Amusing Brand: Glamorene Rug, Upholstery Cleaner

November 3rd, 2010 · 15 Comments

Glamorene was once a top upholstery cleaner; it has since disappeared from American shelves. Such an amusing name. Pictured here, a can from the 1970s or so.

Glamorene was originally made by the company Jerclaydon, a company owned by three brothers named Sheldon, Clayton and Jerold Hulsh. Time magazine has a great article from the 1950s on its testing by Reader’s Digest; apparently it was a “compound of cellulose fiber (resembling sawdust) and various cleaning agents which can be rubbed into a rug, then brushed out bringing the dirt with it.”

Later, it was made by Airwick Industries of Carlstadt, New Jersey. At some time, it became part of Reckitt & Colman, the British company best known for Dettol. Apparently, Glamorene was sold, on order of Federal Trade Commission divestiture, to Joh. A. Benckiser GmbH of Germany.

In 1999, Britain’s Reckitt & Colman and Benckiser merged, becoming one of the world’s largest companies of cleaning brands.

Apparently, the brand was a bit more glamorous back in the 1950s, when it was new.

Tags: Soap

• 1 Howard // Nov 4, 2010 at 9:08 pm

Very interesting! And the link that you have for Glamorene’s past went to another website I subscribe to, Allie Willis.com Everything’s come full circle for me!!

• 2 billy // Mar 26, 2011 at 9:30 am

My mom and I just found one of the glass bottles! We had no idea what it was until we came on here and looked! WOWWWW!!! 1950!

• 3 beth // Jul 2, 2011 at 3:38 pm

im trying to find some glamorene.. or does anyone have something similiar?? email me :((

• 4 Mary C. Mills // Aug 25, 2011 at 2:30 am

I remember my Mom buying Glamorene in the 50′s & how amazingly it worked. Where can I buy some? I really miss it & I haven’t found anything that cleans as well as Glamorene did!

• 5 Pat Krimmel // Dec 28, 2011 at 7:32 pm

I have an item that may be of interest to someone associated with that company or someone who purchased that company – Glamourene. If someone can help with a contact – it could be fun!
    Thanks!
    Pat

• 6 waldo // Jan 17, 2012 at 9:55 pm

This product was frequently advertised on the old radio comedy “the couple next door”.

Episodes can be found at archive.org, and the advertising starts around episode 100

• 7 Karl Kress // Mar 16, 2012 at 5:51 pm

What happened to Glamorene SPRAY ‘N VAC RUG cleaner and deoderizer?

• 8 Karl Kress // Mar 16, 2012 at 5:53 pm

It was a fantastic product.

• 9 Dianne Crockett // May 23, 2012 at 11:46 am

Did anyone find out where we can buy Glamorine of a product that works as well?

• 10 Lady Ashmire // Aug 15, 2012 at 11:33 pm

Supposedly this is a very similar product: https://hostdry.alice.com/

Anyone know if it’s also good on upholstery? I don’t have carpets in my home but I do have a couch that never looks clean.

• 11 Victoria Hulsh // Oct 14, 2012 at 8:38 am

Even today many are looking for Glamorene carpet cleaners that my father created. Not only does it work to clean, there was not water clean up , not shrinkage to wool carpets which would shrink away from their respected size!!

• 12 Denny Van Orman // Nov 7, 2012 at 9:01 am

In the infamous “50′s” my mother dated Mr Hulsh. Nice person.

• 13 Tim Eldridge // May 13, 2014 at 11:38 am

I actually have a can just like the one pictured in the article complete with yellow brush. It is in good condition. Anyone interested may email me at eldridgebilly@yahoo.com.

• 14 Paul Boothby // Jul 5, 2014 at 12:25 pm

I was a chemist at Winthrop Laboratories, Newcastle upon Tyne, England in the mid 1960′s, where one of the products I workwed on was Glamorene Carper Shampoo. I never saw it on sale in the UK

• 15 Kirk // Sep 10, 2014 at 12:53 pm

Hey all. I use a product called Host in my janitorial service that my customers tell me is very similar to Glamorene. Their web address is: hostdry.com
    Hope this helps,Kirk