product been struggled with all other rubish for my floor which cannot have polish ,but this makes it as if it had been polished, love it so much .PLEASE

• 20 Scott // Jul 24, 2015 at 6:56 am

As someone who owned a carpet cleaning company these types of cleaners were the products of last resort when cleaning because of the horrendous abrasive qualities of the sawdust. That being said, whenever I had a wool rug (bleeder with waterbased cleaners, even dry foam, and also shrinkage issues) that also had a rubber backing (the backing would be damaged with a solvent cleaning) these products were the only ones that could be used.

• 21 Car Collector Chronicles // Aug 5, 2015 at 11:21 am

I was a firm believer in, and loyal user of, Glamorene back in the 1960’s, when it was available in the sawdust format. Have to say, it did work well and would still use it if I could find it anywhere!