New Year’s Food: The Top Five Brands of Chitterlings

December 29th, 2009 · 54 Comments

Queenella Chitterlings

It is time for food for the New Year. One such staple of the holidays in the South are chitterlings, or chitlins.

Growing up, of the animal parts, I would eat souse and scrapple, though never chitterlings. Souse is, of course, a head cheese made of the brains of a pig. It is eaten as a cold cut, and is in a sort of jelly, from the natural gelatin in the meat, I think, though I am sure they had to add more. I believe that some of the packaged sandwich meat brands sold souse as part of their product line. It is now totally out of fashion and I wonder if any brands still sell it. As I child, I could stomach it but that was about it. Scrapple (pork brains), however, is a different story. Prepared well, it can be tasty, though the idea of it will kill the taste for most.

In the South, chitterlings (or chitlins) were eaten by the servants, as they were given all the offal. With the new awareness of soul food, suddenly these brands are becoming favored regional traditions, sort of a delicacy. Chitterlings (pronounced chitlins) are still popular, though do not appear on many restaurant menus. Nevertheless, there are strong brands, each having a following in different parts of the U.S. Note: they must be cleaned and officials recommend that they be boiled, so as to prevent dangerous bacterial contamination. They are, after all, a pig’s intestine.

Here, our survey of America’s top chitterling brands.

1. Uncle Lou’s Super-Clean Chitlins are from Cincinnati, Ohio. The brand dates from 1887, and come from a non-Southern perspective. Says the website, “As chitlin users know, preparing chitlins has always been a very long and tedious process. Typical chitlins take a very long time to clean and end up with very little usable product. “Uncle Lou” created a chitlin that takes very little time to prepare and cook.”
  2. Chicago’s Moo & Oink sells chitterlings, all hand cleaned, which seems to be a new culinary standard. They sell them in pails, including five and ten pounders. A 4.5 pounder has all fat and membrane removed. Their they say that “Everybody has a favorite chitlin recipe. Some like them boiled, others fried — but everyone likes chitlins from Moo & Oink.”
  3. Shauna’s is a true African-American brand of Chitterlings. Her Shauna’s Hand Cleaned Chitterlings are sold nationwide, but based in Maryland.
  4. Smithfield’s food service division still sells chitterlings. We seem to remember that Armour and Gwaltney used to sell them in white pails, but have not seen them lately.
  5. Queenella: We found them recently at Sav-a-Lot on Bee Ridge Road in Sarasota.

Tomorrow: The history of Rapa Scrapple of Delaware.

Below, Kings, found on Amazon.

Branding Lesson's from Gloucester's W.J. Stokes Road House
Johnson Products Goes Back To Roots
BrandlandUSA's Top Soul Music Brands (and How to Visit)
History of Rapa, the King of Scrapple

Tags: Grocery · Regional Brands

• 1 Shayla // Dec 31, 2009 at 7:58 am

Thanks for posting this! For the past few days I’ve been trying to find which precleaned chitterlings are best, cause this will be my 1st time cooking them for the family. Glad I found this!

• 2 Garland // Jul 19, 2010 at 3:54 pm

lot of folks are having a hard time finding these brands….suggest calling up your local grocery store manager

• 3 Esther Sawyer // Nov 1, 2010 at 10:40 am

I started buying Aunt Bessie’s Chitterlings (frozen in bag) when I lived in South Carolina. They are ABSOLUTELY clean and not bleached! All you do is rinse well and cook. It looks like the whole intestine is left intact in about 6-10 inch pieces. You need to rinse under running water and then turn inside out and do the same. I have never had to do anymore than that. The problem is you can usually only find them at IGAs in the south and some KMART Superstores (if you can find one) in the North.

Queenella brand is bleached and therefore flavorless, once you thrown away a good portion of them. Uncle Lou’s also have to be cleaned and both of these brands are torn up in pieces.

Any suggestions as to how I go about convincing the meat counter managers at IGA stores, here in Ohio, to order Aunt Bessie’s? I am certain that once anyone that loves chitterlings, but hates to clean them, will never buy anything else. I would like to stop having to take 2 coolers to South Carolina with me, when I go.

• 4 Van // Nov 9, 2010 at 6:38 pm

I bought some queenella pork chitterlings,and they were’nt not clean at all. It look like chitterlings in the pail.

• 5 love // Nov 23, 2010 at 8:24 pm

I brought your Queenella chitterlings (lot 0091)they are suppose to be premium triple cleaned,Ready to cook,they were not even clean and I spend all that money for them .I could had just brought a pail of chitterling.

• 6 Garland Pollard // Dec 1, 2010 at 11:39 am

a reader is looking for chitterlings in Rockford, Illinois, and in particular longer ones. Any help a reader could provide would be great.

• 7 Joette Wells // Dec 5, 2010 at 12:03 am

Gueenella chitterlings are the worse things on the market today. To promote those chitterlings as clean is just too disgusting for words. I will never buy any thing else from that company.

• 8 lorraine adams // Dec 15, 2010 at 9:56 am

I was very disappointed with the chitterlings i purchase, they were very dirty.

• 9 Sondra // Dec 19, 2010 at 6:55 pm

Queenella chitterlings were the dirtiest I have ever seen. If some one threw them into a pot and cooked them they would probably have food posion. I am reporting them to the board of health. How dare they say they are clean!

• 10 lorraine adams // Dec 20, 2010 at 8:12 am

queenella are very dirty .

• 11 J. Wyatt // Dec 21, 2010 at 8:13 pm

I was never so disappointed in the preclean Queenella Chitterlings. They are not by no means ready to rinse and cook. I bought 5 bags and they were no different from the regular ones. One bag I believe was mixed up with the throw away, because most of the bag was the testicles and waste. In this one bag I found ONE usable chitterling. However all of the other bags had plenty testicles in them. I am very disappointed.

• 12 LaVann Adams // Dec 25, 2010 at 3:29 pm

I was so disappointed in my preclean Chittterling.There was no way I could have wash and cooked them.I will never buy Queenella Chitterling again.

• 13 brownie // Dec 30, 2010 at 9:02 am

aunt bessie’s the best ever

• 14 Esther Sawyer // Dec 30, 2010 at 2:28 pm

You can now purchase Aunt Bessie’s Chitterlings in Dayton OH at Food for Less on East Third St. Is anyone aware of another place in Dayton that has Aunt Bessie’s?

• 15 kym choice // Feb 1, 2011 at 11:26 am

all chitterlings have to be clean either way so there’s nothing going to stop me from eating queenella chiterlings as long as i have water. the only chitterlings i refuse to eat ,are the ones that’s already cooked,those are the ones that’s not clean that’s nasty

• 16 kym choice // Feb 1, 2011 at 11:30 am

the frozen chitterlings that’s sold in the little buckets heat and serve. Now that’s who need to be sued. they did not clean any of that bucket of mess

• 17 AUNT JAMIAMA // Nov 10, 2011 at 9:02 am

QUEENELLA CHITTLINS ARE VERY CLEAN, I BOUT SOME AND LOVED THEM! STOP HATIN ON ELLA

• 18 Sallie // Nov 15, 2011 at 12:15 pm

Sorry Aunt Jamiama but I just bought Queenella’s chittlins and they are nasty , will not ever buy them again . Just try Aunt Bessie’s and see which ones are cleaner. I am not a hater.

• 19 Betty R // Nov 21, 2011 at 7:48 am

Queenella chittlins are the WORST. Triple cleaned, just rinse and cook! BULL. They were nastier than the ones in the bucket. Once I cleaned them properly, I had a mouthful left. DO NOT buy this product. It is a waste of good money.

• 20 annomous // Nov 22, 2011 at 8:38 pm

WORST CITTERLINGS EVER

• 21 Ruth // Nov 23, 2011 at 10:59 am

I purchased four bags of your Queenella Tripple Clean Chitterlings. Three of the four bags were not clean and of the three, I had to clean two bags as if they came out of the diy buckets. Each bag had LOT 0016 on it.

I paid $6.99 each plus tax and I think it is unfair that the product was not representative of it’s label.

Please see that this message gets to management.

You Need to Know This,

• 22 Food Critic 1 // Nov 23, 2011 at 11:30 am

I contacted the corporate office today. I am a consumer of Queenella brand chitterlings. I purchased 6 packs yesterday from Walmart in Atlanta, GA. The packaging is blatantly and falsely advertising rinse, cook and eat in a 5lb bag. However, I have several issues with those statements: – The chitterlings are not cook and eat ready. Had I just rinsed, cooked and ate like the packing states my entire family would have been rushed to the emergency room. These chitterlings are filthy, with all types of waste in the packaging. – The package also states 5lbs which is also blatantly and falsely advertised. The contents of the package weighed in at little under 3.25lbs and another package was just under 3lbs

Moo & Oink clean chitterlings like I would they contain no waste, hair, fat, membranes or anything but clean chitterlings. They are just expensive. But it’s worth it. Too bad they are not in Atlanta.

• 23 Darlene // Dec 10, 2011 at 2:33 pm

The best pre-clean chitterlings you can purchase is Uncle Lou’s. They have the cleaniest chitterlings, but you still have to go over them,but it does not take long.

• 24 MSB58 // Dec 12, 2011 at 5:57 pm

I PURCHASED IBP BRAND CHITTERLINGS IN THE RED BUCKET FROM SAVE A LOT. HORRIBLE I MEAN HORRIBLE. JUST NASTY. SO NASTY THAT I HAD TO THROW THEM OUT. I GUESS I’LL GO BACK TO QUEENELLA.

• 25 Vaddas Rosella D Meadows // Dec 13, 2011 at 3:01 pm

I bought a 10 LB bucket of Smithfields from Kroger there was more waste than usable meat.
    The bucket says 10LBS by the time you unthaw you have a bucket full of water and about 7LBS of product then once you clean them you might get 3 to 4LBS This is not worth the price. I got them on sale for $8:00 I should have bought a different brand at regular price.

• 26 Bronzeville Sugar // Dec 18, 2011 at 10:40 pm

I bought the Aunt Bessie Chitterlings and still had to clean them. They don’t take the membrane off of them. I didn’t mind doing it though but it did result in less chitterlings.

I have also purchased the Moo & Oink chitterlings and look forward to seeing how they look.

I’ve also heard that the Uncle Lou’s are not that clean as well.

Thanks for the heads up on the Queenella chitterlings.

The Moo & Oink Chitterlings were on sale for the 4.5 lb. pail. They’re thawing so I’ll report back.

• 27 Ne ne // Dec 20, 2011 at 6:01 pm

Queen. Chitterlings are the worse. I dont eat them but my great great aunt use to slaughter her own hogs. So I knpw about the water hose and everything. queen chitterlings should not false advertise that they are triple cleaned. I cleaned 2 bags for husband and his dad and when he came in he said ” why you didnt buy more than one” I tole him I did over half the chitterlings were waste.

• 28 BreeNee // Dec 21, 2011 at 1:27 pm

I usually buy ‘Aunt Bessie’s’ super clean’ chitterlings to clean & cook for my family around the Holiday Season. THEY ARE THE BEST!! Very, Very Little crap on them and are quite tasty, to boot.

This year, however, I took a chance and bought ‘Uncle Lou’s’ super-clean chitterling – (the store I went to didnt have “Aunt Bessie). Now, I KNOW that we (the consumer) have to go over & clean even the cleaniest of chiterlings before cooking them, just to be sure, and I expect some of them to be in need of additional cleaning. But Uncle Lou’s brand of Super Clean chitterlings (I purchased 15 lbs @ $5.99 per 5 lb pack) are THE worst I’ve EVER seen in my 45 yrs of life!!

These are ridiculous!! They are LOADED with crap on each side of every strand I pick up to inspect and clean!! Then to top it off, I recieved TWO rectums AND a penis in One of the bags (No Joke)!! I am SO disgusted right now!! UNCLE LOU’S BRAND OF CHITTERLINGS ARE NO WHERE NEAR CLEAN, LET ALONE, SUPER CLEAN!!!

I don’t normally complain on blogs or websites, but I’ve been cleaning these for FIVE hours straight, and I’m nowhere close to being finished. These are utterly atrocious!!! Needless to say, this is the LAST time I purchase ANY of ‘U.L’s’ products and I will be telling ALL of my family and friends about this experience and admantly ask them NOT to but Uncle Lou’s Super-Clean Chitterlings!! ‘ Super – Clean’ …. what a joke!!

• 29 Minnie Taylor // Dec 21, 2011 at 3:51 pm

I can DITTO what Betty R. and others said above about Queenella Chitterlings!!! This MESS is GOSH AWFUL, and cost more because they are SUPPOSED to be clean. “Rinse, cook, and eat” is a huge joke!!! Don’t do it folk, and whatever you do, NEVER cook chitlins frozen. The four bags that I have in my sink right now are DISGUSTING. If you want rather clean chitlins folk, DON’T BUY QUEENELLA!!! I repeat, DON’T BUY QUEENELLA!!!

• 30 IceCake // Dec 21, 2011 at 7:51 pm

What IDIOT put this article together???, they must have not done their research!!!! Aunt Bessie’s is the BEST and the CLEANEST brand of chitterlings that you can ever buy in a bag, and deserve to be in that #1 spot, in fact, it should be the only one talked about in this article because to others don’t even come close in comparison.

I used to clean chitterlings by the bucket, before bag chitterlings came along. Over the years, I tested different brands of bagged chitterlings, and discovered that Aunt Bessie’s are TRULY the cleanest, the company stands by what they advertise on the bag……..”Just Rinse and Cook”.

Don’t be fooled by the mis-information of this article, and to think that the article writer did NOT even give one mention of Aunt Bessie’s brand is an ABSOLUTE joke, as well as showing his/her lack of knowledge.

Try Aunt Bessie’s once, and you’ll happily never go back to those other GARBAGE brands!!!! :)

• 31 Inscent // Dec 22, 2011 at 11:16 am

I can’t believe that Aunt Bessie’s brand of chitterlings did not make this list, it should have been at the number 1 spot because they have the cleanest to ever be packaged in a bag. What they advertise is what you get, “Just Rinse and Cook”, true words indeed!!

Now, I’ve tried several brands of bagged chitterlings before, and they all fail in the area of cleanliness, the exception, however, is Aunt Bessie’s.

Try them once, and you’ll never want any of the others listed above.

• 32 Ruby Red // Dec 23, 2011 at 1:12 am

Uncle Lou’s chitlins are awful. I likewise just spent over five hours on three bags and they were so filthy and hard to clean. They also had a lot of scraps in them which made them very hard to clean. My hands are so chapped and I got repetitve strain on some injured fingers that I have. My neck is stiff and my feet hurt from standing so long. I could scream because I had so much to do that I didn’t get done. I won’t forget this and somehow I want everyone to know that they are awful! I was fooled by this article that said they were the best of five different brands. I should have got Aunt Bessie’s!

• 33 Chitterlin eater // Dec 23, 2011 at 3:22 pm

I have never purchased any of the brands listed except for moo & oink…been buying them for years, now that I no longer live in chgo, when I visit I take a couple of pails back with me. Moo and Oink is now closed, so where do we get our chitlin now!

• 34 mary // Dec 29, 2011 at 2:35 pm

AUNT BESSIE’S ARE THE BEST EVER THERE IS NO BETTER CHITTERLINGS!!!!!!!

• 35 connie // Jan 1, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I had no choice but to buy Queenella’s chitterlings new years weekend and “OMG” they are the worst. uncleaned and horrible. Talking about false advertisement. I will never ever buy them again. ( Aunt Bessie where have U been all my life)? you have the cleaniest chitterlings ever.

• 36 Rhoda // Apr 4, 2012 at 7:41 pm

Aunt Bessie are the best I just had to rinse them off.

• 37 Cassandra // Oct 3, 2012 at 9:42 pm

Today I tried “Aunt Bessie” brand and they are ABSOLUTELY CLEAN! Omg I was very impressed…Baton Rouge, Louisiana

• 38 timberly // Nov 8, 2012 at 9:08 am

where can i find the mo and oink chittelins in the white bucket i really like them the ones that are clean can you provide me with the store that carries them

• 39 RENEE // Nov 21, 2012 at 1:05 pm

The worst chitterlings you can buy is Parks cleaned and cook!! I don’t like the sauce they use so when I thawed them out to rinse them I was totally disgusted!! Everyone of them were filthy!!! I’m from Toledo,Ohio and I was gonna send a picture to our news team to show what a health hazard this could have been!! Must be partners with Wilsons

• 40 DARYL FRANKLIN // Dec 1, 2012 at 9:47 am

I am in Hobbs, NM this pasted Thanksgiving my dad come down from Ohio and we cooked so “Aunt Bessie” brand and i will never eat any other brand besides Aunt Bessie. Is their any one that can tell me how to get some shiped.

• 41 Francine // Dec 25, 2012 at 1:02 am

I love Aunt Bessie chitterlings. I am kicking myself for waiting until two days before Christmas o buy my chitterlings. I ended up buying IBP clean chitterlings. They were horrible. Had to be cleaned and then didn’t have enough to take to the family dinner. I had more crap than chitterlings

• 42 cassie J. // Dec 26, 2012 at 8:47 am

I found some not so tasty, audies” they are white and you have to cook all day!! REQUESTED A REFUND!!!

• 43 THERESA JONES // Dec 27, 2012 at 12:19 pm

AUNT BESSIES ARE THE CLEANEST CHITLIN IN EVER HAD. THEY ARE THOUROLY CLEAN. JUST RINSE AND COOK. NO FAT, NO TRASH, NO HAIR OR CORN. THEY ARE WONDERFUL. I BUY THEM FROZEN IN A 5LB BAG. I BUY AT 9AM AT 1 PM IM EATING. THEY ARE TRULY THE BEST. IMPORTED FROM DENMARK. THERESA FROM BUFFALO, NY. I WILL NOT BUY ANY OTHER BRAND.

• 44 Gladys Williams // Mar 6, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Aunt Bessie is definitely the BEST in my oponion. I just cannot find them where I live. They are the cleanest I have ever seen! I have tried to find some stuff on them and it was not any! OMG!!! THEY ARE THE BEST TO ME!!!!! If anyone knows where I can buy some in eastern NC, please let me know! Thanks

• 45 ladyvader // Sep 10, 2013 at 4:43 pm

Aunt Bessie’s are great but sometimes I wonder are they really from the hog or pig. Has anyone been to their plant to see how they are cleaned. Don’t get me wrong, they are clean and good, but it makes me wonder how large they are…hum!

• 46 Gigi // Nov 28, 2013 at 8:47 am

I have tried lots of pre-cleaned chitlins that were not even close to clean, and based on these reviews decided to give Aunt Bessie brand a try. OMG! They are actually clean. I bought three 5lb bags and went through each and every chitlin with a fine tooth comb and found no straw, corn, or other fecal matter. As a chitlins lover, I am ecstatic!

• 47 Eleanor Pratcher // Nov 28, 2013 at 11:06 am

These are the worst I have ever cleaned. I did it out of love for my Aunt Lillie. We cleaned 25 lbs and end up with 5lbs. The batch looked like they were from poor pigs.

• 48 Sonya Gaddy // Nov 30, 2013 at 10:49 am

I bought Queenella Chitterlings for Thanksgiving, the biggest mistake i ever made. I’m not sure how they determine how much goes in a bag, or bucket, i suppose weigh them. I came across a bag with a rectum and two tits, and they were dirty as ever, i didnt even get a one plate serving out of them, thinking the mentioned items took up the weigh space. I was very dissapointed and like they say, “you learn from your mistakes!” I will never buy them again. I really put emphasis on “DIRTY”

• 49 Bructuck // Dec 7, 2013 at 6:39 pm

Apparently none of you have ever tryed Chitlins from the Gourmet Food Center in Detroit Mi. They are the best. All of the Chitlins are 100 % hand cleaned. The company has been in business for 25 yesars an have an excellent reputation throughout the entire country. You can order them online an have them delivered right to your front door anywhere in the U.S. and Canada. Our motto is We Clean the S*#t out of Chitlins. For immediate delivery order yours today from the Gourmet Food Center, Home of the cleanest Chitlins in the USA

• 50 Deborah // Dec 9, 2013 at 9:11 pm

I need to know where to find Aunt Bessie”s Chittlins in Atlanta Ga. I will need them by christmas…thanks

• 51 Deborah // Dec 9, 2013 at 9:15 pm

I have purchased U.L before and they are pretty good in taste…not too dirty, but cleaner than the bucket….and don’t take as long to clean.. I want to try Aunt Bessie’s this year….

• 52 CC Anthony // Jan 6, 2014 at 7:46 pm

Chitterlings….A U D I E S…. brand. Do Not Purchase!!! they are HA HA HA AH ….ONLY the white linings and no sweet meat. Someone should clue this company that they have it all wrong. If the price is a penny, I repeat run and do not walk. They are horrible. Not even fit for the trash *****I RECEIVED A FULL REFUND*****

• 53 IECDANNY // Mar 5, 2014 at 2:06 pm

Being from Mississippi where “chitlins” are popular “when prepared by someone that knows what they are doing” I have to agree with the general opinion about queenella -not fit for the trash can thankfully Aunt Bessies imported from Denmark distributed by CKF Foods is available here they are the only ones you want!!!

• 54 Vertie /2014 July 11 // Jul 11, 2014 at 8:07 pm

I am in Phoenix Ariz. I have tried most brands of chitterling, but I found Bessies to be the best in cleanest taste good too. I just can”t found them most of the time so when I do I try to buy as many as I can. Can some one tell where I can found another locate here in Phx.