The resort was founded in 1952 by John “Doc” and Edy Wilkinson. Growing up in the San Joaquin Valley of California, Doc Wilkinson fell in love with the healing qualities of Calistoga, and created Dr. Wilkinson’s Hot Springs Resort.
Today, his children Mark and Carolynne are the owners, and have run the mud zone for two decades, preserving not only the volcanic mud process but the resort’s original neon sign. The resort marries funky alternative medicine with roadside culture, regional cuisine and California travel. The recipe for the mudbaths is secret.
They advertise themselves as one of Calistoga’s oldest spas, and the only local facility that still operates under founding family ownership.
Dr. Wilkinson’s Hot Springs Resort, 1507 Lincoln Ave., Calistoga, CA 94515, 707-942-4102, www.drwilkinson.com