Classic Mattingly & Moore Bourbon

July 8th, 2009 · 6 Comments

Mattingly & MooreBourbon is one of the anti-fashion drinks, and Mattingly & Moore is one of those anti-fashion brands.

Rarely advertised and founded in 1876, it lives at liquor stores with an aging core audience and some devoted younger fans who find it hip.

From Bardstown, Kentucky, it resides in a land of classic bourbon brands like Old Forester, Kentucky Cavern, Colonel Lee and Evan Williams.

The bourbon is made by Heaven Hill Distilleries, which makes some great old brands including Old Fitzgerald, Evan Williams, Elijah Craig, Cabin Still, J.W. Dant, Echo Spring, J.T.S. Brown, T.W. Samuels, Kentucky Deluxe and Kentucky Supreme.

Try it.

Tags: Grocery

• 1 Olds33 // Jul 24, 2009 at 7:05 pm

Finally! I have scoured the Internet looking for some love for this bourbon, which is very little-known. I’m always up for trying new things in the whiskey/bourbon world. I discovered this little gem at my local pony keg sometime last year. An older man walked into the store, briskly grabbed this bottle, which was conveniently priced at $9.65/liter (tax included), and headed for the checkout counter.

I tried it, expecting grave results. What do you know? It really is “mild and mellow” as described on the label. Good quality, goes down easy. I don’t have a headache issue when I drink this neat or on the rocks. I now keep at least one bottle of this on hand.

They now have raised the price to a *whopping* $10.15 per liter.

Thanks Heaven Hill! And thanks to that older gentleman who inadvertently pointed me in the right direction. Try it!

• 2 B. Simpson // Oct 14, 2009 at 12:46 pm

many years ago…we would buy this liquor
    and put it in an empty Jack Daniels bottle

• 3 mark fleetwood // Apr 17, 2010 at 3:36 pm

to OLDS33 & BSimpson,

What states do you live? Have never seen M&M here in Ohio, or even northern KY,

• 4 Olds33 // Jul 4, 2011 at 8:15 pm

I live in Cincinnati, Ohio. I’ve only seen this brand at the Colerain Avenue Pony Keg and the Hyde Park Kroger. It’s definitely not a brand you can find anywhere.

• 5 A. Rodde // Dec 17, 2011 at 3:52 pm

I hope you can help me. I have a never opened or sealed bottle (Federal seal reads 358042462) of Mattingly & Moore, 86 proof 5yrs. old straight bourbon whiskey, bottled by Frankfort Distilling Co. Lawrenceburg, IN. 50 or 60 years old. IS IT SAFE TO DRINK OR BAKE WITH? — OR IS IT A COLLECTORS ITEM? Should I dump its contents and recycle the bottle?

Thanks much, hope you can answer my questions.

• 6 F Conway // Dec 24, 2012 at 10:55 am

I too have a 50 year old bottle of Mattingly & Moore 80 proof bottled by Frankfort Distilling Co, Lawrenceburg, IN. Came with an interesting story re its provenance (boosted from a delivery truck in San Francisco in 1962). Throwing caution to the winds, I cracked the deal and have been enjoying it; definitely lives up to its moniker, all the more so after all these years.