Whatever Happened to Sea & Ski; Once the Nation’s Most Popular Suntan Brand

August 9th, 2009 · 87 Comments

Sea & Ski has apparently lost its tan, and no one knows where to find it.

Above, a groovy 1960s commercial for the suntan lotion; it was always the more youthful lotion compared to Coppertone, which had an “all-ages” family appeal.

I recall Sea & Ski from my summers in the 1970s in Virginia Beach; it was sold in the beach store at my grandfather’s restaurant, Duck-In, and when he closed the store, we used Sea & Ski for a very long time afterward. It had iconic dollar green packaging with sans serif “Sea & Ski” logo.

A search for it online and in local stores shows it is available nowhere. That’s unfortunate because it even appeared in a second season Mad Men episode; two reps from the company pitch the brand for As the World Turns.

It’s a cautionary tale of what can happen to a great brand that is mismanaged and strays from its core. Within a few decades, something worth millions is suddenly worth little, and largely disappears from the shelves.

The trademark is still alive. Their United States registration was renewed this April 2009, registered by Sea and Ski Delaware, Inc., registered at 8900 S.W. 107th Avenue, Suite 301 Miami FL 33176. The last listed owner was Faulding Healthcare IP Holdings, Inc. of 1845 Elm Hill Pike, Nashville, TN, attorney Daniel Zendel.

A bit of history.

Sea & Ski has been owned by a succession of owners. It was apparently invented by Charles Rolley, who lived in Reno and had quite a colorful life, Time calling him a “kinetic promoter.” Rolley sold it to Botany Industries in 1955. Time magazine said in 1961 that it was the “nation’s biggest maker of suntan lotion (its dollar-green Sea and Ski grosses some $12 million a year).”

Even then, the dollar green packaging was well-known. It sold out in the late 1960s to Smith-Kline Pharmaceuticals. The brand was owned by Carter-Wallace (they of the condoms and Carter’s Liver Pills) until 1988, when it was purchased by Faberge. It then was involved in a series of messy lawsuits, all so complex as to give this brand columnist a headache.

Faulding Consumer, part of Mayne Nickless Ltd, was an old Australian pharmaceutical company; they purchased Sea & Ski in 2000 to go along with their other brand, Banana Boat. In 2002, Faulding Consumer hired Chris Evert to re-introduce the brand to consumers and moms. Apparently, it didn’t work as planned. In 2003, the brand was sold to Pathfinder Management Inc. It has been disappearing since.

If they bring it back, talk to us and we can tell them how to do it right. We even know of a graphic designer who can come up with the right feel. We are surprised that they don’t even have a simple website to indicate the fate of the brand; that would take someone just a few hours and would help keep the trademark viable.

Whatever they do, whoever does it, they need to start with that green packaging.

Tomorrow: The BrandlandUSA list of the TOP 7 Suntan Brands

Sea & Ski Brand Resurfaces, Sort Of

Tags: Health and Beauty

• 1 Bill T. Jr. // Aug 10, 2009 at 2:12 pm

Sea and Ski had a very unique fragrance. If blindfolded, I could pick it out of all today’s suntan lotions. Till this day when I think of Sea and Ski I think of going to the shore in my earlier years as a child. I wish they would bring this product back with the original green packaging. Properly marketed, nostalgia can be very profitable.

• 2 crissy // Aug 11, 2009 at 9:01 am

Love the sea and ski for faces – has this stuff in it – astazathin – great! Please make more!

• 3 Garland Pollard // Aug 11, 2009 at 12:36 pm

Our reader tells us that it can be found on Amazon, though difficult to locate elsewhere. For you Sea & Ski fans, good luck!

• 4 Bill T. Jr. // Aug 11, 2009 at 4:32 pm

I recall seeing the updated Sea and Ski product at a local drugstore a few years back. I was first struck by the packaging which was very different. I frantically opened every tube of lotion on the shelf and noted the fragrance. I anticipated being swept inside a personal time machine…but nostalgia suddenly flatlined. No Sea-gar. “When nothing else subsists from the past, after the people are dead, after the things are broken and scattered· the smell and taste of things remain poised a long time, like souls· bearing resiliently, on tiny and almost impalpable drops of their essence, the immense edifice of memory” -”The Remembrance of Things Past” Marcel Proust

• 5 Bart // Sep 15, 2009 at 8:33 am

My family moved to Sarasota, Florida, in 1951 and Sea and Ski was the favored lotion for us teenagers. Coppertone had a strange smell and was not as popular.

If I had not read about its green packaging here, though, I would have sworn it was red and white. Am I losing it?

• 6 Kathy Ruvolo // Nov 4, 2009 at 5:58 pm

I found Sea and Ski sunscreen at a small shop while traveling in Myrtle Beach S.C. I live in California and was so excited to find this again! Bring it back – I think people who grew up in the 1960′s and 1970′s would be thrilled to see this on the shelves!!

• 7 Kathy Ruvolo // Nov 4, 2009 at 5:59 pm

By the way, the two bottles of Sea and Ski I purchased expired in 2007!!!

• 8 Melted Ice // Nov 20, 2009 at 11:27 am

Pathfinder maintains a website:

• 9 Melted Ice // Nov 20, 2009 at 11:31 am

The official site doesn’t load, but utilizing the “cached” feature on Google, I did get some contact info:

Radiant Technologies, Inc.
    145 Elm Hill Pike
    Nashville,TN US 37210
    emartinez@pathfinder-management.com
    +1.6158721700

• 10 Ginny Milz // Apr 19, 2010 at 7:17 pm

kathy ruvolo. I’m from Myrtle beach and have looked everywhere for the face foam stuff made by them. You don’t happen to remember what store it was where you found it do you??? Please let me know!! that would be so awesome! thanks!!!

• 11 alissa // May 7, 2010 at 1:03 am

Can’t find it anywhere!! Oh the smell… NO ONE can duplicate it. It always brings such greatt memories to mind. BRING IT BACK…. PRETTY PLEASE!!!

• 12 Cathy // May 18, 2010 at 1:59 pm

I had forgotten all about this until I bought Avon’s Face Perfector – as soon as I smelled the AFP I was immediately transported to summer on the beach 40 years ago. Couldn’t figure it out but just wanted inhale the stuff all day! Sea N Ski popped into my head and I’m with you all here that want to find it. I don’t even care how good it is for sun protection – I’d use it for aromatherapy!

• 13 Walt Smith // May 27, 2010 at 6:53 pm

There is and nothing so far that even comes close . the smell , the protection and to put it on after to stop or soothe a sunburn . PLEASE bring it back

• 14 Cindy Pridham // Jun 3, 2010 at 6:34 am

I live in Barrie, Ontario canada L4N 9M1 and I am looking for Sea & Ski Sunless Tanning Lotion. I found some in the Canadian Tire store in Barrie and bought 8 tubes of it. I told all my friends about it and love it. We are all down to our last of it. Where can I purchase it in Barrie?
    Thanking you for your time and prompt response.

• 15 Matt // Jun 3, 2010 at 7:35 pm

Not only was the tanning lotion great, but I kept buying the lime flovored lip protector until it dissapeared from the shelves! We need this product back, and soon!!

• 16 Suzan Burton // Jun 8, 2010 at 10:14 pm

I agree wholeheartedly!!!!! If Pathfinder Management has any interest in making money, they could easily make a fortune putting the exact green product back on the shelves. When it began to disappear I felt so helpless!!!!! WHY!!!!!
    There are very few products that I buy consistently; Sea & Ski was one of them. Bring it back!!!!!!!!

• 17 Barbara, NJ // Jun 23, 2010 at 12:39 am

Yes, bring back the original Sea & Ski. I used to vacation in Avalon, NJ and StoneHarbor, NJ. When I was a child, I remember that green bottle. Wasn’t there orange on there too? And the writing was in white?

And oh, the smell, yes, it was wonderful. I would remember it if I had the bottle in my hands.

Like the original Tretorn sneakers I wore (which they don’t manufacture LIKE the originals) I miss the quality, classics.

The contact info for the manufacturer is above. Has anyone called?

• 18 terri // Jun 30, 2010 at 4:04 pm

Sea & Ski, Coppoertone, and Bain de Soleil, the 3 suntan lotions I can remember as a kid, and I really miss Sea & Ski!

• 19 Robert // Jul 26, 2010 at 6:51 pm

Sea & Ski suntan lotion was always my favorite! I loved its green plastic container with the orance cap and red lettering. The lotion, itself, was a pretty shade of green. On the Atlantic City boardwalk, I always loved the neon billboard sign thet depicted the lotion coming out of the green container. It sure looked beautiful when illuminated at night! I REALLY WISH that this product would return to the shelves! Does anybody know where I can purchase a nostalgic plastic green Sea & Ski bottle??????????

• 20 Sue // Aug 2, 2010 at 11:52 am

On vacation, I found some left over tubes of SPF 30 lip balm in an outlet store and bought a handful. Since then, I have found nothing to replace them that works as good or as long as Sea & Ski brand. Would love to find some more. Would love to see the brand come back for some of their other products as well. (I remember my first aloe cooling application after the beach)

• 21 Kimberly Reed // Nov 21, 2010 at 6:18 pm

I bought some from a SUNWARE store in Ft Lauderdale in 2006 or 7? I think I saw some in a store in 2009 in Ft Lauderdale…down the street from the Pelican Grande Beach resort. I hope they bring it back…the scent was unique to the brand…I reminded me of the beach…memories. BRING IT BACK? CAn we get it somewhere yet?…Kimber

• 22 Kimberly Reed // Nov 21, 2010 at 6:56 pm

I just went on EBAY…and bought the last bottle for 5 bucks…shipped to me..a dark tanning oil by Sea and Ski today 11/21/10. Shop around ya might find some….more…Kim

• 23 Kimberly Reed // Nov 21, 2010 at 7:11 pm

Find some at

1-800-472-7600 to order!

• 24 dawn // Feb 18, 2011 at 2:03 pm

Have been looking for Sea & Ski forever. Found some at a marina in Las Vegas a couple of years ago. Should have bought it all. We should get together and contact the Faulding Healthcare people and see if we cannot get them to resurrect this product. The smell alone would be worth the trouble. It is the scent of my youth. Someone could make a fortune.

• 25 Joel Charles Rolley // Mar 4, 2011 at 12:57 pm

I was surprised to see people comment on Sea and Ski, particularly the scent. My great granfather was Charles Rolley, his father was a barber and Grandpa Charlie would play with the fragrances. I still have a bottle that says Rolley Co. on it, (I don’t think I would use it now, but for sentimental purposes). Thanks for the kind words.

Joel Charles Rolley
    LCDR USN

• 26 Greg // Mar 29, 2011 at 7:19 pm

My high school summers (’66-’70) were spent in San Diego – particularly Ocean Beach. We were from Phoenix and loved the dark tanning oil combined with the Sea and Ski “Girl Watchers” wrap-around sunglasses! man we thought we were cool!! hahahaha I’m still trying to find some of those sunglasses to purchase for nostalgia. Sea and Ski was always stocked in my house when we lived in Phoenix, wish it would come back … along with those sunglasses!! :-)

• 27 Betty // Apr 25, 2011 at 11:58 am

It is the one thing I associate with outstanding summers on Clear Lake. Its protection was No.1. I can’t remember any of us, and there were quite a few, ever getting a sun burn. We spent hours in the water and on the water. You could always find a bottle in the tackle box, or in the console of the boat.

• 28 Betty // Apr 25, 2011 at 12:11 pm

Outstanding summers on Clear Lake, on the water and in the water is where you could find us. It is also where you found Sea & Ski. Its protection was No.1., always.

• 29 Sarah // Apr 30, 2011 at 11:11 am

Like everyone else I just remember that distinctive wonderful smell. Trying to find some. Did not know you could no longer buy it. What a shame.

• 30 sun goddess « the chelsea chronicles // May 2, 2011 at 6:39 pm

[...] When we were little, my mom was putting sunscreen on us (I can still envision the bottles of Sea & Ski) in the 70s before it was vogue to do such a thing. We even had our noses routinely painted with a [...]

• 31 Louise NH // May 7, 2011 at 2:24 pm

You can get the smell at Yankee Candle. It’s called “Sun & Sand.”
    So good to smell it again! My very early childhood– it was part of our lives–my sisters and parents in Nantucket.

• 32 Terry // May 14, 2011 at 12:17 pm

Wow, what memories of that wonderful smell. My mom use to take us to Ocean City, Md. to the beach and that was all that we used. I associate that smell with my memories of a child in the sand building sand castles. I try telling my daughter about it but now I will try the candle and see if it helps to convey the memory. Always had a great tan too!

• 33 Jane Remm // May 15, 2011 at 4:45 pm

We have been looking for Sea and Ski for years. Bring it back — if you put it on a WalMart shelf or another nationwide discount store, it would soar to the top again. I miss the smell the most. It smells so clean, you just know it is doing a good job on your skin. You are missing the boat; you can’t sit on it until everyone that loved it is dead. We want our children and grand children to use it.

• 34 Renee Froumy // May 24, 2011 at 8:30 am

Sea & Ski, Where have you gone? Not only was your sent uplifting you were amazing. I really need you now where can I find you? The other brands are just not the same no matter how hard they try they just can’t com pair with you. Now is the time to make your come back. I know you’ll clear the shelves and be the #1 that you already are.

• 35 Benny // May 27, 2011 at 10:02 am

I got into Sea N’ Ski in the late 80′s when they came out with the “waterproof” version and that is what I REALLY liked because it was such a clear, light, dry lotion (if that’s what you’d call it) totally non-greasy, fairly sweatproof and very affordable. It was simply a clear bottle with a blue cap and lettering, nothing outstanding about the fragrance, but loved it as was. Bring er’ back!

• 36 Neva // May 28, 2011 at 6:36 pm

Bring Sea & Ski back. I love it and so does my 16 yr old granddaughter Used it all the time in Fla. Found some at the beaches in Tx. to, until last year.

• 37 chad // Jun 9, 2011 at 1:20 pm

I love the mousse I had a few years back. I did find some in panama city at nothing over a dollar but it expired in 2006. Sure wish they would bring it back because I never got burned with the mousse.

• 38 Esther // Jun 16, 2011 at 8:46 am

PLEASE bring back Sea & Ski. It is the best

• 39 Marianne // Jun 19, 2011 at 9:00 am

Sea & Ski is the BEST Smelling suntan lotion EVER!!! Memories of going to the beach as a kid. If it came back I would buy it in a heartbeat. LOVE IT! LOVE IT! LOVE IT!

• 40 Suzanne // Jun 26, 2011 at 8:06 pm

Sea & Ski was the BEST suntan lotion ever!! It came in various levels of protection, and one could graduate down in spf as you increased your base! It was a quality product, and the great fragrance was a bonus! Or, you could choose fragrance free, the product was excellent!! Would love to have it back!! Miss it so much! Just finished my last bottle!! Hopefully, somone will bring it back…in its original formula, with or without fragrance!!

• 41 Zoey // Jun 29, 2011 at 4:21 pm

Okay, so how do we reproduce it? Are all you folks willing to chip in seed money to buy the formula? Who owns the patent, trademark on Sea & Ski? Hey, I’m willing to invest! Best darned scent of ANY suntan product on the market then and now.

• 42 gary // Jul 26, 2011 at 3:17 am

sea @ ski lip balm kicks @ss ,where are you.

• 43 Pete K. // Jul 30, 2011 at 7:45 am

Sea & Ski is now owned by the Stephan Company, a firm that buys up old brands, sells the remaining dead stock and discontinues brands. Just at what they’ve done to Frances Denney!

• 44 Kris/California // Aug 3, 2011 at 5:11 pm

I beg of who ever is in control to please please bring it back. My dermatologist recommends it. I was able to find some on line a few years ago and bought all they had. We are a family that sails all year long and ski races competitively. Nothing else compares seriously.

• 45 Suzy/California // Aug 10, 2011 at 11:09 pm

The all day spf 30 foam was the very best, never to be duplicated. Have searched every website but to no avail. Never burned after spending 5 hours in the Maui sun. Wish someone was listening to us!!

• 46 Gina-Marie RolleyRenault // Aug 15, 2011 at 5:44 pm

Hi Everyone, I am the grand-daugter of Charles Rolley. I can’t believe after all these years my grandfathers’ sun tan lotion is still on the market. It brings back so many good memories, yes it was an excellent suntan lotion. I remember my Dad Irwin Rolley had boxes of sun tan lotion at home; he used to bath me in lotion to protect me from the sun, those days at the beach, Coyote Beach in San Francisco, California.

My grandfather lived in Atherton, Calif. He was great!! Yes, I remember there were different colors and presentations to the bottle. It was too bad he didn’t keep the company. I hope this product stays for a very long time in memory to my beloved grandfather.

….Oh yes Joel it was great to see a comment from a family member,you were a baby the last time I saw you. Send My love to the family. Your aunt all the way from Costa Rica….Gina-Marie.

Sea & Ski keep the legacy alive….. Any further info about C.A Rolley and Sea & Ski please write back……

• 47 Chris G // Aug 15, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I’m with Marianne, I LOVE the smell. I found a tube of Sea & Ski at a little convenience store at South Lake Tahoe in 2007, it still had the same smell but it was not as strong.

Gina-Marie I live close to where your grandfather lived, I’m in Redwood City.

• 48 Judy Swain // Aug 21, 2011 at 12:32 pm

I want my Sea & Ski. Please bring it back. I look every year in every place. PLEASE . . I want myh Sea & Ski again!!!!

• 49 jennifer // Sep 2, 2011 at 10:24 am

I wasn’t born until 82 but I have EXTREMELY sensitive skin. Not only to the sun but chemicals. I discovered sea and ski sport about 16 years ago. It was and still is the ONLY product that works for me. Other lotions cause.a reaction to my skin and I get red and a horrible burning sensation. When we started noticing it.not.on the shelves I went.on eBay and bought 20 bottles of it. They are expired now but I keep them in my fridge in an effort to keep them a little longer. My best friend even has a stock pile for me too. I’m still looking for a replacement but nothing! I recently had a daughter and she seems to have my same sensitive skin. We need this product back!!!!

• 50 Traci / CT // Sep 29, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I found an old green empty bottle of Ski & Sea a few weeks ago while cleaning up our shoreline..after Storm Irene. Can’t say I rmbr the smell, but it certainly brought back memories of being on the beach as a kid in the late 70′s. I saved the bottle ofcourse.

• 51 Joanna // Oct 10, 2011 at 8:09 am

I still have an empty tube of Sea & Ski, I have looked everywhere…stores, the web. I would be very pleased to see it back on the shelves again. Best sunblock ever, I used 50 UVA. I wonder if its the astaZANTHIN ingredient in it that mad it so good?

• 52 Bud // Dec 7, 2011 at 11:14 am

Found two tubes at an estate sale, still works great. If anyone knows where and how to find more please contact me !!!! Sea & Ski rocks

• 53 Aspen Ski Bum (former) // Mar 12, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Bummed in Aspen in the late 60′s Sea & Ski seemed to be used by everyone. It was often said that in the spring (under the lifts) it was strewn with Sea & Ski lip balm containers…and as others have mentioned, it had a fragrance of its own. Hmmm, wonder what ever happened to my old girlfriend!

• 54 marian rosellini // Apr 14, 2012 at 2:00 pm

I have a tube mf tanfastic and the i think its the batch #4561 if u mighb interested its in good shape give me a call @41044070741 thanks MAW

• 55 Cathy Rolley // May 13, 2012 at 8:07 pm

I’m the granddaughter of Charles Rolley, the inventor of Sea & Ski suntan lotion. Thanks to all of you for all your kind words about his lotion. It brought back memories. I still have one of the original bottles, but it’s empty.

Hi, to Joel (my nephew) and Gina Marie (half-sister). How are you doing, Gina?

I agree the scent was great!

• 56 Allison Zuber // Jun 9, 2012 at 8:53 am

I had a Sea and Ski Mousse I loooved so much that was water proof, it went on better than anything I have ever had, I would love to see that back on the shelves again. I hope this gets resurrected soon. Great memories from childhood

• 57 Charles Rolley // Jun 28, 2012 at 8:43 am

I also remember Sea & Ski. My Great Uncle was Charles A Rolley. My father was Charles Irwin Rolley. My grandfather was Paul Edward Rolley.
    I would like Joel, Gina Marie and Cathy to contact me.

• 58 Cindy Cara // Jul 10, 2012 at 6:00 pm

Anyone who manufactures Sea and Ski with the original scent will make a fortune! All our memories will return! That is worth a lot! I knew it worked, but I didn’t know why….I am a late 50′s early 60′s Cali gal from St. Helena. So nice to hear about the family! Please bring it back!

• 59 Bruce // Jul 16, 2012 at 8:28 pm

They were sellign it in Canada as late as 2006. It had zinc in it, was a great product

• 60 Jan // Jul 20, 2012 at 10:09 am

Every year my sister and I search the Internet, hoping we’ll find Sea & Ski. We found some several years ago but not since. It looks to me like there is definitely a following. If we loved it this much (and we did), this generation would too!

• 61 John // Jul 22, 2012 at 7:19 am

I have just struck gold. I was clearing out my late fathers golf equipment, and discovered a full bottle of Sea & Ski that he had carried in his bag. We were avid water skiers back in the late 50′s and 60′s, so us kids were constantly slathered with this. I opened the cap, and one little sniff just took me back. I hope someone brings it back…

• 62 Garland Pollard // Jul 22, 2012 at 1:32 pm

keep it around! someone might need it if the formula ever comes back so we can match the smell with the true

• 63 Natalie Nasatka // Jul 23, 2012 at 12:10 pm

my Husband and I were just talking about Sea and Ski.the one we always used was a brown jar with orange or yellow lettering. Oh, that smell!!!! we used it the summer of 1980. what memories!

• 64 Dan Bryant // Aug 1, 2012 at 8:25 am

Sea and Ski reminds me of happy days on the beach. I love how it smells! Is there a chance they would bring Sea and Ski back to the shelves?

• 65 Helene // Aug 4, 2012 at 7:43 pm

Our family used S & S until discontinued. About 15 years ago, my sister was in a large store and was buying copper tone. At the counter was a salesman and he overheard my sister ask the clerk why no more Sea & Ski. The gentleman told her he was selling copper tone and that New Jersey & Oregon were the only 2 states wher S & S outsold Coppertone. Please bring back green bottled, original scent!

• 66 Gina Rolley // Aug 15, 2012 at 11:56 am

Hello Cathy and Charles, My God so nice to hear from my family many many years have gone by, I still live in Costa Rica with my grown daughters Gianina and Nicole, Renee lives in Florida with her two sons Julio and Cristopher. My Mom Adele past away a few years ago. Is Charlote still alive??? How is Tony, Dennis and David doing??? I miss the old days, I would love to have a family reunion to see my family again, and also meet the rest of my family members that I don’t know. By the way Sea&Ski would be a hit here in Costa Rica the tropical weather would love it!!!! PLEASE GET BACK TO ME,,, HUGS, Gina Marie….

• 67 Faith Warren // Aug 22, 2012 at 8:24 pm

I loved Sea & Ski in the 70′s and 80′s as well. I could find it on the West coast but never the East and as the years went by couldn’t find it anywhere! The smell was so clean and refreshing! It amazing that a product with so many followers is no longer available.

• 68 Chris Green // Sep 2, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I too remember, loved and miss my Sea and Ski lotion. I would have driven miles to get my hands on the original lotion. It was all I ever used for my face moisturizer as well. Please if it is possible to bring it back with the original scent you have a customer for life.

• 69 Andrea // Sep 11, 2012 at 10:12 pm

I absolutely loved the smell is Ski & Ski! I have been looking off & on for years at different stores hoping to find it again. The smell brings back
    many great summer memories!!

• 70 Scott // Nov 19, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Wow- there are a lot of fans of this old product which have really been created through the scent it had.

Can anyone please describe what the original scent smelled like? I own a sunscreen company and am very interested in what kind of smells create such strong feelings and bring back such great vivid memories like everyone has described!

Any feedback will be GREATLY appreciated and could see us bringing out a similar product!

• 71 Garland Pollard // Nov 22, 2012 at 5:11 pm

It was definitely not like the coppertone type smell but I can’t put it into words sadly

• 72 John // Dec 2, 2012 at 10:58 pm

The 1960s 70s Sea & Ski had a certain distinctive image: cool, “the In Crowd”, somewhat upscale (think boating, yachting, skiing). The smell was fresh and invigorating, the packaging and lettering was a indicative of sporty action. I liked the product and bought it many times. Wish I had saved a few of them. The new, repackaged 2009 version of Sea & Ski is in no way anything like the original. The new one looks like a cheap, discount brand of petroleum jelly. I will never understand why companies pick up the rights to market a classic brand and then ruin it by making it cheap and completely unrecognizable! If you bring back a classic brand to market then do some research and bring it back with the same package and lettering as when it was a huge success and consumers will happily buy it again. I’ve spent twenty five years studying consumerism and package design. That along with the current trend for original appearing vintage 1960s everything and is what companies should pay attention to and market it like that once again. Perhaps the concept is so easy to understand that companies don’t understand it LOL!

• 73 Bad Lieutenant // Dec 28, 2012 at 5:38 pm

My buddy and I vistited San Diego beaches every summer flying in from Phoenix. There were the years between ’67-’70. Needless to say, we were both athletes, blonde, blue-eyed and thanks to Sea and Ski, bronzed to the max! I also added a pair of blue, wrap-around ‘girl watcher’ sunglasses to the tanned face and lost my virginity on Ocean beach because she loved the sunglasses with the tan!! Hahahahaha boy we thought we were hot! Now at 60, I could only find one pair of new condition ‘girl watchers’ about 2 years ago and purchased them. They are a gold color I hadn’t seen very often … and searching the web, you can’t find anything about these particular colored ‘girl watchers’. If anyopne can shed slome light where I could go on-line to research these, I’d most appreciate it! I searched for hours in many search engines and eBay, … even Worthpoint, but none for sale currently. The ones I have are near pristine, no box or blister card, … but are wrapped up in bubble-wrap for the right person desiring to add these to their collection.
    I wanted to find the blue ones I had as a kid, but for collector value, I’ll go with these gold pair as the ‘girl watchers’ are near extinct! :-)
    If you are interested, get in touch with me via my e-mail supplied here, I will send you .jpegs. $100 US Postal Money Order buys them. I’ve enjoyed them, time for someone else to remember those good times on the beaches or slopes sporting these ‘space age’ looking sunglasses!
    -BL

• 74 Garland Pollard // Dec 29, 2012 at 6:18 pm

this cracks me up Bad Lieutenant..ahh summer memories..

• 75 Merrill Zulueta // Jan 2, 2013 at 8:03 pm

Hi Bad Lieutenant – are you still willing to sell the “Girl Watchers” beachglasses? I’ve been looking for those pair since forever. My email is mzulueta@mac.com

Thank you!

• 76 Ren // Feb 7, 2013 at 12:28 pm

Hello Bad Lieutenant:

Are you still out there?
    I was intersted in those glasses.
    Please contact me:
    rcr3@sonic.net

• 77 Merrill Zulueta // Feb 11, 2013 at 5:37 pm

Hello all!

Does anyone have the Bengal Glancers and/or Girl Watchers they are willing to part with? I will pay ANYTHING for either, in any condition.

Girl Watchers, not to be confused with Boy Watchers, look like the Bengal Glancers without the jewel in the center.

Seems like this is the only forum besides eBay and Esty where I can try to reach out to other members who may have those glasses.

Thanks!!
    Merrill
    mzulueta@mac.com

• 78 Angela // Apr 29, 2013 at 5:52 pm

Yes, I want Sea & Ski back on the shelf. I completely remember how it smells, if you can believe that. I agree nostalgia packaging and a good product is worth it. Good luck I hope to see it in the store again someday.

• 79 David // May 4, 2013 at 8:00 am

I was in high school in Atlanta in the late 1960′s (who can forget the Summer of Love, 1967!). Sea & Ski Dark Tanning Oil (dark chocolate brown in white lettering with a gold cap) was what I used every year. I miss the famous 1967 radio commercial Sea & Ski had that used the music, “Girl Talk”, as their theme song. What fantastic memories!! Sea & Ski was the best!

• 80 Jamie // May 27, 2013 at 8:40 am

I remember going to the local pool and seeing and using Sea and Ski lotion…. brings back good memories… but almost everything I like has been discontinued……Huh

• 81 Cathy Rolley // Aug 18, 2013 at 2:15 pm

Hi Gina Marie and Charles Rolley. I would love to hear from you. Please call me at 510 258 4035. No computer now.

Love Cathy

• 82 Sharon // May 22, 2014 at 2:35 pm

Just came across this page while I was doing research on a vintage bottle of sea and ski tanning cream. It is in a glass bottle, 2 fl ozs, with a black twist cap. The label is in a blue teal and white. And has a patent no168390 on the bottle.
    Would like t sell but don’t know the value :-(

• 83 Debi // May 25, 2014 at 3:18 pm

Sorry Scott there are no words to describe the sent. But I will never forget it. I’ve no found anything remotely close.

• 84 Russell Ames // Jun 10, 2014 at 1:16 pm

This was a great product and I agree with all the people’s comments about bringing it back….you will make millions and what about the classic cologne called “Jade East” ? Something for you entrepreneurs to think about….Mmmmmmm..

• 85 Bree // Jun 12, 2014 at 3:32 pm

One word describes Sea and Ski….SUMMER!!! Back in the late 60′s Dad would be hooking up the boat trailer,while Mom would pack us a picnic.My three brothers would help dad get the boat ready and I, well my job was to grab the Sea and Ski. I would have it open on my way out of the house just to smell that WONDERFUL scent! Nothing could or has since, ever come close. It had Coppertone beat hands down.We were a family of 6 and us 4 kids used it all summer long and then some so you can imagine the number of bottles we always had in the house, boat, Dad’s tackle box, the shelf in the linen closet and not to mention my own personal stash hidden in my room! (what can I say, we were a big family and I did not want to run out of it!…this girl liked her tan!) In 2000 our mother suddenly passed at only 63. My youngest brother and I had the task of clearing out the family home. We both cried a lot that first week. Neither of us felt as if we would ever smile again. Then one day I began to clear the linen closet and there it was, way in the back on the shelf a bottle of Sea and Ski. The wide flat hairbrush white with blue stripes(packaged with the lotion one year as a freebe) sitting next to it. I opened it and that wonderful smell of happy summers filled the air, surrounding us with comfort and believe it or not, smiles. We sat on the floor in that hallway for a few hours talking about summers and even laughing over the time we ate ketchup sandwiches on the boat because someone forgot to pack the lunchmeat! I said “I wonder if this is like the “pennies from Heaven” people talk about”. It must of been because we found bottles of Sea and Ski here and there over the next month when we felt pretty down as we continued the task of clearing the house. We felt as if Mom was trying to help us get through this in the only way she could from Heaven, by bringing us smiles and great memories when we’d find another bottle of Sea and Ski in a odd place. That first bottle we found along with the hairbrush sits in my china closet now, along with some other things I hold dear. There must be a way for some company to get the original formula and start making it again. The same bottle design, and MOST IMPORTANTLY the same ORIGINAL SCENT! Today, all lotions try to “keep up with the Jones’s” with these scents that smell like perfume counters in dept. stores that can be bad for those of us with allergies to heavy perfume scents. They should smell like Summer, like Sea and Ski.!! Come on companies…WAKE UP!!! Sea and Ski lovers would buy it today, it would be a staple in our households much like was back then. Would someone PLEASE listen to the people when we tell you what we would rather buy? It would sell for generations to come. Sea and Ski did not fail with the public…I agree with others that it was poor management and some wrong decisions, that failed the public. Someone should have the backbone to take the chance and bring the original Sea and Ski back to the masses! It just may surprise you. And to Charles Rolly, a big THANKYOU to you for developing the best suntan lotion ever made, one that has, and will always be a part us and our memories.

• 86 Bill T. Jr. // Jun 12, 2014 at 9:20 pm

It will be almost 5 years since I originally posted and started this Sea and Ski thread. I am amazed at how many people remember this fragrance all the way back to the 60s. As to the question of fragrance; it is like trying to describe the taste of a cola to someone only experienced in tasting traditional fruit flavors in which no blend of fruit flavors will taste like a cola. What is amazing is that no one has any interest in resurrecting the original package and fragrance. It is like knowing there is a winning power ball ticket out there and no one is claiming it!

• 87 patty // Aug 5, 2014 at 10:25 am

Im on my last drop of sea & ski which had expiration date of 12/03. I love it! Contains asta Zanthin vitamijn A, C, E &K. Smells good, feels good and makes me look younger. I am 62 now. Dont know if I found it in old beach gear or at the $ store. Have been looking for it again and wondered if company had changed name or if anyone had found anything comparable?