Goodbye To Postum and Derby Tamales

March 15th, 2009 · 222 Comments

By Digital Sandlapper

Kraft Foods and ConAgra Foods, like most mega-consumer products companies these days, have limited use for “niche” brands. These are brands with limited by loyal following, especially when tastes change over the years.

So it is sad to report that, despite years of survival as the “red-headed stepchild” of these companies’ pantry of brands, we must say farewell to two of the quirkier ones:

Kraft discontinues Postum beverage

Postum, the original product from C.W. Post, whose cereal company would grow over most of the 20th century into the huge General Foods before eventually being swallowed by Kraft, is history. This caffeine-free “roasted grain beverage” had a devoted following, as witnessed by frantic “help, I can’t find Postum anymore!” postings online (a sure sign that a product has been unceremoniously discontinued). Postum was discontinued in 2007, but its absence was not apparent to most until they ran out again. As proof that consumers feel ownership of brands, posts online express hurt and betrayal that “no notice was given” of its impending demise. Sort of like preparing for the death of an old friend?

Ironically, Kraft has given up on the surviving Post cereals, as well. They simply couldn’t tolerate being Number 3 (after Kellogg’s and General Mills) in such a competitive category, and threw in the towel by jettisoning the venerable brand to Ralcorp. Ralcorp, in another twist, is the shell of the once-proud Ralston-Purina. The pet foods now part of Nestle, and the cereals like Chex sold to General Mills, Ralcorp held on to the still lucrative store brand cereals – sort of the “Ralston” part of the business. Now, they have Post, a still strong brand. Expect the company to assume the more well-known Post name soon.

Goodbye to Derby Tamales

ConAgra answered a consumer’s inquiry on February 13, 2009 thusly (found via a search for “Derby tamales”):

“We are . . . sorry to inform you that we no longer produce Derby® Beef Tamales. As consumers’ preferences for products change, so do the varieties of our products. Only the products with the greatest consumer appeal remain on the store shelves over time. Unfortunately, this product did not have enough consumer interest for us to continue manufacturing it.”

Derby tamales came in a jar, and I have to admit, did not seem all that appealing. But it was the namesake of a company, Derby Foods Inc., more famous for another product that continues to survive: Peter Pan peanut butter. Derby Foods was bought by Swift & Co., the famous meat packing company, then always went with whichever conglomerate bought its successor, Hunt-Wesson Foods. (Hunt-Wesson’s owner, Norton Simon, merged with Swift’s owner, Esmark, years ago, and took Derby Foods grocery lines under its name.)

That Derby tamales survived this long is probably a small miracle given today’s companies’ desire to only keep the Number 1 or Number 2 brands (MAYBE Number 3-except Kraft, see Postum above) in any given category-as long as the category is a big one.

Postum and Derby seemingly had their categories all to themselves, but with a category like “canned tamales” or “coffee substitute”, their days were numbered. With their demise, these categories disappear, too.

Tags: Deathwatch · Grocery · News

• 1 PEGGY FROM GUNTER TX // Mar 21, 2009 at 5:18 pm

I CANNOT BELIEVE THEY ARE GONE. I love tamales and I am going to learn how to make them. Will have to be without the lard!!!! I aways had 2 or 3 jars on shelf. Put them in a pan with yellow hominy and cheddar cheese :heat untill piping hot. Was awesome dish. My brother in Nashville, Tn can not find Griffin’s Syrup. Needless to say I am 62 years and the only syrup that sticks to the waffle and does not soak into it. Lifebuoy soap red bar of soap kept chiggers off us when we kids. Thanks for this site.

• 2 jeff // Mar 26, 2009 at 8:11 am

found derby tamales at pblix in hermitage tn 37076

• 3 dig sandy // Mar 27, 2009 at 2:03 pm

Jeff, you may want to note the expiration date on the jar. According to the manufacturer, they no longer make it, and your jar may have been among the last remaining inventory of it in your local store. Just make sure it’s safe to eat, and enjoy your last bites of Derby tamales!

• 4 jeff // Mar 29, 2009 at 6:58 am

will check the date they just got the derby tamales in

• 5 jeff // Mar 29, 2009 at 7:04 am

Griffin’s: Original Syrup, 24 fl oz

its available @ wal mart

• 6 Anonymous // Mar 30, 2009 at 10:24 am

I miss Derby Tamales. I have looked at all local groceries and even a cople when I was in Florida. This news is very depressing. I have tried the canned tamales and they are not very appetizing.

• 7 Pat // Apr 5, 2009 at 9:37 am

I am having withdrawals. How do we get a movement going to bring back the tamales??

• 8 anne hash // Apr 6, 2009 at 3:08 pm

I love derby tamles. My husband and I like them
    for a snack at night. I also like them for lunch.
    They’re quick and easy, also delicious! Please
    start making them again. The ones in the can are
    gross! Thanks, anne

• 9 jeff // Apr 6, 2009 at 4:02 pm

Derby Tamales
    the date is 2010 good & fresh

• 10 Lynda // Apr 7, 2009 at 8:28 am

I’ve eaten Derby tamales all my life and I’m 58 years old, even have my 39 year old hooked on them. Please bring them back !!!

• 11 Kim // Apr 12, 2009 at 11:15 am

My whole family eats Derby Tamales. It seems that the ones that grew up on them will miss them the most! To bad all of the good things go away with time.

• 12 Mike // Apr 23, 2009 at 5:52 pm

Rat Bastards!

• 13 mike Illinois // May 8, 2009 at 7:21 pm

sad to hear this. I have enjoyed derby for many years. I have tried tamales from other places and they are always gritty.

• 14 Roni B. // May 11, 2009 at 10:59 am

bring back Derby tamales & get rid of the guys that voted to discontinue them…

• 15 Angry! // Jun 2, 2009 at 12:40 pm

The Return of the Derby Tamales would be in order!!!!!!!!!!!
    Fire all those marketing dudes who think they know best? All ya’d have to do is market these wonderful treats…don’t think younger folks know about them or have tried them, but if’n they did, they’d be HOOKED FOREVER!

• 16 Vic Minetola // Jun 3, 2009 at 5:20 pm

Well this really blows! Now I feel so stupid combing the grocery stores of the Detroit area for Derby tamales these past 2 months. I even hit the independent operators, one(Oak Ridge Market) as recently as today with no joy. I guess I’ll only have the memories, but at least I won’t have to fight my daughter(grown woman) anymore to see who gets to slurp up the sauce!

• 17 Jenny // Jun 10, 2009 at 7:12 pm

I wish that I could find Tamales in a jar. My parents have one sitting on the shelf and they can not bring themselves to open it even though the expiration date has neared.
    I was hoping to find them in a jar someplace for my dad. He is fighting cancer and nothing he says looks good to eat except those tamales. He loved them. I was just hoping to find some for father’s day.
    If anyone in WI knows of were to get some please let me know!!!

• 18 Bonnie // Jun 30, 2009 at 2:35 pm

I can’t imagine what idiot decided to discontinue the tamales in the glass jar. There are plenty more on the shelves in a can, but I have tried them all and I don’t like any of them. There must be another reason besides they were not a good seller. I just don’t accept that explanation. I don’t like any other kind of tamales except Derby. Please read these comments and listen to us!

• 19 Ed Searing // Jun 30, 2009 at 8:01 pm

I just found out that Derby will no longer make their tamales. 60 years of eating them and I can’t remember seeing any advertising for them in the last 30 years. I have one jar left on the shelf and I will be sad when I finish them off. Corporate people just don’t get it, on how to market this food, who eats it, or where to get it. Idiots.

• 20 K Bonds // Jul 25, 2009 at 11:02 pm

My friend is so sad that he can not find Derby beef tamales., so i found this website. When I tell him is going to be really sad. I have looked at every store I go to in any city. I have one jar left for him that expires in Nov. Please bring them back for him and all of the other Derby lovers.

• 21 Ron Bray // Jul 29, 2009 at 12:54 pm

I ca’t beleive they quit making Derby tamales in the jar. I eat one jar a week sometimes two! I wish they could come back.

• 22 Shirley Dotson // Jul 31, 2009 at 6:57 pm

I tried making my favorite recipe,
    “Tamale pie”today using a name brand in a can. We ate it but missed the flavor we used to enjoy and threw the leftovers out !!! The flavor we used to enjoy came in a jar “Derby “. Help ! Please bring back Derby tamales in a jar. I’ve been eating them since I was about 10 yrs old. I am now 74.

• 23 Judy // Aug 3, 2009 at 5:28 am

So this is why I hunt all over town in vain to find Derby Tamales. What IDIOTS to discontinue a great product. The canned stuff sucks.

• 24 Tracie // Aug 3, 2009 at 3:31 pm

If these stores would stock things a little better then maybe the derby tamales would still be there for us to buy them. I love these tamales the best , the other ones suck big time. Every time I went to buy them they were all gone. It’s hard for me to believe they did’nt sell well cause as a consumer , I bought them when they were on the shelf.

• 25 Gray Kemp // Aug 3, 2009 at 5:18 pm

We love the Derby Tamales. Any chance of bringing them back? We’ve tried the canned tamales but they don’t have the same taste. We’re having withdrawals. Please consider making them again. We would order by the case if we could.

• 26 Geri // Aug 3, 2009 at 7:04 pm

I have been looking for these tamales for over 5 months now. They just disappeared. Had I of known they were going of out business, I would have stocked up on them when I could. My husband as been nagging me for months about them. I havr checked every store around me for them. This is a sad day!!! What were they thinking????

• 27 mary lake // Aug 8, 2009 at 1:12 pm

The company who bought out the people who made derby tamalas needs their heads examined!!!!! All these consumers who have been looking for the tamales can’t be wrong. BRING THEM BACK !!!!!!!! They will always be our favorite.

• 28 mary // Aug 8, 2009 at 7:19 pm

Bring back Derby Tamales. It is the only brand we eat and enjoy.

• 29 mary // Aug 8, 2009 at 7:21 pm

Bring them back. We really like them!

• 30 taylor // Aug 10, 2009 at 3:13 am

I too have been looking everywhere for the Derby tamales in the jar. My husband, who has since passed away always loved them. I was introduced to them by him when we were dating. He continued to love them all his life. I wanted to stock up on them and eat a jar of themin memory of him

• 31 Linda // Aug 11, 2009 at 1:37 pm

I just found this website telling me why the Derby tamales that I’ve been longing for have vanished off the grocery shelves. I can’t believe the reason was because it was a slow marketing product, with all these fans of Derby tamales!!! I really want to be added to the list of people saying to bring them back. The hormel brand tastes like crap! Please make the Derby’s again.

• 32 gloria sharp // Aug 16, 2009 at 6:26 pm

i was raised on derby beef tamales i am 65 years old i order them by the case and i can’t beleive they are gone
    please bring them back. if you would spin some money advertising them and put them on the self people might try them they and would like them
    20 years to get texas heb to put them on the market. no luck they ordered several cases and sold them to me that was a good manager but all re not the same. maybe walmart would take them
    gloria sharp

• 33 pat // Aug 19, 2009 at 7:48 pm

I am sorry to find out that a favorite of our family as disapeared from the grocery shevles. Three member of our family have been seaching for theDerby tamales for serveral months only to find out that they are no more. Please bring them back. We lovedthem for a quick Sat. lunch and snack.

• 34 History of Grape Nuts Cereal | BrandlandUSA // Aug 21, 2009 at 8:42 pm

[...] early days, it was accompanied by his health tract, The Road to Wellville. Grape-Nuts came after Postum, a hot drink he [...]

• 35 june // Aug 24, 2009 at 4:29 pm

If another company name Postum under a different name, would you buy it?

• 36 Bobby Berry // Sep 7, 2009 at 3:46 pm

DERBY TAMALES – BRING THEM BACK!!!!!!!

• 37 Bob // Sep 8, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Bring back Derby Tamales period.

• 38 Judy // Sep 17, 2009 at 12:54 pm

I have looked in multiple states for Derby tamales. I am sick they can’t be bought again. They are the best! Perhaps we should try a petition to reinstate? Major mistake in my opinion to get rid of them. I wish I could buy the recipe and begin selling them again. Consumers want them and are discontinued – canned brands are awful – Derby Tamales rule!

• 39 Geri // Sep 18, 2009 at 12:51 pm

Please !!!!!!!!!!!!!!Bring back Derby Tamales.

• 40 Joel Z // Sep 20, 2009 at 3:13 pm

Just spent two days scouring several grocery stores in the Chicago area looking for Derby Tamales — then found this site espousing the demise of the venerable brand. Moved to the Pittsburgh area 20 years ago and seeing as the Derby brand tamales could not be found in that area, I would bring several jars back with each visit to the Chicago area (and I would also arrange for my son to bring some along when he would come to visit us in Pittsburgh). I’ve savored eating these epicurean delights for at least 60 years and unfortunately only have one jar remaining in my cupboard. None of the other “canned” brands come anywhere near measure up. What a revolting development!! You can bet I’ll be diligent with boycotting ConAgra, Esmark, Wesson or whichever conglomerate is responsible for sending Derby Tamales to an untimely death. At least White Castle Hamburgers are still around.

• 41 Bobbie J // Sep 22, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Stupid move on both Postum and Derby! So what if only a zillion people loved and used these products for more years that I want to admit to. Bring ‘em back!

• 42 E C Morgan // Sep 24, 2009 at 1:53 pm

Wish I had known that I was eating the last jar. Have been searching for several weeks, my worst tamale fears are now realized. I would have taken a photo of the last jar. Little hope at this late date of finding a stockpile.

I will really, really miss these. They were easy to heat up and tasted great with melted cheddar cheese on top. When I did not know what to eat batching it, these always came through.

What a shame.

• 43 Bob B. // Sep 24, 2009 at 2:06 pm

Please bring back Derby Tamales. We love them and miss them
    Rember Coke not making real Coke they brought that back with great success.

• 44 Jennie H // Sep 25, 2009 at 12:59 pm

Now I know why I couldn’t find my beloved Derby tamales. Too bad ConAgra decided to delete this great product. As others have stated, nothing else comes close to Derby Tamales. I may just quit making homemade chili as those canned things don’t deserve to be in the same bowl with my chili!
    Can we start a petition to bring back Derby?

• 45 Connie I. // Sep 27, 2009 at 11:03 am

When I went to my local grocer to pick up a few things, I noticed they were out of my tamales. In a panic, I complained, left to try another grocer. Still no luck. By this time I was very angry. Unless a person loves Derby Tamales like I do, the will never understand. If I had known about this very bad decision to stop Derby Tamales I would have stocked up big time. Very bad choice. But no matter where I go, I keep hoping the big people, wake up and bring back DERBY TAMALES. Many, many years ago when I was just starting out on my own, I would use the glass Derby jar for drinking glasses. Now I wish I would have kept them. A very angry and disappointed Derby Tamale lover.

• 46 Martha F // Sep 27, 2009 at 2:44 pm

Just spent the weekend searching in vain for Derby Tamales and then I saw the bad news on your website. Seems like I have spent my life eating Derby tamales. The Hormel brand can’t hold a candle to Derby. This seems to be the way that America is going – – – downhill.

• 47 kathy // Sep 27, 2009 at 3:21 pm

bring them back wow cant believe they r gone

• 48 wstevanus // Oct 4, 2009 at 6:01 pm

Please bring back Derby Tamales.

• 49 Aaron // Oct 6, 2009 at 11:06 am

Derby Tamales are the best, wish I can find a place that still sells them

• 50 Aaron // Oct 6, 2009 at 11:09 am

The hormel brand tastes like crap!

• 51 Aaron // Oct 6, 2009 at 11:10 am

Please bring back Derby Tamales

• 52 James // Oct 7, 2009 at 7:45 pm

I have been a fan of Derby Tamales since as far back as I can remember. Even though I live in Texas and there are many great tamale places in town, I always kept a jar around so that if I had the urge but didn’t want to go out, I could open a jar of Derby Tamales and satisfy my tamale fix. Please BRING BACK DERBY TAMALES!!! They tasted better than the canned junk!!!

• 53 Ann // Oct 12, 2009 at 11:17 pm

Bring back the Derby Hot Tamales!
    Is nothing sacred?
    What’s next….
    Deviled Ham and Mary Kitchen’s Roast Beef Hash?

• 54 Marjorie Berg // Oct 15, 2009 at 2:30 pm

I work for Jewel-Osco – no DERBY tamales.
    What an awful shame – NO other brand can compare. Can not believe they were a poor seller, something is rotten in Denmark

• 55 matty // Oct 15, 2009 at 4:16 pm

ARE YOU KIDDING ME! DAMN COMMUNIST!

• 56 Monica Stu // Oct 15, 2009 at 4:56 pm

If anyone has any old postum to sell.. I will take it. I have been drinking it since i was a kid with my granddad.. I am now 33. I’ve been looking for it for the past year and wondered where it went… it is the end of an era…. my daily postum was a way of memorializing my granddad every morning….

So, seriously… if anyone knows where there is stock.. please e-mail me

• 57 SANDY BUTLER // Oct 16, 2009 at 10:50 am

I like the others went on a quest looking for derby tamales and not finding them. and what a shame.Hormel can not compare, I rather do without. shame on you. bring them back. there are others who agree with me.

• 58 sharon // Oct 18, 2009 at 12:12 pm

how can they say there wasnt enough people eating the tamales with all the complaints on here and the derby website?? They were the best tamales ever and the hormel ones in the can..well they are disgusting and I put them down the garbage disposal!! Please bring back the derby hot tamales!!! A family favorite for generations!!!!

• 59 Carolyn // Oct 19, 2009 at 12:04 pm

Please, please bring back the Derby Hot Tamales! I have been searching and searching and no one tells me they have been discontinued!! What can we do to have you bring them back??? No body’s brand tastes as good as the Derbys!!!!

• 60 Diane // Oct 20, 2009 at 11:12 am

I miss my Derby Hot Tamales!!! I want them back. PLEASE

• 61 suzanne // Oct 25, 2009 at 1:15 pm

If they discontinued my tamales then sell someone the recipe and let someone else produce them on line if not in stores. I’m hooked and need my fix.no others compare.I have written a cookbook with my own recipes that are made with derby tamales just for the family.please helpbring them back. thanks

• 62 Diane Rodriguez // Oct 25, 2009 at 11:00 pm

I”m pissed!!!!!!!! I need my DERBY TAMALES!!!!!! Damnit I looked for them for so long and now you tell me they are discontinued!!!! BLAH TO YOU!

• 63 Althea // Oct 27, 2009 at 9:58 am

I just found out now that Derby is no longer. I ate my last jar last week. Bring them back, PLEASE. Canned tamales are terrible, frozen ones even worse.

• 64 Althea // Oct 27, 2009 at 10:00 am

PLEASE bring Derby Tamales back on the shelf.

• 65 Bob // Oct 31, 2009 at 7:16 am

I have eaten Derby tamales all my life…at least for 55 years. My local grocer was nice enough to tell me that they no longer could get them and that I should stock up. I did. I bought 10 jars. I now have one or two left. I used the left-over jars for holding/cleaning paint brushes…opening in jar was large enough and made it easy to soak/clean brushes. Do you think the manufacturer could send us the recipe for Derby tamales…better yet, start making them again. Thanks for a wonderful snack that was good any time of the day.
    Bob

• 66 Abbie // Nov 1, 2009 at 1:24 pm

Is there going to be anything to take the place of Postum? I cannot drink coffee so was just wondering.

• 67 Ryan // Nov 6, 2009 at 7:46 pm

Start producing the derby tamales again, Please!

• 68 Melissa // Nov 9, 2009 at 9:33 am

I knew it! I’d have found them if they still existed. I grew up with them too. My mom has been asking about them for over a year. I’m so upset. I wonder if the company would be willing to make special order batches. Maybe they could take advance orders and make a batch when they get enough money to justify it. What do you think?

• 69 Stephen // Nov 9, 2009 at 7:04 pm

My local Kroger couldn’t keep them stocked. I can’t believe they weren’t a good seller. Please bring them back the canned tamales do suck and smell like dog breath!

• 70 Bud // Nov 17, 2009 at 10:27 am

If they won’t sell Derby’s anymore then publish the recipe so those who miss them can make them.

• 71 Ernest Hayes // Dec 2, 2009 at 9:27 pm

I LOVE Derby tamales, I have been looking for them for over a year. last ones I found were in Indiana.
    My Dad would mail them tp me in Vietnam.
    I would buy them a case at q time

• 72 Sandy Chiles // Dec 6, 2009 at 5:19 pm

Whatever were they thinking when they took Derby Tamales off the shelves?? I love them and my husband and I have searched the grocery stores looking for them. All that is left is those canned ones – has anyone that works for your company ever been forced to eat one?? You would understand the sadness and disappointed that comes with the passing of Derby Tamales. I even tried the frozen ones – they are really bad, too. Don’t be a Grinch this Christmas – give us back our Derby Tamales…a great Christmas treat!!!

• 73 joel // Dec 11, 2009 at 2:48 pm

I to have been looking for derby tamales to no avail, they were never advertised but had a following. Wheather you like the canned ones or not,better grab them before they are gone. For absolutly no advertising they did well.

• 74 Jack D // Dec 22, 2009 at 12:34 pm

Derby Tamales has been a part of our family for many years. I can not believe they are no longer made. We even have Derby Tamale pillows from an advertizing push in the 70’s.

• 75 Derby lover // Dec 29, 2009 at 4:37 pm

I grew up eating Derby tamales, and have eaten them until this past summer, when my two local Dominicks stores here in Chicago stopped carrying them – or so I thought. I didn’t know until today that they were no longer made.
    I find it hard to beleive that they were not a good seller – they always disappeared from the shelves, and I certainly didn’t buy THAT many jars!
    I have tried some of the canned ones , and they are all disappointing except one – LaPreferida taste VERY similar to Derby. They don’t taste exactly the same, (maybe 90% similar?) but will be a good substitute until Derby comes back. Right? Right?
    I also grew up eating deviled ham and Mary Kitchen Corned and Roast beef Hashes. I’ll bet they won’t be around too much longer – regional brands are so “OUT” these days, in fact, national brands may be too passe. Now the companies need international brands, and the hell with America.

• 76 carole // Jan 1, 2010 at 5:57 pm

I TOO HAVE BEEN SEARCHING ALL GROCERY STORES FOR DERBY TAMALES!!!! THEY WERE THE BEST!! THE ONES IN THE CAN ARE NO COMPARISON. PLEEEAAASSSEEE BRING THEM BACK! I ALSO PUT A SLICE OF AMERICAN CHEESE ON THEM, YUM. I JUST MENTIONED TO MY HUSBAND TODAY, I SURE COULD GO FOR SOME OF THOSE TAMALES IN THE JAR! NOW I FIND OUT THEY QUIT MAKING THEM. NEW RESOLUTION FOR 2010—BRING THEM BACK!!!

• 77 Carolyn Harper // Jan 2, 2010 at 12:49 pm

I can’t believe I I’ll never have any Derby Tamales ever again. They were the best.

• 78 Mad as Heck // Jan 4, 2010 at 3:52 pm

That just stinks !!!

• 79 Splorg // Jan 5, 2010 at 1:53 pm

BY the way, don’t click on any of the hyperlinks(words in blue) in any of these comments. They don’t give you any more info, and are just time-wasting spam.

• 80 sharon // Jan 5, 2010 at 5:04 pm

The manager of a grocery store in our area called Price Cutters has been looking everywhere for the Derby Tamales – he said they were his best seller in tamales. Then I found this web site and found they have been discontinued.
    Like everyone else – I’m having a terrible craving for them – and yes there is nothing to compare – they were excellent. My daughter in Baltimore couldn’t find them there – so I shipped them to her. My other daughter & her child are also missing them – now – that is three of us in one family. There are enough products out there with NO TASTE – Derby did not fall into that category. Please, please, please consider making them again.

• 81 Carol // Jan 6, 2010 at 10:21 am

My Son and I moved to Texas three years ago and we have been searching for his favorite Derby Tamales everywhere (with no luck). We finally just figured it was something else we couldn’t get ‘west of the Mississippi’.
    We went back to Illinois for Christmas this year and I went to all our favorite stores looking for them to no avail. He was soooo disappointed. My Son learned to love them very early on sitting on the knee of his Grandfather. Now his Grandfather is gone and so are the Derby’s Tamales, what a shame.
    Please bring them back! This many people cannot be wrong.

• 82 Phyllis // Jan 10, 2010 at 8:48 pm

I have eaten Derby Hot Tamales since I can remember, about 60 years maybe a little bit less but close.
    If I had known they were out of business. I would have bought a few cases. I loved the jars. I still use them all the time. I saved most.
    I traveled miles to get them. Hormel is awful and they are still on the shelf. I tried them again and they are still awful.
    If Derby ever comes back or there is another like them please let me know. I can cry about a product I loved for so many years.
    The tamales always disappeared so fast I don’t believe they did not sell. Hormels are always on the shelves. Derbys price did go up, that may be the reason if true(I don’t beleive this)they were not selling. I bought 10 to 15 jars at a time.
    Phyllis

• 83 Phyllis // Jan 10, 2010 at 9:07 pm

Me again. If I can’t have the original, is there a way to get the recipe to make them? Is there anyone who makes this tamale that is as good as Derbys. Is there a company that would consider making this wonderful hot tamale? Not overly seasoned but truly just right and juicy also in jars that can be used again like Derbys.
    Thank you for all the information you have given us.
    Phyllis

• 84 LaPreferida are good! // Jan 12, 2010 at 1:04 pm

I looked at the post above about Lapreferida tamales, and they are suprisingly good. They come six toa can, and are slightly smaller than the Derby. They come wrapped in the little wax wrappers, and have the bright orange grease/sauce that we all love so much! WHen you put them in the dish, you would swear you were looking at Derby tamales.
    But, they are made with Beef and PORK, while the Derby were all beef, so that accounts for the taste difference. Sometimes, though, you get a part of the tamale that is mostly or all beef, and it tastes exactly like a derby.
    Try LaPreferida, if you can find them, I get them at a grocery store that stocks a large number of Hispanic foods.

• 85 Scooby // Jan 17, 2010 at 10:15 am

so so so so sad!!!! i have been looking and looking for my favorite tamales DERBY! But no now i no why. So So SO SAD They are the best Please bring them back.

• 86 Big Kahuna // Jan 17, 2010 at 4:41 pm

Conagra Foods SUCK big time.

• 87 Gregg // Jan 17, 2010 at 5:59 pm

If they are going to quit making Derby tamales, the least the company could do is to publish the recipe on the internet!

• 88 MAT SELA // Jan 18, 2010 at 6:15 am

NOW WE MUST TAKE THE NEXT STEPT STAND UP TAKE ACTION WE DEMAND CONAG BRIN BACK OUR ALL BEEF DERBY FOOD–WE LIKE THE TAST –THEY SOLD EVERY JAR EVER PRODUCED–MILLIONS OF BUYERS LOOKING FOR DURBY FOODS ALL BEEF —TAMALES—-WHATS IT GONA TAKE CON-AG–A BOY COTE OF SOMETHING–TO INSPIRE DERBY FOODS TO GET IT BACK ON LINE–OUT

• 89 MAT SELA // Jan 18, 2010 at 6:26 am

OK HERE IT IS -WHO WAS THE BIGEST SELLER OF -D.F. TAMALES-WALMART RIGHT–RIGHT–SO-LETS NOT BUY ANYTHING HORMEL MAKES- + LETS PICK A FEW OTHERS JUST TO LET THEM KNOW WE WANT OUR D.F. TAMALES AND WE WANT THEM NOW–THIS IS GOING TO WORK–P.S.– DOES ANY ONE OUT THERE HAVE A FULL JAR OF DURBY TAMALES PLEASE PHOTO THEM & PUT ON LINE–LIKE YOU TUBE–THATS IT OUT———

• 90 billy // Jan 20, 2010 at 8:38 pm

i will never buy anything with the derby name on it again until they bring back derby tamales derby foods inc. SUCKS BIGTIME

• 91 Sandy // Jan 30, 2010 at 7:22 am

I’ll bet these folks who love Derby tamales as I do would be willing to pay a bit more – would that make a difference? I thought the almighty buck trumped everything.

• 92 karole // Feb 1, 2010 at 8:23 pm

i have been looking for them at all the stores nobody could tell me what happened i thought the company was durkee

• 93 Laura // Feb 2, 2010 at 4:31 pm

I want Derby Tamales back!! I have been eating them for 30+ yrs. My father in law and I enjoy having them for lunch together. Please!!

• 94 r m collard // Feb 15, 2010 at 8:22 pm

i will miss Derby Hot Tamales. one comment above says “damn communists” … it should be “damn capitalists!”

• 95 honey // Feb 18, 2010 at 3:19 pm

How dare they??? Derby tamales were the ONLY ones that were good. Yes, I searched forever too. Just saw on this site they had been discontinued. That figures!!

• 96 Sparkle // Feb 19, 2010 at 9:13 pm

Please, please bring back the Derby tamales. They are the best!

• 97 JACK // Feb 24, 2010 at 10:58 am

MY MOM AND DAD AND MY WHOLE FAMILY HAVE SAVORED THESE TERRIFIC TAMALES FOR YEARS. NOTHING COMPARES. KROGERS USUALLY ORDERED ONE CASE AND WHEN THEY STOCKED THE SHELVES WE BOUGHT ALL WE COULD FIND. NOTHING WE DO WILL BRING BACK WHAT FINANCIAL GUYS DECIDE TODROP.THEY CAN NEVER ADMIT A MISTAKE.

• 98 Sherry // Feb 25, 2010 at 3:22 pm

I like everyone else have hunted for months for Derby Tamales I have eaten them since I was little that was some 50 years ago, I can’t beleive that they wern’t a good selling product all of my family loved them and we all have been trying everywhere to find them only to find out they are no longer being made, the canned ones taste and smell like garbage, Please let all the people who loved them know what we can do to bring them back. I also bought them by the case and will do so again if they are brought back.

• 99 Hal // Mar 3, 2010 at 6:46 am

I’m glad I checked online. I would still be searching for a store who carried them. What a shame. I too, have eaten them for more than 50 years. Please bring them back.

• 100 michael hoffard // Mar 3, 2010 at 11:48 am

This is simple you boneheads bring back the Derby Tamales

• 101 WTF? // Mar 17, 2010 at 11:06 pm

OMG!! I was wondering why they weren’t on the shelves. Who’s stupid idea was it to quit making them?? Apparently some young , stupid newby marketing GUY!! Bring them back NOW!!!!!

• 102 WTF? // Mar 17, 2010 at 11:14 pm

I had Hormel brand tonight; just not the same :( My dad and I used to eat them. Been looking on the shelves for months for them. Shame; sad, sad shame.

• 103 dan vehling // Mar 20, 2010 at 11:06 am

So too did we search in vain for our Derby Tamales!! Now we know why we can’t find them. The canned ones taste like garbage!! Whatever total moron decided to cut them out should be flogged and put in the stocks!!

• 104 love tamales // Mar 22, 2010 at 5:56 am

I have to say that I never tried the Derby brand, but I cannot find ANY canned tamales anymore.
    Even the old standby Swanson Mexican Dinner keeps changing.
    (plus they weren’t wrapped in paper)
    When a recipe calls for such things as lime, and I don’t think they mean the fruit,
    I just can’t picture myself trying to duplicate.
    About that lime—-I’ve wondered if there’s something DANGEROUS about tamales that is causing all the disappearances?
    Its not just your Derby brand folks!

• 105 Don from Chicagoland // Mar 23, 2010 at 12:34 am

I as many others grew up being served Derby Tamales by my family. I can never remember the Derby Tamales sitting on the shelf unsold! On the contrary, most times we had to wait for the next shipment as the store had sold out . I beleve ConAgra must want to fail as so many other companies have due to poor marketing and irrisponsible distribution. Since fads seem to control marketing,I hope a new fad will replace management at CoAgra and return

• 106 Don from Chicagoland // Mar 23, 2010 at 12:40 am

Derby Tamales to the market. If they are unwilling to continue to produce the product, provide the nessessary information to an upstart company that wants to succeed in business and profit from a oversized company like ConAgra who only look at what will make them a fast buck.

• 107 Nancy // Mar 26, 2010 at 11:58 am

I have looked all over for Derby Tamales. That’s how I came across this site. I have eaten Derby Tamales for over 60 years & purchased 2 0r 3 jars per week! Please reconsider! We want them.

• 108 Van from Cincinnati // Mar 26, 2010 at 6:32 pm

ConAgra’s product line will leave me with a bad taste in my mouth when I do my shoping.
    GREEDY BASTARDS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 109 Nick from Texas // Mar 29, 2010 at 12:51 pm

After eating Derby Tamales for more years than we can count and checking every grocery store from Indiana to Texas we finally found out why they disappeared. We too bought them whenever we could find them on the grocer’s shelf. Loved them with scrambled eggs in the morning. If anyone finds a recipe for them please put it on this website; in three years we haven’t found anything to compare! Would love to have them back!

• 110 Dorothy M. // Apr 3, 2010 at 7:55 pm

My sister and I have been eating Derby tamales as long as we can remember. I just found out they are gone forever. What jerk came up with that idea. Hormel stinks. Bring them back or give Hormel the recipe and let them make them.

• 111 bobbie gatewood // Apr 13, 2010 at 8:47 am

I AM TOTALLY OUT RAGGED AT YOU AND YOUR COMPANY HAS LEFT ME WITH NO CHOICE BUT TO GO WITHOUT MY TAMALES AND I AM NOT A HAPPY CAMPER WTH WERE YOU THINKING…… O M G
    I HAVE BOUGHT THEM SO LONG I CAN’T RECALL JUST HOW LONG! TOO LONG FOR YOU TO STOP MAKING THEM
    SO SEND ME THE RECIPE I WILL CONTINUE TO ENJOY THEM …..
    BOBBIE GATEWOOD

• 112 Linda Williams // Apr 15, 2010 at 7:24 am

I am so unhappy about the Derby Hot Tamales I have been looking all over the place for them and just to come up on this web site today to find out you have discontinued my favorite hot tamales, and I agree with Sherry the can Tamales taste like garbage, I have been eating the Derby’s all my life and don’t know what to do. the idiot that came up with the idea to discontinue them should be shot! ConAgra you suck!!!

• 113 Connie // May 3, 2010 at 10:24 am

I can’t believe it! No more Derby tamales in the jar. Why not market them to sell more? Seems to me there are plenty of people who miss them. I have tried the canned tamales and they are horrible! Please bring back derby tamales!

• 114 Jim from Millersville MD // May 3, 2010 at 7:12 pm

Not sure when I started eating them, most likely my dad got me hooked. I can still smell them cooking! Got my daughter hooked. She was able to find them when she went away to college. Been hard to find here in Maryland. Just a damn shame they stop making a product – what too much fat content or what. Wasting my breath, but please bring them back – and kindly fire the idiot that made the decision to drop.

• 115 Cathy // May 5, 2010 at 11:30 am

Please bring Derby Tamales back they were great.
    Everything our family likes seems to disappear.
    We bought a jar or two every week.
    I have 10 in our family that ate them and now they are gone.
    Hormel is terrible and upsets my stomach, Derby never did, I have IBS.
    please post the receipe so i can make them for my family

• 116 Cindy Hanrahan // May 10, 2010 at 7:35 pm

I have never been so shocked, dismayed, and just plain pissed off. I grew up eating Derby Tamales and Armour Star Chili. Now, I can’t find my tamales anywhere and I also discover they are not being made any longer. This just really stinks!!! Armour has decided to change their recipe for chili. You can only image, I am starving for my original foods. Please bring back Derby Tamales. It is one of the only foods I like and I am a very picky eater. PLEASE, listen to the majority of your posts. We want them back!!!

• 117 ed // May 13, 2010 at 10:57 am

just make everybody happy and bring back the derby tamales

• 118 Brandi // Jun 5, 2010 at 6:30 pm

I agree with everyone else. You should DEFINETLY bring Derby Hot Tamales back!!! I am 26 and I too grew up on Derby hot Tamales as did my 27 year old brother and 17 year old sister. We LOVE them. The other tamales just don’t even come close to Derby’s. PLEASE BRING THEM BACK!!!!!

• 119 Prissy Rudkin // Jun 8, 2010 at 1:51 pm

I have been looking for Derby Tamales for years and asked the store in Memphis about them. Please tell me and five people I know where we can get some of the last ones you made. They were truly the best jars tamales we have eaten. Bring them back in an unbreakable jar or can. I heard that was one reason the stores didn’t sell as much due to dropping and breaking. I will beg if that is what it takes. I miss the taste. I bought them for years and now that I know you can bring them back if you really want to I will keep asking. Thank you for the consideration. PRISSY RUDKIN

• 120 Dave // Jun 9, 2010 at 1:06 pm

What idiots! I feel as if I’ve lost an old friend. Derby Tamales always enjoyed a prominate position in our pantry. Maybe Con Agra and the stores should have tried the same approach. I always found a few (if they weren’t sold out) on the bottom shelf looking inconspicuous while the pretenders fill the upper shelves suggesting that this is what you should buy. Those of us who knew better, knew to look for the Derby’s. Too bad the younger shoppers never discovered what was worth buying. Then maybe it’s just as well because there would be even more disappointed customers.

• 121 sharon // Jun 15, 2010 at 6:54 pm

This is just great! My mother died two months ago. Dad is having the worst time. They used to shared Derby tamales on Friday nights. He keeps mentioning that he really wants the tamales. Almost panicking. I thought it was a great idea for Father’s Day. What a disappointment!. If anyone finds anything close please post it.

• 122 Theresia // Jun 16, 2010 at 1:23 pm

I too was searching all the grocery stores looking for Derby Tamales. My local grocery was usually out or low on stock because it was a good mover, and now they are gone! Please bring them back!!!

• 123 Alicia // Jun 20, 2010 at 6:23 pm

My mother and I have always loved Derby Tamales.Is there any place to order any that maybe remaining? If anybody in the St. Louis area knows where some are left please let me know.

• 124 Teresa // Jul 2, 2010 at 8:45 pm

Derby Tamales were a part of my childhood. They were always delicious. It seems like everytime the public likes something, it is taken off the shelves. I am assuming because of money. Not making enough if it,huh? Money hungry jerks!

• 125 Vikki // Jul 11, 2010 at 8:26 pm

This sucks “big” time. Derby Tamales were the best. Bring them back!!

• 126 Michael // Jul 20, 2010 at 5:41 pm

I wish there was a way to get some small manufacturer to pick it up. But the BIG BOYS would probably try and charge them an arm and a leg for the recipe and name. Even if they don’t want it. Don’t you just love large corporate giants. OK, so they won’t make a gazillon $ from this product. Could be they would pick up some additional sales for other products. They support us, we support them. Funny how that works.

• 127 Shirley Williams // Jul 26, 2010 at 1:30 pm

Please Bring Back Derby Tamles
    I realy thing they are sooooooo good
    for a quick lunch treat

• 128 Kaye Carpenter // Jul 28, 2010 at 9:38 am

Derby Tamales have always been mine & my father’s favorite. Every Hormel product tastes the same & are icky….. Please bring back Derby Tamales. We love them & miss them. So sad to see a GOOD product go!

• 129 Kaye Carpenter // Jul 28, 2010 at 9:39 am

Bring back Derby Tamales – we loved them!

• 130 fran // Jul 30, 2010 at 12:32 pm

I grew up on Derby tamales. I am 76 yers old. I cant believe that they are not being made anymore!!! we all loved them my siblings, and kids. PLEASE BRING THEM BACK!!!!!!!!

• 131 Marcia // Jul 30, 2010 at 8:59 pm

Bring back the Derby tamales!!! I have searching high and low for them on grocery sheleves. My 2 brothers and I grew up eating them for lunch and snacks. Please bring them back.

• 132 Gene // Jul 30, 2010 at 9:02 pm

Why did they take Derby Tamales off the shelves??? I love them. Bring them back.

• 133 Adele Ward // Aug 9, 2010 at 2:59 pm

I have been looking for Derby tamales for months. Sorry they are no longer available. There is a niche market for them. Could be sold through the Vermont Country Store.
    I loved the taste of Derby tamales……..

• 134 Theresa // Sep 3, 2010 at 11:16 am

So much for childhood memories, been searching for Derby and thought I couldn’t find them because we have a small grocer, but my Dad just told me that he has been in search of them and can’t find them either.

• 135 Ann // Sep 7, 2010 at 6:14 am

I LOVE DERBY tamales in a jar. I have eaten them for YEARS. NOW they are GONE, like all good things. I WON’T EAT any other brands or kinds(They are NOT the derby kind I like). WHY. Bring them back.

• 136 Judy Kinjg // Sep 23, 2010 at 11:37 pm

My husband and I have been eating Derkee brand hot tamalas for years. PLEASE bring them back ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! ! We have tried other brands and are not very good. Please do owhat you can. THANK YOU

• 137 Kathy // Oct 13, 2010 at 1:37 pm

I have been looking for Derby Tamales for about six months. I have been to every grocery store in my area. Just decided to Google Derby Tamales and find they are no longer made. What a shame. They were so good. My family has been eating them since the 50’s when Frito’s came out with their recipe for Tamale Pie. I still make it but guess I’ll have to use Hormel brand since that is the only thing I can find in the grocery store. Someone needs to make an executive decision and bring back Derby Talames.

• 138 Michael // Oct 22, 2010 at 8:45 am

I to cannot beleve they famous Derby Tamales are no more. What a shame. I have grown up on these things. My mother used to open a couple of jars of these and make a meal for our family. Im 64 and can remember them as far back as I can remember. Again what a shame.

• 139 mike chicago // Oct 23, 2010 at 9:37 pm

I have been, or had been eating Derby tamales for years – so simple to heat up, add cheese and some chips.
    Guess I’ll spend my money on a local company called Lapreferida (not bad for a canned tammale).

• 140 glenda powell // Nov 8, 2010 at 12:57 pm

Let us stop saying boo-hoo and see how to find out how we can start a comeback for Derby tamales. We are a massive group, there hs got to be a start and soon. I am past withdrawal I am ready to march. Who is famous and used to eat the Derby tamales. Come on, come on. Let’s not let this one slide. RESPOND!!!!!

• 141 Vic // Nov 10, 2010 at 10:42 pm

Wife & I have been Derby Tamales lovers for many years and really disgusted at the loss of the only good tasting tamale in the markets. Asked a manager of a huge chain-store if they could be ordered. The poor man didn’t even know what a tamale was, much less how to order since it wasn’t one of their usual brands…The only tamale on the shelves(canned) tastes like “crap” How do we get them back?

• 142 FRANCES BRYAN // Nov 12, 2010 at 3:10 pm

WELL I GUESS I CAN STOP LOOKING FOR DERBY HOT TAMALES!!!! I HAVE BEEN ASKING EVERYWHERE WHERE AND WHY. IF I COULD I WOULD STRIKE FOR THESE TO COME BACK. LOVED THEM!!!!!

• 143 Paul C. // Nov 16, 2010 at 5:10 pm

I just read 142 comments asking for the return of Derby tamales. I too have eaten them all my life and have never heard anyone say they didn’t enjoy them once they tried them. Bring them back!!!

• 144 Anonymous // Nov 20, 2010 at 9:40 am

With the demise of Derby Tamales I will have to start buying glasses.

• 145 WOODARD MCCLURE // Nov 28, 2010 at 8:27 pm

A SAD DAY 4 MANY OF US DERBY TAMALE LOVERS. HAVE EATEN THEM 4 AT LEAST 40 YEARS. IS ANYBODY OUT THERE? WE WANT 2 PURCHASE YOUR PRODUCT WITH$$$$. SAVY? I THINK I AM GOING 2 GET DRUNK:(

• 146 E. Smith // Dec 15, 2010 at 2:02 pm

There was nothing like the taste of the Derby Hot Tamales. As a child I ate them and continued eating them until I could no longer find them in ANY store. Sure hope they come back.
    PLEASE BRING THEM BACK. SO UNHAPPY.
    Sure wish I could find ANY store with a jar still on the shelf.

• 147 becky // Dec 27, 2010 at 4:17 pm

Derby Hot Tamales we my fave I take special trips to another state to get them and haven’t been able to fine them. GRRRRRRRRRR
    Fire everyone and bring them back. I told everyone to look for the glass jar to find them and now I am finding that you have discontinued them. How about giving people samples in the stores. I think better marketing was in order for this wonderful product. Bring them back. Everyone is looking for them for me out of state.

• 148 ellen & mike // Jan 1, 2011 at 9:13 pm

Illinois-please bring back derby tamales. Give us another
    chance. Can’t you sell the brand to somebody that would do a better
    job of marketing an obvious great brand?9

• 149 Neal // Jan 2, 2011 at 6:52 pm

Want to contact companies that might be interested in DERBY
    TAMALES and POSTUM? I’d first try B & G Foods. Among the
    household names in their line: Creme of Wheat, Ortega Mexican Foods
    (you can join their Taco Club), Las Palmas Mexican Foods, Polander
    Preserves, Underwood deviled meat spreads and B & M baked
    beans. I think POSTUM would fit well in their line of breakfast
    foods too. http://www.bgfoods.com/ Worthington / Loma Linda Foods
    might want to make Postum if enough folks want to buy it. Looks
    like a good fit for a long time health foods manufacturer.

• 150 sandra kennedy // Jan 9, 2011 at 4:54 am

I too have been looking for derby tamales, Please,Please,
    bring back Thank you

• 151 neal // Jan 11, 2011 at 12:46 am

Would Pinnacle Foods like to make Derby Tamales? They now
    own the Armour Brand of tinned meats and Nally’s Chili both are a
    close match to tamales in a jar. Check out this link.
    http://www.pinnaclefoods.com How would you tamale fans pitch the idea of
    producing authentic Derby Tamales to Exec’s of a company that makes
    “legacy” brand products? How would they get NEW customers, folks
    that have never had tamales in a jar?

• 152 Cecelia // Jan 11, 2011 at 1:39 pm

Kroger carries a canned tamale that is hardy
    distinguishable from the Derby brand. I hated to see Derby
    disappear too, but the Kroger brand is quite good. And still
    wrapped in paper!

• 153 Ann // Jan 15, 2011 at 12:12 am

I have been looking for Derby Tamales for a long time and
    am so sorry that they have not been available. They were the BEST.
    Please consider bringing them back. It will make many People very
    Happy. All they need to do is advertise and they will sell. Please
    reconsider. Thank You for Your time.

• 154 Neal // Jan 17, 2011 at 12:59 am

Here’s a link to another brand of tamales in a jar available at Walmart.com. Has anyone tried them?

• 155 hoofleau // Feb 3, 2011 at 8:03 pm

Good riddance It’s totally bad food for you!

• 156 Michelle // Feb 17, 2011 at 1:36 pm

Sad to know they are gone. Have been looking in the store for them and searched online to find this :(

• 157 Rita // Mar 13, 2011 at 3:18 pm

I will be 60 this yr + have eaten Derby tamales all my life! I kept looking for them everwhere + then figured they must have stopped making them b4 I saw this site. I am having withdrawal. They were sooo good + easy. Please bring them back!!!

• 158 Rita // Mar 13, 2011 at 3:25 pm

I am blown away at how many people just at this site alone want Derby tamales. I agree the marketing was zero + that means a lot. Someone needs to start making them. I do like homemade ones but these were special. Most restaurants either don’t carry tamales or just don’t know how to make them. (Granted these are not authentic, just delicious + easy.)

• 159 From Detroit Area // Mar 16, 2011 at 3:59 am

As previous postings my family for 3 generations has bought Derby Tamales. What I don’t understand is how a product they couldn’t keep on the shelves because of there popularity would be discontinued??? Doesn’t sound like very good marketing to me!!!

• 160 Shirley // Mar 31, 2011 at 1:26 pm

We are so sorry to hear that Derby tamales are no longer available. We have looked in every store wherever we go to no avail. We enjoyed them so much and the ones in a can are not nearly as good. PLEASE bring them back!

• 161 Mary // Mar 31, 2011 at 4:35 pm

Please bring them back. We love them.

• 162 Rita // Mar 31, 2011 at 5:04 pm

I was in CVS drugstore earlier today + there were the Hormel tamales in a can. I tried them + they are almost exactly like the Derby, just a little smaller + not as greasy (which I hate to say, but I liked the grease.)

• 163 Sandy // Apr 2, 2011 at 6:21 pm

No wonder I haven’t been able to find these. I had no idea until I found this website that they had been discontinued. My mother served it to my brother and me for lunch when we were children. My dad and I still enjoyed them occasionally for a casual dinner. We’re sad to see them go – maybe they’ll be resurrected someday.

• 164 Tedra // Apr 3, 2011 at 6:46 pm

Bring back Derby tamales in a jar…we hate the canned tamales.

• 165 Sue // Apr 17, 2011 at 2:58 pm

I really want some tamales (Derby). We eat them on bread with a slice of american cheese! We’ve had already had a hard time getting them could only find them at Kroger’s but half the time they was out! How exciting when, I would find a jar in the pantry that I forgot I had. Then about a year ago we find out they don’t make them anymore. Came back to find out if they started making them again. Still NO come on Derby give the recipe at least!

• 166 sid // May 7, 2011 at 2:13 am

I grew up eating derby tamales.I’m in my sixties now.I’ve checked all over for them.I just found out the bad news.please bring them back!!

• 167 Bonnie B Matheson // May 10, 2011 at 1:09 pm

I LOVED Derby Tamales. I used to hoard them, because I could only find them in certain stores. Nothing else is as good. Why did they stop making them? Has anyone asked that question?
    Not much branding, there. Where on earth did the name Derby come from? Did they make anything else? But whatever the reasons the discontinued the wonderful tamales, they will be remembered.

• 168 Joe Gonzo // May 17, 2011 at 12:05 pm

June 17th 2011
    Have recently begun my effort at making a small
    stockpile of canned goods and water. I go through the canned good’s section at the supermarket and pick my favorites. But something is missing, Derby Tamales!!! I’ve made several calls and like all of you have discovered ,they no longer make them. It’s hard to believe that the harvest I am gathering will be missing one of the greatest product’s ever put on the shelf.

• 169 L Williams // May 19, 2011 at 11:36 am

You would think that after all these post that someone would wake up and smell the coffee!
    Bring back Derby Tamales!!!

• 170 Kelly // May 25, 2011 at 8:43 pm

I’m with all of you! Derby Tamales; the best. I also have tried Supreme and IlTaco brands, but they’re not as good as Derby with that great sauce. It’s a no brainer; bring back Derby, WE want Derby!

• 171 martha // Jun 18, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I used to heat the Derby hot tamales for my dad as his favorite evening snack. He introdud my son who is 46, TO THE Derby brand and he loved them too. I stocked my son’s cupboard with them and when he ran out he was so disapointed not to be able to get them. He had eaten them for at least 43 years. I bought him some canned by Hormel but they ARE NOT Derby. Please think about starting to make them again. Middletown, Ohio, near Cincinnati.

• 172 Carol // Jun 24, 2011 at 8:19 pm

We too are disappointed and hope to see them on the shelves again. My husband loves them and they were a real treat when I bought them!
    Cincinnati, Ohio

• 173 Terri // Jun 27, 2011 at 10:12 am

My sister has been looking all over for the Derby Tamales. My mom loved them and my sister for some reason was craving the Derby Tamales and could not find any. So I got on line thinking I would order her some and with great disappointment have discovered they are discontinued. With this information I am now craving some. Any chance of them coming back?

• 174 EDDIE SHANK // Jul 5, 2011 at 12:37 pm

DERBY TAMALES WERE MY FAVORITE SNACK ON THIN BED OF CRACKERS.WHAT THE HELL??
    NOW I’M SEACHING FOR RECIPES SINCE CANNED TAMALES SUCK.

• 175 Kyle // Jul 31, 2011 at 5:02 pm

I grew up on Derby Tamales. I think an ad campaign might have been a better idea than taking them off the market. At least the mystery is solved, and I can stop looking for them. And to the genius who decided to 86 another American classic, I hope you’ve been fired by now.

• 176 sam // Aug 16, 2011 at 2:25 pm

you get me hooked on derby tamales can,t find
    a better tamale on the market maybe you shold have gotten rid of the person or persons responible for promotion,s

• 177 sue // Aug 23, 2011 at 7:32 pm

Well, it has been a year since I had derby tamales. I get a craving for them every now and again and it has been within the past year that I had them, so, I went to Schnuck’s and asked a clerk who tried to help me find them – to no avail, but she did say that she frequently had requests for them from people who had their grocies delivered. Wonder how long them had been making them.

• 178 Miranda // Sep 1, 2011 at 10:44 am

I would love to have some derby tamales right now!!!!!!!

• 179 bob // Sep 1, 2011 at 8:08 pm

I will not buy any con agra product!!!!!!!

• 180 Betty // Sep 4, 2011 at 9:53 am

My son and I want Postum back!!!

• 181 Patsy // Sep 7, 2011 at 4:38 pm

Well, I’ve been angry with the grocery stores in my town for not stocking Derby Tamales for some time. I just decided to find them and order several cases of them, and this is what I find! They became obsolete because of some stupid marketing people? Another attack of the BEAN COUNTERS!!! Of course they weren’t selling like they should have. You were in process of killing them off by not providing enough of them in the stores or by not marketing them! How can this many people be wrong! We loved them! Well, we will die off too one day, I guess.

• 182 Mike // Sep 8, 2011 at 5:56 pm

Ive also tried differnt canned tamales in my tamale pie receipe and agree with all here “they suck”

• 183 Eugene // Sep 10, 2011 at 2:29 pm

I was told that Postum had NO nutritional value by several doctors and four different store managers. They are most likely thinking the same about Tamales. We need to send a STRONG MESSAGE to these companies that UNITED STATES Citizens have a choice of what they decide to eat. This is why we live in the U.S., not a government controlled country that controls what you do. These Food Companies are listening to the GOVERNMENT stating the more than 65% of United States Citizens are OVERWEIGHT.

I urge everyone to protest by writing these companies telling them you will be boycotting their products. I would make sure which other companies they own before writing the letter. The companies are buying up the companies that sell similar products. The problem is they are not selling the most purchased products like Drake’s and pushing their Hostess line. The People in Baltimore have gone against the Hostess line and purchase the Drake Cakes from Baltimore/DC thru Maine.

The marketing companies these companies are using are telling the companies things that will help only the marketing companies. They do not seem to be helping companies like Drakes, since Hostess is the main company they made the Drake name small & the signature duck removed and added the HOSTESS named in large letters. This is causing Drakes to lose business because it is confusing loyal customers that will not deal with HOSTESS.

• 184 Sue // Sep 23, 2011 at 9:56 am

The last time I looked for DERBY hot tomales somone else was also looking. We went to the office to ask about them but no one told us they had been killed off. Please search your warehouse for hidden or overlooked case of them and please let me know how many you find. I will buy all af them. I don’t even care if the expiration date is past. I’ll buy them anywy. I can’t live without DERBY hot tomales on rye with onion and mustard. DO YOU THNK THIS IS A MARKETING PLOY??? TAKE THEM OFF THE MARKET, MAKE PEOPLE GET UPSET, STIR UP RENEWED INTEREST AND MAGICALY LET THE REAPPEAR. OK we’re upset now give them back.

• 185 Kathy Schmidt // Sep 29, 2011 at 9:10 am

I miss the Derby Hot tamale. Why does everything that tastes good is always being discontinued for bad tasting replacements.

• 186 Brett W // Oct 4, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I have been looking for the last 2 years for Derby Tamales from store to store and most recently went to Jungle Jim’s which specializes in odd, unusual products that no one else has. None to be found. I can’t believe there is this big of a demand for a product that no longer exists yet the company who made it does not bring it back. Produce it and I will by it via mail order like I do with Jack Stack barbeque sauce for chicken on the grill. Derby Tamales were the best. I am going to boycott the company that did this and tell everyone on Facebook to join the boycott until they bring it back!

• 187 Pam Osborn // Oct 8, 2011 at 12:16 am

No wonder I can’t find them. All the others are terrible. Who decides these things. No warnings so people can let you know this is not what we want. I know lots others who are still out there looking. BRING THEM BACK!!!!!!!

• 188 April G // Oct 22, 2011 at 5:04 am

I agree with Brett W. Nothing compares to Derby Tamales. I guess my question is, does anybody from the company look at this site and read the comments or is all of this for naught? I should print all of these comments and actually mail them to the CEO. So much positive feedback for a product, you would think they should give it some consideration. It certainly would be a best seller.

• 189 Jan S. // Oct 23, 2011 at 10:16 pm

I miss Derby Tamales…and it sounds as if alot of people do…bring them back and think about advertising. Chef-boy-ar-d- pizza changed their sauce too and that newer crap I won’t buy anymore…if it ain’t broke don’t fix it!

• 190 Sherry Sheckles // Nov 11, 2011 at 10:01 am

I was raised on Derby Tamales and raised my children on them. Now it’s time to give them to my grandchildren and they are gone. I like them better than the tamales you get at a Mexican resturant. I miss miss miss them. I buy several things on line that I can’t get in the stores anymore but now I see you have just quit making them. Bummer. If I had known you were going to do this I would have bought up all I could find to last me at least a little while longer. Please bring them back!!!!!

• 191 helen hale // Dec 11, 2011 at 10:05 pm

we have also enjoyed the derby tamales for years . i cant understand why the people that are head of these companies dont understand that , all of us are customers that are saying that we would buy this product if it were on the market . lets see there’s how many people that are looking for work and no jobs . with all these people that you have writing on this site , i think i would take another look at this product . thanks for the memories

• 192 Dave Brown // Jan 2, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Bring em back life is bad when ma ma gets a craving for a jar of derbys

• 193 Michelle Stukel // Jan 3, 2012 at 7:04 pm

Either bring them back or at least post the receipe!

• 194 Pam N // Jan 6, 2012 at 8:02 pm

I can’t believe how many Derby Tamale lovers are out there! I as well has searched and searched for them. Hope the powers to be will hear us, and start selling them again!

• 195 Rick // Jan 7, 2012 at 12:24 am

This is what happens when companies are bought up by other companies.Why can’t they just leave things be?

• 196 Don // Jan 26, 2012 at 12:10 am

I would stock up our panty with Derby beef tamales and everytime my grandchildern would come over, they would ask to have those tamales in a jar. I have 18 grandchildern and everyone of them loved Derby tamales. I agree with everybody in here, they need to bring this product back to market.

• 197 Scott // Jan 29, 2012 at 5:10 pm

For those who want to contact the manufactor:
    Derby Foods Inc
    3327 W 47th Pl, Chicago, IL 60632
    773-847-4403

• 198 Matt S // Feb 20, 2012 at 2:17 pm

PLEASE, BRING THEM BACK!!!!

My mother introdeced Derby tamales to me when I was about ten years old and now i’m 33. I have recently intorduced my wife to tamales and she loves them. I kept telling her how much she would like the Derby tamales once I could find them. Like most that have posted above, I searched every grocery store in town and came up empty handed. Today, I decided to search online for them so that I could show my wife how great they are and I came across this article….

……it is a very sad day, my wife and my children will never get to enjoy a Derby tamale………..they will never know how much better Derby tamales are than the canned competition.

Can we band together and somehow bring these things back. I hate that I have to buy the canned version for a fix and that my wife and kids will never know how great a tamale can really be!

I’m thinking of finding out how they made them and bringing them back.

…..All you tamale lovers be on the lookout for “Matt’s Tamales” in a glass jar!

• 199 Matt S // Feb 20, 2012 at 2:29 pm

Here is the link to their website to contact them about bringing the tamales back. Please contact them.

• 200 Joyce frayer // Feb 29, 2012 at 2:53 pm

What is wrong with your marketing people. Look at all the e mail think about those that do not have this ability. I am 70 and have eaten my share and really miss this product. With all the Hispanic people now in the Illinois area this product would fly off the shelve

• 201 Tamale Lover // Mar 6, 2012 at 8:00 am

I have been eating Derby tamales for about 40 years. Please bring them back you dumb asses!

• 202 Diana // Mar 13, 2012 at 9:50 am

I agree with everyone- please bring them back!! :(

• 203 joann // march 27 // Mar 28, 2012 at 5:23 am

PLEASE BRING THEM BACK , WAS SO GOOD DERBY TAMALES , HOW COULD THEY SELL ANYTHING THEY NEVER HAD ADS ABOUT THEM , THEY BEEN AROUND SO LONG , AND TASTE SO GOOD

• 204 joann // march 27 2012 // Mar 28, 2012 at 5:26 am

CAN YOU GET THEM DIRECT FROM THE COMPANY MAYBE,
    ANY OF YOU EVER HAD TOM TOM TAMALES ARE FRESH MADE BUT ARE VERY GOOD , THEY ARE MADE IN CHICAGO , THEY ARE VERY TASTY

• 205 Rocky Frisco // Apr 25, 2012 at 6:06 pm

Derby Tamales, one of my favorite foods as a child. I went vegetarian in 1971, so didn’t eat them after that. The vegetarian tamales sold by Whole foods and others are not even close. The tortilla wrap is thin and the tamales are painfully hot in flavor. Surely somebody could come close to the Derby texture and seasoning?

• 206 skh.pcola // Jul 11, 2012 at 7:21 pm

ConAgra did the same thing to Wolf Brand tamales after they bought that brand. I used to eat both Derby and Wolf Brand, but I have to say that the demise of the Wolf Brand tamales is more painful than the passing of the Derby brand…Wolf Brand tamales were plump, with a thick, flavorful blanket of masa, and the filling was delicious and high quality. It’s a shame what these corporate Goliaths do to historical products.

• 207 Paul // Dec 27, 2012 at 1:14 pm

A$$HOLES !!!!!!!!!!!!

• 208 Garland Pollard // Dec 29, 2012 at 6:18 pm

ouch!!!

• 209 Mary Ann // Jan 3, 2013 at 6:49 pm

They were a staple in our house growing up. I really miss them. So sad they”re gone. The rest just don’ t compare. Bring them back………you can have the “Twinkies” instead. We’ll trade.

• 210 David // Jan 27, 2013 at 6:40 pm

Ridiculous, those Derby Tamales were a tradition for years with my family. We loved them and now we will miss them. Bring them back.

• 211 Jerry Arbelo // Jan 29, 2013 at 6:39 pm

My Grandfather whom raised me would turn over in his grave to know this. His name was O.Z. Smith and worked and retired from Derby foods in 1974.
    As the rest of you this was a staple of our weekly diet along with Peter Pan Peanut Butter and the Derby Chicken and Noodles (oh my God my mouth waters now). I was raised on these products (Oh the Chili too) as a child from 1959 till they vanished slowly off the shelves. This all happened after Swift / Con-Agra idiots came to reign.
    The only thing left from that era is Peter Pan peanut butter and my Grandfathers retirement plaque and Peter Pan cufflinks and tie clasp made by Anson Jewelry he received for all the loyal years he worked at Derby Foods in Chicago.
    I miss him more than the Tamales but would love to have one meal with my grandchildren to introduce them to the awesome Derby Tamales and Chicken soup. Con-Agra I boycott you and have Jiff in my pantry. As should everyone else.

• 212 Mark Thompson // Jan 31, 2013 at 2:40 am

I am 47 years old and grew up with the best. It was Derby in the jar.Five other brothers and sisters on a strict family buget.Derby was always standing next to us in every compition in life we had to overtake.Sound crazy but a poor family will never forget the simple things in life that made us all reach our goals.Delicious forever you will always be.Ashes to ashes and dust to dust.

• 213 Lisa // Feb 13, 2013 at 10:26 am

I too am 47 and MISSING MY DERBY TAMALES. MY KIDS MISS THEM TOO. Funny no one who works at grocery stores could ever answer why they didn’t have them. I too have tried the canned they are not the same… i used to crumble crackers into the sauce after my tamales were finished. To get ever last delicious bit of my Derby….. bring them back

• 214 Peggy Bayne // Feb 17, 2013 at 9:24 pm

My husband and I have been searching for the Derby Tamales for about 3 years now. I just found out on this website that Derby has followed Castleberry Barbeque Pork to the realms of our memories. I am heartbroken. When we go out to eat, the food doesn’t taste the same even 10 years ago. I cannot get my food cooked well done. We could always count on Derby and Castleberry’s. These always tasted perfect. I agree with the other people on this site, the ones that decided to discontinue these item are IDIOTS!!! I would put that in red if I could. I know they will never bring them back and even if they did they would not taste as good as the original. To me, that is not progress.

• 215 sandra walker // Apr 30, 2013 at 2:09 pm

I WANT DERBY TAMALES BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! SOMEONE DO SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! OUR WHOLD FAMILY LOVES THEM…pleaseeeeeeeee bring them back. I guarantee to buy 100 jars a year!!

• 216 dennis c // May 21, 2013 at 6:43 pm

what were you thinking when you guys took derby tamales off the shelves and out the mouths of millions bring them TAMALES BACK!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• 217 Nora E // Jun 20, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Okay, must have been some one that did like tamales to decide for the rest of us that the glass jar Derby had to be retired. The nerve of taking an American Icon of fast heat and serve away from us and the best tasting in a jar away from us! Shame on you! We miss you Derby beef tamales! COME BACK TO US!

• 218 Susan // Jun 25, 2013 at 7:00 pm

I can’t believe I finally found something on these tamales. I’ve eaten them all my life and for the life of me couldn’t remember the name of them. Now I find them and find out they are no longer being made!!!! This is terrible! I’ve looked all over for these tamales. Please bring them back.

• 219 kay // Sep 2, 2013 at 9:07 pm

I grew up with Derby. Delicious.
    Please bring them back.

• 220 P E // Jan 8, 2014 at 12:24 pm

I MISS my Derby Tamales. We have used them for over 60+ years (my family when I was a child) then our children. Hubby had NEVER had them until we were married. NOW I cannot find them any more. We ALWAYS liked them because: 1) they were NOT greasy like many of the other brands; 2) they had a far superior TASTE than other brands; 3) you could SEE what you were buying in that GLASS JAR. PLEASE, PLEASE bring them back…PLEASE!

• 221 Rosalie Neunlist // Jan 21, 2014 at 11:41 pm

Please we have been looking for them forever and could not understand the stores. So my daughter google it and this is what she found. Many people wanting these tamales and you are not making them anymore.
    I think you should bring them back in the glass jar as they were very appealing the jar and they were GOOD!!!
    Please reconsider and bring them back!!

• 222 Greg Appel // May 15, 2014 at 11:23 am

Bring them back listen to the people everyone i mean everyone wants them and the people fired that got rid of them… You make what the people want read all the people writing get the clue.. Boycott your other products.. Don’t think for us your not a good judge…